Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

US Election 2020 - Predictions

View Poll Results: What's going to happen in the US 2020 election?
Trump wins outright on the night. The end.
23.68%
Biden wins outright on the night. The end.
13.16%
Biden wins outright on the night, Trump declares martial law and suspends the election process.
2.63%
No clear result on the night, Trump declares victory, starts legal challenge to confirm.
36.84%
No clear result on the night, Biden declares victory, Trump starts legal challenge.
18.42%
Pentagon top brass stage a coup d’etat to remove Trump if he fails to acknowledge a Biden victory.
0%
An assassination or death of Biden or Trump between now and election day.
0%
Civil war.
5.26%
Putin offers to step in to ensure free and fair elections.
2.63%
Nigel Farage offers to be Viceroy of America pending selection of the President by the KKK.
2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

US Election 2020 - Predictions

Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Election 2020 - Predictions

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Allegedly "dodgy" tax returns are very old news. The Dems tried that in 2016 and it had no discernible impact, so I think it tells us how desperate they are, and lacking any attractive policy platform, that they would try again in 2020 with an idea that failed miserably last time.
There wasn't this level of detail available. At the very least, it should be concerning to voters that he may soon owe $72 million to IRS and that there will be $300 million of personally guaranteed loans coming due in the next 4 years, particularly when the identity of who is on the other side is not known. Whatever about the losses he suffered and using them to offset profits, these 2 items are far more concerning.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 2:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
.... these 2 items are far more concerning.
I sincerely doubt that among eligible and registered US voters, anything but a minority of those people who are already committed to voting for Joe Biden/ against Donald Trump, care in the slightest.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Allegedly "dodgy" tax returns are very old news. The Dems tried that in 2016 and it had no discernible impact, so I think it tells us how desperate they are, and lacking any attractive policy platform, that they would try again in 2020 with an idea that failed miserably last time.
I said Dodgy Donald not dodgy tax returns 😉 The charge sheet is as long as your arm on that front.

As far as the Democratic party having no policy platform I will be diplomatic and say that's not quite accurate...

The difference between 16 and now being that the Supreme Court ordered the returns be handed over to the ongoing investigation in New York. There is now documentation in the public domain, that was not the case then. There is also Deutsche Bank that have said that they will cooperate with any legal requirements on them. It appears that they were the intermediary between him Qatari and Russian oligarch money. A lot of the 400 million that is coming due over the next few years. There is a reason why a lot of the normal channels will not lend to him.

He could if he was indeed innocent release his tax returns to stop this in its tracks. Like he said he would in 2016...There is no law stopping him doing so whilst under audit despite his lies.

Time will tell whether or not he or those around him are going to face any charges. He has made a sport out of frustrating legal proceedings and will likely die before he is put in the stocks.

Unfortunately as pointed out many simply don't care about anything resembling facts or even reality. Many of his base are functionaly insane, racist, uneducated, uninformed insert expletive of choice.

Old Sep 29th 2020, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Danny B
Tax avoidance is not illegal.
I suspect we will not see any of his tax returns until he leaves office in 2024. Only then we will discover if he is guilty of tax evasion.
I will be surprised if it takes that long to establish if there is a case or not.

I think that if this has any real impact on the election it will be that those who vote republican but don't care much for him may not turn out.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 12:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I said Dodgy Donald not dodgy tax returns 😉 The charge sheet is as long as your arm on that front.

As far as the Democratic party having no policy platform I will be diplomatic and say that's not quite accurate...

The difference between 16 and now being that the Supreme Court ordered the returns be handed over to the ongoing investigation in New York. There is now documentation in the public domain, that was not the case then. There is also Deutsche Bank that have said that they will cooperate with any legal requirements on them. It appears that they were the intermediary between him Qatari and Russian oligarch money. A lot of the 400 million that is coming due over the next few years. There is a reason why a lot of the normal channels will not lend to him.

He could if he was indeed innocent release his tax returns to stop this in its tracks. Like he said he would in 2016...There is no law stopping him doing so whilst under audit despite his lies.

Time will tell whether or not he or those around him are going to face any charges. He has made a sport out of frustrating legal proceedings and will likely die before he is put in the stocks.

Unfortunately as pointed out many simply don't care about anything resembling facts or even reality. ....
Blah blah blah .... nothing warranting me wasting my time with a reply, but suffice to say, Donald Trump is more appealing than the alternative.
..... Many of his base are functionaly insane, racist, uneducated, uninformed insert expletive of choice. ....
Yeah, a rare old basket of deplorables. I am still waiting to see if Joe Biden shoots himself in the foot like Hilary did. .... So far he has just patronized the black community by telling them if they don't vote for him they ain't black, and making an entirely bogus claim to have attended a "historically black college" in the 1960's when he would have stood out like a sore thumb, oh, and the college has no record of him ever being enrolled.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2020 at 1:24 am.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Blah blah blah .... nothing warranting me wasting my time with a reply, but suffice to say, Donald Trump is more appealing than the alternative.

making an entirely bogus claim to have attended a "historically black college" in the 1960's when he would have stood out like a sore thumb, oh, and the college has no record of him ever being enrolled.
Sorry I forgot unless one is wealthy enough to benefit from the tax cuts he has doled out to the poor rich people that really need them. I honestly can't think of any other reasons why anyone would vote for him.

Biden never actually did claim that though. I know I know alternative facts... 🙄

​​​​
Old Sep 30th 2020, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Yeah, a rare old basket of deplorables.
Some perhaps. I actually think that many are just a product of a very broken and corrupt system run entirely for corporate gain and the concentration of wealth to the few.

Old Sep 30th 2020, 1:35 am

Some perhaps. I actually think that many are just a product of a very broken and corrupt system run entirely for corporate gain and the concentration of wealth to the few.
While you obviously want to believe that to be true, in fact the US economy is extremely efficient in sharing wealth among vast millions of the middle class. Owning stock market investments is considerably more common (per capita) than in the UK, and tens of millions of people have 401k (private pensions) too, so you would only need relatively modest monthly savings to stock market linked investments to retire a dollar millionaire.

In 2019 there were estimated to be 18.6 million millionaires in the USA, or about 5.75% of the population. Obviously there are considerably more people in the $500k-$1million range too, so while there are the billionaires who are extraordinarily wealthy, the idea that in the US there are only the phenomenally wealthy and the exploited masses is utter nonsense, and the US has a much larger middle tier of "fairly well off" compare to most countries - and about 40% of the (USD) millionaires in the world.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 1:44 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 30th 2020, 1:51 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Biden can't keep up with Trump's bullshit, all he can do is laugh in disbelief.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 2:07 am

Biden can't keep up ....
It's past his bedtime.

The past few days I have been blitzed with perhaps the most cringe worthy political ad I have ever seen: Joe Biden saying "My sincere promise to you: I will protect you." Thank you grandpa Joe, yeah, that'll win over the undecided voters!

To Alex above, is "protecting us" part of the Democratic policy platform? Where does "defunding the police" fit in? Because that is surely a huge vote winner! Oh, and the National mask mandate .... when mask mandates up and down the US, from coast to coast, have been ruled unconstitutional, only a congenital idiot would be persuaded by Joe promising a national mask mandate. And Americans are perfectly well aware that the covid recession has hit hardest where the states attempted a lock-down, and those states were almost entirely ones run by Democrats - so it is clear to even the vaguely informed voter that, as there remain significant numbers of new covid infections daily, a vote for Joe is a vote for renewed lock downs and more people losing their jobs.
​​​​
Old Sep 30th 2020, 4:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I forgot unless one is wealthy enough to benefit from the tax cuts he has doled out to the poor rich people that really need them. I honestly can't think of any other reasons why anyone would vote for him....​​​​
No, you were right the first time.
Originally Posted by Alex
functionaly insane, racist, uneducated, uninformed insert expletive of choice.
Maybe add in the belligerent
Old Sep 30th 2020, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

While you obviously want to believe that to be true, in fact the US economy is extremely efficient in sharing wealth among vast millions of the middle class. Owning stock market investments is considerably more common (per capita) than in the UK, and tens of millions of people have 401k (private pensions) too, so you would only need relatively modest monthly savings to stock market linked investments to retire a dollar millionaire.

In 2019 there were estimated to be 18.6 million millionaires in the USA, or about 5.75% of the population. Obviously there are considerably more people in the $500k-$1million range too, so while there are the billionaires who are extraordinarily wealthy, the idea that in the US there are only the phenomenally wealthy and the exploited masses is utter nonsense, and the US has a much larger middle tier of "fairly well off" compare to most countries - and about 40% of the (USD) millionaires in the world.

I personally don't like Trump, and of course many of those people made large steps to being millionaires prior to his election.But its all very true I think the poor are getting poorer everywhere, but largely due to inflation as the middle classes become slightly richer. But for the vast majority in the US/UK a lot of being poor is somewhat of a choice, choosing to have children before having a stable home, choosing a contract phone, a car on finance, designer clothes and grey goose on the weekend over investing or at least saving $500 a month from the age of 18. the american dream of hardwork equals success and living in a meritocracy is more alive in the US than most places.

Having watched the debate i don't think it was as bad for Trump as the media has made out, feel like neither came out very well, but looking at both of them I equally think " they shouldn't be running america, they will never be president" but its more believable that Trump will do it, as he's already been there and done it.

Also think the Pence vs Harris debate next week won't help Biden, as from what I can tell Harris doesn't even interview well on TV let alone debate well.

Old Sep 30th 2020, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
..... I think the poor are getting poorer everywhere, but largely due to inflation as the middle classes become slightly richer. But for the vast majority in the US/UK a lot of being poor is somewhat of a choice, choosing to have children before having a stable home, choosing a contract phone, a car on finance, designer clothes and grey goose on the weekend over investing or at least saving $500 a month from the age of 18. The American dream of hardwork equals success and living in a meritocracy is more alive in the US than most places. ....
Agreed, on two points: [1] The goal posts for being "poor" have changed, in the western/ industrialized world at least. It use to be that if you were poor you struggled to keep a roof over your head, and food on the table, and to have enough clothing to last from one laundry day to the next, and with fuel enough to keep warm in winter, and that used all your resources. sor [2] per your second point, being poor today seems to mean that you might struggle with one or more of the previous list, and "use up all your resources by the end of the month", but you have made elective purchases of a car that does more than get you from A to B and cost (new, at least) more than the rental home that you park it outside, of clothing that is just a passing fancy, costs 2-5 times what a basic no-brand garment would cost, and by all accounts will fall apart after being worn a few times, Ditto shoes. And you have a 60"+ TV on your living room wall, and one nearly as big in the bedroom, and are paying $150+/mth for cable or satellite service. .....And yet your children get free meals at school and you are registered with the local food bank. It's a crazy world!
Old Oct 1st 2020, 5:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Biden can't keep up with Trump's bullshit, all he can do is laugh in disbelief.
Biden is past it. He missed so many opportinites to fire back an the big orange dufus. The Democrats really should hace chosen someone with a bit more firepower to go against Trump. Hopefully Americans are not relying on these debates too much in deciding a candidate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.