British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Upsides of Coronavirus - positive vibes only :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/upsides-coronavirus-positive-vibes-only-931837/)

Jingsamichty Mar 20th 2020 4:24 pm

Upsides of Coronavirus - positive vibes only :)

Hopefully Wetherspoons goes bust and that burst-cushion-faced arsehole Tim Martin loses his shirt.

Next!

BristolUK Mar 20th 2020 4:36 pm

Re: Upsides of Coronavirus - positive vibes only :)

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12824122)
Hopefully Wetherspoons goes bust and that burst-cushion-faced arsehole Tim Martin loses his shirt.

More people have caught the virus in one building, parliament, than in all our pubs combined
The pubs sound like safe havens. Let's all move in. To be fair, though, he did say he was not an expert. :rofl:

BristolUK Mar 20th 2020 4:37 pm

Maybe certain football fans will have lost the habit of behaving like arseholes.

Paul_Shepherd Mar 20th 2020 5:11 pm

When they first announced pubs and restaurants were to close in Ontario, I was very dissapointed, being a single guy with no family, the pub is a my social life line to chat and share a few laughs with people, especially on weekends, more so now after I moved away from my friends to a different area for a job. However.....giving this virus some serious thought, the closing of the pubs and restaurants is a major step in making social distancing successful and hopefully defeating this virus quickly.... You cant rely on people to "distance themselves" in a pub setting....its just not going to happen.

Yes closing pubs and restaurants will cost jobs.....but hopefully this is not permanent (and I know what its like to be out of work) but the quicker we act in staying away from each other and areas that could be have been touched by infected people and passing along the virius the quicker we can get back to normal, and these people can get their jobs and lives back. This is why the government are putting together packages and taking measures to help these people in these positions....most (in Canada anyway) will be able to draw EI, and take a break on paying their mortgages, its the self employed people that wont be able to draw EI like the owners of these pubs and restaurants so I hope they get the help they need too.

As much as I don't like it, and as much as I feel for the owners who have worked so hard to build their business's, closing pubs and restaurants is massive part in trying to defeat this virus as relying on people themselves is not enough. So now all I have to do is to find something else to do in these coming weekends to avoid cabin fever! summer is on its way....things will be much different then.

christmasoompa Mar 20th 2020 5:16 pm

It's made being at home and not wanting to see other people socially acceptable.

I'm now 'social distancing' rather than just being the miserable anti-social cowbag that I am normally.

Teaandtoday5 Mar 20th 2020 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12824157)
It's made being at home and not wanting to see other people socially acceptable.

I'm now 'social distancing' rather than just being the miserable anti-social cowbag that I am normally.

:thumbsup: Introverts for the win

scot47 Mar 20th 2020 5:29 pm

Maybe people will travel less and stay where they are ! Is the era of mass tourism over ?

CanadaJimmy Mar 20th 2020 7:18 pm

Finally popping the Vancouver housing bubble so local residents will be able to afford housing. Already seeing new listings at very deep discounts in Langley.

magnumpi Mar 20th 2020 7:32 pm

The environment will be fixed. Less cars, less commuting, limited air travel.

its the Environment Green virus 🦠

MillieF Mar 20th 2020 7:42 pm

With so many shops shut people will stop wandering around like mindless sheep buying useless ‘stuff’ that they don’t need or want...me included...how much do we actually need?

sharkus Mar 20th 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12824218)
With so many shops shut people will stop wandering around like mindless sheep buying useless ‘stuff’ that they don’t need or want...me included...how much do we actually need?

I suspect quite a few will just switch to doing that online.

philat98 Mar 20th 2020 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12824122)

Next!

According to the Telegraph 1600 of his bar staff are isolating. Just to be on the safe side he has halved their wages.
He deserves a knighthood for the promotion of Brexit and vinegar.

caretaker Mar 20th 2020 8:33 pm

I filled up for 68.9/L today.

BristolUK Mar 20th 2020 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 12824227)
I suspect quite a few will just switch to doing that online.

Perhaps. But when you buy something on a whim that you don't really need it's likely because you've seen it while out in the shops. You happened to pass it for example.

On line, you're specifically looking and you don't, say, pass through the kitchen section on your way to the patio furniture area.

magnumpi Mar 20th 2020 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12824242)

That ****s with my environmental theory

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 9:27 pm

The environment seems to be benefiting a bit short term. I see the Venice canals are running very clear these days. People in So. California are noticing a more vivid and blue skies and better visibility due to so many cars off the road leading to less smog, I am noticing more bird sounds around the apartment, less traffic noise so can hear them, and there seems to be more, guess with less people and cars around the birds are coming out more.

I am hoping this will show companies that they don't need big offices filled with people, only have the necessary workers come to an office, let everyone else work from home.

Might be the jump start needing for healthcare to move into 2020 and do more virtual appointments, my GP is actually in the process of setting it up now, she is also moving to online appointment so no need to call in for appointments can book online, she said should be up and running within a month.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 9:28 pm

We seem mostly around 1.09 with some getting into 1.02, not sure we will see 0.68 but we have no need for gas since we are not going out.

BristolUK Mar 20th 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824275)
The environment seems to be benefiting a bit short term.

I saw satellite images of Europe the other day comparing pollution in January with now. There was a massive reduction over northern Italy after all the restrictions imposed.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12824277)
I saw satellite images of Europe the other day comparing pollution in January with now. There was a massive reduction over northern Italy after all the restrictions imposed.

There used to be a show on I think Discovery or TLC or maybe History, one of those type channels, basically how earth would recover if humans vanished. Was interesting show.

Paul_Shepherd Mar 20th 2020 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12824218)

Oh Im not sure about that....this virus created the mindless mass toilet paper buying zombies! lol

Hawkmoon77 Mar 20th 2020 10:44 pm

England cricket team won't lose a single test in the away series to SL or the home series with WI

scrubbedexpat134 Mar 21st 2020 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12824297)
England cricket team won't lose a single test in the away series to SL or the home series with WI

And all the players will have time to recover from injuries before they start playing again.But having said that which is worse stay home get coronavirus or go to Sri Lanka and get the Colombo Trotts

Oink Mar 21st 2020 8:07 pm

My bar bill has plummeted

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12824277)

I believe it. Parts of China were similiar at the height of the closures there.

I have never been to Venice but apparently the water running clear is a big deal? I took from the articles that its not usually clear?

Teaandtoday5 Mar 21st 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824711)
I believe it. Parts of China were similiar at the height of the closures there.

I have never been to Venice but apparently the water running clear is a big deal? I took from the articles that its not usually clear?

The article I read said the sediment is usually churned up by all the boats, water taxis etc

BristolUK Mar 21st 2020 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824711)

I don't recall that much of my brief visit. I saw a Salvador Dali Exhibit, walked over a couple of bridges, took some photos and had a beer in a ginormous glass (a litre I suppose) that cost a bomb.

Wait a minute. I thought you said you didn't recall much. :lol:

dbd33 Mar 22nd 2020 12:01 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12824747)
I don't recall that much of my brief visit. I saw a Salvador Dali Exhibit, walked over a couple of bridges, took some photos and had a beer in a ginormous glass (a litre I suppose) that cost a bomb.

Wait a minute. I thought you said you didn't recall much. :lol:

I was in Venice, long ago, on a honeymoon. That was the first time I saw a woman piss in a sink. The water ran clear.

Tumbling_Dice Mar 22nd 2020 1:17 am

Given that we now all see the value of workers in so-called "lesser jobs" it would be nice to see a revaluation of their pay and conditions. I am given to believe that the likes of Sobeys hand out contracts with hours just shy of those necessary to qualify for benefits. Perhaps that sort of thing could be looked at so that permanent full time work can be offered to those that want it, or wages are looked it to provide a more liveable salary. Starting to sound scarily like a leftie here...

Siouxie Mar 22nd 2020 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice (Post 12824814)
Given that we now all see the value of workers in so-called "lesser jobs" it would be nice to see a revaluation of their pay and conditions. I am given to believe that the likes of Sobeys hand out contracts with hours just shy of those necessary to qualify for benefits. Perhaps that sort of thing could be looked at so that permanent full time work can be offered to those that want it, or wages are looked it to provide a more liveable salary. Starting to sound scarily like a leftie here...

Some are increasing workers hourly rate for the next few weeks.......

Grocery chains across Canada are adapting to the increased demand on their stores during the pandemic by raising wages for workers and installing plexiglass.

Loblaws is temporarily raising wages by an estimated 15 per cent, while Metro is raising wages by $2 an hour.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 1:30 am

That is a common tactic in retail, obviously not all retailers but its common, retailers excel at maximizing the hours but staying below whatever is required for benefits. Same with averaging agreements in federally regular jobs, companies excel at making sure they work you to death, but ensure when averaging they don't have to pay OT.

Sad thing is many of these grocery chains are union too, but seems the unions are toothless and just accept whatever the company offers to persevere the job's of the old timers who made a decent wage.

dbd33 Mar 22nd 2020 2:46 am

It's a long way from here to there. Canada is a disposable worker economy, legislation to improve the working conditions of the hourly paid will fall foul of the myriad workarounds employers have at their disposal. Besides that, low wage work with low barriers to entry is valuable to high school kids, increase the rates and the formality and that puts casual work at risk.

The way to help people move up is, I think, free education, free vocational training. I understand that, even if you make training free, there will be people who can't take it, they need to work when the course is offered. Still, government can't save everyone; free education offers the chance to move from shop assistant to welder or brain surgeon, depending on talent. Hungry people will jump at such a chance. Some people will find a reason not to go for it, just as they would if offered a subsidy by an individual. At the risk of sounding like a conservative, society owes people a fair chance, not a soft cushion for a wide arse.

ann m Mar 22nd 2020 5:32 am

Memes are on fire right now. Humans can be so f***ing witty.

This would be a good time to rescue a dog and have the whole family train it.

This will forever change the workplace, the need to go an office, and forever change the delivery of education. I hope those with disabilities and other challenges will benefit from both.

I’m gonna meet all my neighbours out walking.

You have time to paint that back bedroom. Or any bedroom.

Bo-Jangles Mar 22nd 2020 10:46 am

Weekends will seem twice as long - like back in the day when we were kids and nothing was open on Sundays. :p

Danny B Mar 22nd 2020 4:15 pm

Bloody hell.

Partially discharged Mar 22nd 2020 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12825204)
Bloody hell.

$0.659 today at Costco in Ottawa. Average price in Ottawa 1 month ago was $1.06. Apparently the lowest price in more than 11 years.

Danny B Mar 22nd 2020 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12825233)
$0.659 today at Costco in Ottawa. Average price in Ottawa 1 month ago was $1.06. Apparently the lowest price in more than 11 years.

It's 89.9c here in Kamloops. Apparently it's nothing to do with the virus, and something to do with a Russia and Saudi oil price war?

Gozit Mar 23rd 2020 12:54 am

Employers will realise that people can be just as productive working remotely
Since i'm being forced to stay home and do nothing, if I manage to be employed for the summer i'll have a shitton of money saved up so that when i'm done school and this is all over I can travel the world until it runs out and my line of credit is maxed out.

Jingsamichty Mar 23rd 2020 9:29 am

Walking the dogs yesterday and the landlady of the local pub (closed) came out and told me to bring up some jugs/containers because she was giving away her beer before she has to throw it away.

So I did, she wouldn't take any payment. Rest assured, as soon as she's allowed to open again, I'll be in there like a shot!

Partially discharged Mar 23rd 2020 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12825639)
Walking the dogs yesterday and the landlady of the local pub (closed) came out and told me to bring up some jugs/containers because she was giving away her beer before she has to throw it away.

So I did, she wouldn't take any payment. Rest assured, as soon as she's allowed to open again, I'll be in there like a shot!

spouse of scouse Mar 23rd 2020 12:50 pm

I count this as a positive. About 6 weeks ago I bought 2 washable N95 face masks with a box of disposable filters, in preparation for a holiday that we've since cancelled. There was no shortage of the masks at that time, but they're impossible to buy now. But now Mum, who is 86 and has cancer, can at least have a bit of added protection when she's at the hospital getting treatment as can anyone who accompanies her.