USA refugees Huh?

Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA refugees Huh?

Originally Posted by paw339
Lets not forget the Canadian government ended the special status for Haitians before the US and the majority of Haitians have their asylum claims turned down by Canada and are being deported.
Canada and US just as bad as one another then WTF
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

It is both bizarre and unacceptable that Canada should accept this mass influx of asylum-seeking migrants originating from the United States, the richest country in the world.

Stephen Gallagher: We must stop the mass influx of illegals now | Vancouver Sun

Last edited by paw339; Aug 29th 2017 at 4:54 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I read an interesting article the other day (sorry no link) lamenting how resilient Presidents Trump's support has been considering how awful/useless etc he has been (author didn't like him) . One of the biggest reasons he gave was pushback because of false accusations of racism and bigotry against people just because they didn't like illegal immigration and even immigration in general. The author gave many examples of why someone wouldn't like immigration without being racist (eg labour supply-wages) even though he was pro immigration himself. He also referenced surveys which showed immigrants in general had similar concerns over immigration levels and illegal immigration compared to native born after a few years and they weren't being accused of being racist.
I would have thought it impossible to falsely accuse Trump and, by extension, his supporters of racism. Did somebody say they don't like Norwegians?
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It is both bizarre and unacceptable that Canada should accept this mass influx of asylum-seeking migrants originating from the United States, the richest country in the world.

Stephen Gallagher: We must stop the mass influx of illegals now | Vancouver Sun
It is quite frightening that he appears to be one of the members of the board that will determine their claims for asylum.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's not about what I would do...
Sure...I was just making the point that understanding why someone does something isn't the same as approving breaking laws as your earlier comment suggested.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Swamped? Please check your bigotry at the door.

Germany isn't landlocked.
Originally Posted by carcajou
I don't believe bats actually thinks I am a bigot.

I actually think it was a lame and disingenuous attempt to bully me off the thread for having an (actually, just slightly) different political viewpoint than bats. When I called the poster out, I think he or she stammered and then invented that bit of linguistic astrology about "swamped" as a way to save face.

Another poster used "flood" to describe asylum seekers but had political viewpoints more in tune with them, so both bats and BristolUK allowed that to slide.

"Swamped" has been used THOUSANDS of times in news articles about the situation (as has "flood!") without a peep because rational and logical human beings do not see any connection to race, ethnicity or bigotry in that term.

"Bigot" is a very, very strong word that should only be used against - well, actual bigots.

It isn't a term to play around with, or to be used as a lazy smear against others for daring to have degrees of political or ideological thought difference. Shame on the poster for using it in that way, and I will continue to call out false and dishonest allegations against me in that way, just as forcefully as I have here.
Let's just clear this up.

I have not called you a racist. I have not called you a bigot. I did say "leave your bigotry at the door" in response to posts that in my opinion display an intolerance towards asylum seekers/illegal border crossers/ migrants. You escalated the conversation with your diatribe.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 6:27 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sure...I was just making the point that understanding why someone does something isn't the same as approving breaking laws as your earlier comment suggested.
I would most likely stay in the US and hope that the Gov there extend my stay. I am not sure I would make my family walk across a border then be submitted to life in a tent in a sports stadium. Theoretically of course
Old Aug 29th 2017, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I would most likely stay in the US and hope that the Gov there extend my stay. I am not sure I would make my family walk across a border then be submitted to life in a tent in a sports stadium. Theoretically of course
Another option would be to return to Haiti and help to rebuild what was destroyed.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Another option would be to return to Haiti and help to rebuild what was destroyed.
Now your thinking yeh, I guess I would

Although I heard on tha radio today that the monies raised thru the Red x totalling 1/2 billion dollars was enough to only build 6 houses ?

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timein.../%3fsource=dam

Last edited by magnumpi; Aug 29th 2017 at 7:22 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Now your thinking yeh, I guess I would...
You have the shirt for it, give or take 5000 miles or so
Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's not about only showing tolerance to groups you agree with, but to groups who are themselves tolerant. The inherent principle of tolerance is undermined if it is to excuse a group acting with intolerance.
Hitler, Mao and Stalin would probably have used the same sort of logic.

Do groups from the extreme left show tolerance any more than those on the extreme right ? I met extreme leftists during a time in France many years ago, and while I disagreed with their views I certainly treated them with tolerance and politeness, as I would a group at the other end of spectrum.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Really? I assume you disagree with ISIS. Would you tolerate them?
Well, well. There is a distinct difference between a group that is a current and widespread threat, than a group that simply is a small group with views that I disagree with but represents no real or significant threat.. I think we all know that.

There are many ISIS religious/ideological objectives that are shared by religious Muslims whom I wouldn't be personally intolerant of just because we differ-unless their views helped promote, or actually supported a group like ISIS.

And how else can an intelligent open-minded person learn but by considering different points of view ? The recent demonstrations at Berkeley and the violence employed, show the dangers of "tolerant" groups trying to impose their "tolerant" opinions by shutting down others.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:16 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Hitler, Mao and Stalin would probably have used the same sort of logic.

Do groups from the extreme left show tolerance any more than those on the extreme right ? I met extreme leftists during a time in France many years ago, and while I disagreed with their views I certainly treated them with tolerance and politeness, as I would a group at the other end of spectrum.
Hitler, Mao...how about Genghis Kahn? Pol Pot? No idea what they think, personally.

Nobody is suggesting that the 'extreme left' have some sort of right to be violent or ant social, and your tolerance and politeness is only because this group posed no real threat to you.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:11 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by morpeth
The recent demonstrations at Berkeley and the violence employed, show the dangers of "tolerant" groups trying to impose their "tolerant" opinions by shutting down others.
Ah, so you're with Trump on the blame on both sides then. No more need be said. But I'm going to say it anyway.

The first group (taking their guns and other weapons to a march) wants to get rid of jews, blacks etc It's what they were chanting and it's what they say.

They are prepared to kill people who disagree. They said this. They said the death of the woman run over was justified.

I'm bewildered by your idea that the group of people who object to these violent actions against others are the ones wanting to impose their ides on the first group.

I'm not sure even Trump would sound so....I'm stuck for the right word...deranged? Is that too strong?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:02 pm

Texans will swamp Canada soon, as Texas is a swamp now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.