Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Us goods and travel boycott

Us goods and travel boycott

Old Jul 16th 2018, 8:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Us goods and travel boycott

Originally Posted by bats
Even without the Trump idiocy surely ot makes sense to support the local economy? Buying local fruit and veggies means that you eat food in season too and don't contribute to the huge amount of food miles. I haven't seen fresh local cauliflower yet, just USA but the frozen packs are Mexican and cheaper than the fresh. I found Quebec made dish soap in Giant Tiger. we bought Canadian made flooring, on sale too. So far so good.

Did you ever watch "100 mile challenge" ?

If food is grown in Mexico and then shipped in freezer trucks to Canada via the US .. doesn't that count for 'food miles' ?
Do you drink Orange Juice? Apple Juice?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2018 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 9:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Apple juice is easy, orange juice is often shipped from the US in concentrated form then hydrated and packaged in Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 9:31 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The problem I often find with local products is they tend to always cost a fair amount more, not always but imports tend to be cheaper, and a lot of the fruits I like cannot be grown in Canada so no choice but to get imports.

I'll pay a reasonable price for BC fruit but not double the price which I often see the BC grown fruits priced at.

Being a price sensitive shopper, the lowest price wins, can't be picky about where it's made when on a small budget.
I'm much the same with the price.

​​​​​​​I can't stand Safeways or IGA as its too expensive.

As much as I would love to buy local it wont happen unless i move out into the sticks where the local farms are. You seem to pay a premium in Vancouver for BC grown fruit and veg
Old Jul 16th 2018, 11:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Frank's Red Hot sauce I'm putting in my soup is from the states; when it's empty I'll replace it with Cholula from Mexico. It's a little more money but every bit as good and possibly better.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 12:23 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not being flippant but Alex might be out of a job driving his truck if there's nothing to move.
It's not flippant but an example of how much the two countries are interdependent. Several USA companies have Canadian or essence and employ Canadians so how much does a boycott affect them?
Originally Posted by Siouxie
Did you ever watch "100 mile challenge" ?

If food is grown in Mexico and then shipped in freezer trucks to Canada via the US .. doesn't that count for 'food miles' ?
Do you drink Orange Juice? Apple Juice?
Of course it contributes to food miles. If I buy Canadian from BC the product has travelled much further than American from New York. These days my buying decisions are based on resisting Trump and his efforts. I can't do much to stand up to the rise of the right, this populism but what I can do I will.

No I don't drink fruit juice but MinuteMaid has a factory in Peterborough so if I did drink the stuff then buying their products would support Canadian workers.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It's not flippant but an example of how much the two countries are interdependent. Several USA companies have Canadian or essence and employ Canadians so how much does a boycott affect them?
I was thinking more local, literally, within Canada. Nobody in Atlantic Canada buys stuff from anywhere else, ditto BC and Ontario, so fewer trucks driving produce across Canada.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was looking at local berries last week at Save On, they were double the price of Mexican and California imports so I skipped them and bought the imports, maybe I'll have to try Safeway, they are not convenient to us so we don't go there normally but might be worth a visit.

The problem I often find with local products is they tend to always cost a fair amount more, not always but imports tend to be cheaper, and a lot of the fruits I like cannot be grown in Canada so no choice but to get imports.

I'll pay a reasonable price for BC fruit but not double the price which I often see the BC grown fruits priced at.

Being a price sensitive shopper, the lowest price wins, can't be picky about where it's made when on a small budget.
We're all price sensitive shoppers in our own way.

I grant you, Safeway is not always the cheapest for fruits and veggies (or anything), but neither is Save-ON or any of the other grocery chains. However, they all have their specials, and blueberries are one of the berries that our Safeway often sell very cheaply during the BC season.

We're restricted to Safeway because it is our local grocery store, but there are other places where we can buy veggies ...............

Kin's Markets are all over Vancouver, and they usually have very good veggies and fruits, and many that you don't find elsewhere as they cater to a large Chinese market.

There are also large Chinese veggie stores around ..... one is on Granville Street in Marpole (you might well pass it on your way to work). It's called the Grand Marpole Market ....... huge selection of veggies and fruits. I know several people who shop there because the product is good and well priced. I'm sure there are similar around Vancouver
Old Jul 17th 2018, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
We're all price sensitive shoppers in our own way.

I grant you, Safeway is not always the cheapest for fruits and veggies (or anything), but neither is Save-ON or any of the other grocery chains. However, they all have their specials, and blueberries are one of the berries that our Safeway often sell very cheaply during the BC season.

We're restricted to Safeway because it is our local grocery store, but there are other places where we can buy veggies ...............

Kin's Markets are all over Vancouver, and they usually have very good veggies and fruits, and many that you don't find elsewhere as they cater to a large Chinese market.

There are also large Chinese veggie stores around ..... one is on Granville Street in Marpole (you might well pass it on your way to work). It's called the Grand Marpole Market ....... huge selection of veggies and fruits. I know several people who shop there because the product is good and well priced. I'm sure there are similar around Vancouver

We go to several markets on Hastings near where we live, and sometimes commercial drive but the stores on Hastings tend to be cheaper, suppose the folks on Commercial Dr will pay more but the prices are generally good and lower then any of the grocery stores.

I never go up Granville, and don't know that area well. I go up Marine Dr up Cambie, to 41st then down Knight to get to/from work.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was thinking more local, literally, within Canada. Nobody in Atlantic Canada buys stuff from anywhere else, ditto BC and Ontario, so fewer trucks driving produce across Canada.
Could you please point me to these not so famous coconut tree, orange tree, banana tree and coffee plantations in Atlantic Canada. I don't doubt they exist, but I have to admit that I would be very surprised if they produce enough to satisfy the needs of the residents of Atlantic Canada.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Could you please point me to these not so famous coconut tree, orange tree, banana tree and coffee plantations in Atlantic Canada. I don't doubt they exist, but I have to admit that I would be very surprised if they produce enough to satisfy the needs of the residents of Atlantic Canada.
You probably missed it but the discussion was on buying local produce. I'm pretty sure that things NOT produced locally don't come into it.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:16 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not avoiding travel to the US, mainly as my girlfriend is 'merican, and I'm rather fond of her to say the least, and I enjoy the frequent trips to Buffalo to visit her family, plus the odd trip to various places to visit friends living in the US, or a little vacation in maine by the beach.
Boycotting US goods isn't happening either. I'm far too lazy to check where items are made when purchasing things, plus as others have said, some products are not available in Canada, and in addition, some that are tend to be priced above, sometimes by quite an amount, their US price point.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Even products made in the US may use Canadian raw materials so a reduction in sales of those products can hurt Canadian companies/farmers etc.

Mustard seed comes to mind, a lot of the brands in Canada are made in the US from Canadian grown mustard seed, which is why I believe the Canadian gov't dropped mustard from the tariff list.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Yes, a lot of the mustard comes from Saskatchewan. We sell some varieties to Germany and France so they can make their traditional product. I bbq'd hotdogs for lunch at work and we put French's mustard on them (as well as ketchup and relish) so the pic in the link is accurate.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mus...nada-1.4737595
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

I looked at my aquarium supplies out of curiosity to see where stuff was made.

Tank and stand made in China by a Israel based company.
Light made in China for a US based company, label says designed in USA/Made in China.
Chemical test kits all made in US
Heater a US company but made in China
Auto Top off German company, made in Germany
Glass scrapper German company made in Germany
Mesh top, UK company made in China
Protein skimmer, US company, made in Taiwan.
Water pump, US company made in Italy
Water nozzle for return pump, US company, Made in US
Net Canadian company, made in China
Fish food Canadian company, made in Canada, well shrimp harvested in Canada in BC interior
Flake and pellet food Made in UK by UK company
Salt mix, made in Israel for a UK company
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I'm not avoiding travel to the US, mainly as my girlfriend is 'merican, and I'm rather fond of her to say the least, and I enjoy the frequent trips to Buffalo to visit her family, plus the odd trip to various places to visit friends living in the US, or a little vacation in maine by the beach.
Boycotting US goods isn't happening either. I'm far too lazy to check where items are made when purchasing things, plus as others have said, some products are not available in Canada, and in addition, some that are tend to be priced above, sometimes by quite an amount, their US price point.
How can anyone enjoy a trip to Buffalo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.