Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

University of Calgary Tuition fees

Wikiposts

University of Calgary Tuition fees

Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University of Calgary Tuition fees

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I think it is a crime for the state to forcefully take money from a family and then deny their child an education while giving their taxes to someone else's child. I think it is a bigger crime for people to be pigeon holed during their teenage years.

Many of the top mark earners from my high school class are bumming around in dead end jobs or working non essential unimportant jobs. Many others who did only enough work required in high school are having careers as a result of post secondary education. Test marks at 15, 16 years old are not the be all and end all. I would rather have been playing hockey or riding my dirt bike through the forest when I was 16 instead of studying for an exam. Everyone should have an oppourtunity to advance their education if they choose to. The state can't dictate someone's future when they are a teenager.
While I can't fault anything you say there, I can't understand it either.

Could you clarify?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Non sequitor. Simply select on merit and fully fund the students. Why should having "middle class" parents make a difference?

True. But the usefulness of a degree has dramatically declined.
I agree. When someone reaches the age of 18 and is legally an adult why should their parents' income or social class have any bearing on the terms on which they can go to university? It would be interesting to know the cost of fully funding 50% of school leavers for 3 years of further education though.

I think there are various studies which show the financial benefit of a degree has declined and some that show it hasn't. I suspect the overall average value of a degree has declined as the expansion has taken place at the bottom end of the market in terms of subjects and institutions. The better institutions and subjects still probably offer good value, especially those that lead to jobs where effective barriers to entry can be maintained to artificially inflate the earnings potential.

Last edited by jimf; Feb 1st 2010 at 10:25 am. Reason: developed
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit
I think we should replace all the admin staffs with self-serving kiosks.
Support staff is actually already bearing hte brunt of any cost cutting at the U of L.

and without support staff, no services, no working projectors, computer labs, cleaning, admin, HR etc, etc etc........Good, innit?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:21 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno. That's why I'm asking.
I assume so - don't statisticians they have null hypotheses that they test for this sort of thing. Don't ask me how, I forgot.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nothing personal, but AI is a lie. I wish they'd call it something else.

Anyway - dbd is an IT person without a degree (at least in his profession). He conforms to the stereotype of not seeing much value in doing one; and to be honest he has a point. Most IT skills can be learned pretty quickly if you have the aptitude. Where he is wrong is that most people doing comp sci degrees and the like really are doing so because they are interested in them. The judgement implicit in his post was a little patronizing.
BS. I'm qualified, my brother isn't, my dad isn't. Doesn't mean any better or any worse. What it means is a different skill set. Some things are based on academics, AI being one of them. Some are based on practicalities, programming, support and the like being examples of them. And I've worked both jobs that required the quals and ones that don't (before I had them), so i'm hardly going to patronise myself now am I?

I just happen to disagree with the idea that compsci is less interesting than english.

Besides, what is wrong with going into a field that interests you?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
When someone reaches the age of 18 and is legal an adult why should their parents' income or social class have any bearing on the terms on which they can go to university?

I think there are various studies which show the financial benefit of a degree has declined and some that show it hasn't. I suspect the overall average value of a degree has declined as the expansion has taken place at the bottom end of the market in terms of subjects and institutions. The better institutions and subjects still probably offer good value, especially those that lead to jobs where effective barriers to entry can be maintained to artificially inflate the earnings potential.
I think I'm having a bad hair day. I can't quite understand that either.

I'm suggesting (not arguing) that a vocational training would be much more valuable for a lot of students who currently are enrolled in Universities.

That's all.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caitilin
Yes, because Artificial intelligence is so easy and never used in anything like..
-tightening (not just locking) seatbelts in new cars
-voice recognition systems
-financial analysis systems
-R&D for planes (jet engines, if memory serves)
-Animations (Azlan's fur, anyone?)
-disease control and prevention (genetic algorithms)
- waste plant management (fuzzy logic)
- washing machine load balancing
- robotics for building cars
- bomb disposal units (US army)
- probably google, but that's just an 'educated guess'...oh wait, that's the problem, education...

That kind of education? takes 2 degrees. But I'm sure every english major create that kind of stuff - easy peasy, right?

Deb
MSc AI.
First the cheap shot, the last thing the world needs is more technology wired into seat belts, bad enough one has to listen to the ever more strident buzzing from Toyota dashboards. A career in devices to interfere with drivers is a fine example of a working life wasted.

Is that list the kind of work you consider is typically performed by Computer Science graduates? I suggest not. I'm surrounded by Waterloo grads, many of them functionally illiterate in English; they grind out their days fidgeting with the administration of Windows or reseting passwords for users who have forgotten them. Were there not such a glut of such graduates the cleaner would be seconded to do the work. It's not that I think there are no computing positions in which multiple science degrees are valuable, rather that I think most people taking Computer Science would do better to spend their time on something that broadens their horizons.

dbd
Uneducated author of programs running 24/7 in hundreds of shops around the world.

PS I'll take back the whole argument if you come round and load balance my washing machine. I'd love to see software juggle me blankets.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Where he is wrong is that most people doing comp sci degrees and the like really are doing so because they are interested in them.
You don't think expected income is a factor in that choice of course?

The judgement implicit in his post was a little patronizing.
Naturally.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:35 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

BS. I'm qualified, my brother isn't, my dad isn't. Doesn't mean any better or any worse. What it means is a different skill set. Some things are based on academics, AI being one of them. Some are based on practicalities, programming, support and the like being examples of them. And I've worked both jobs that required the quals and ones that don't (before I had them), so i'm hardly going to patronise myself now am I?

I just happen to disagree with the idea that compsci is less interesting than english.

Besides, what is wrong with going into a field that interests you?
Er, you should probably read my post properly before you reply to it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 1st 2010 at 10:38 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
You don't think expected income is a factor in that choice of course?
For some yes, but most that do those types of degrees are geeky nerds that love computers and stuff. You could probably make a better case for law or accounting though.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm having a bad hair day. I can't quite understand that either.

I'm suggesting (not arguing) that a vocational training would be much more valuable for a lot of students who currently are enrolled in Universities.

That's all.
I must have been amending my posting to clarify as you replied. I wasn't disagreeing with you earlier. I think vocational training would be a lot more useful (to the individual and the state) than a lot of degrees undertaken now.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:42 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by jimf
I must have been amending my posting to clarify as you replied. I wasn't disagreeing with you earlier. I think vocational training would be a lot more useful (to the individual and the state) than a lot of degrees undertaken now.
Ok.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

For some yes, but most that do those types of degrees are geeky nerds that love computers and stuff. You could probably make a better case for law or accounting though.
The only law student I know is a starry eyed idealist set on changing the world. The Computer people, otoh, greedy as well as nerdy. Mind, one could argue that Computer Science is vocational training rather than education.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:45 am
Born again atheist

Support staff is actually already bearing hte brunt of any cost cutting at the U of L.

and without support staff, no services, no working projectors, computer labs, cleaning, admin, HR etc, etc etc........Good, innit?
I think there is a distinction to be made between support staff and administration.

Where I work support staff have essentially disappeared, but the administration has bloated to the size of a terminal brain cancer.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd forgotten about this discussion. Interesting what you report. Does this apply to all jurisdictions or is it UK based (or somewhere else based)?

I'm thinking that in the UK and US the quality of local schools and/or the accessibility to private schools is likely much more family income dependent than in Canada.

(I know we're straying into your areas of expertise, so I'm not risking being anything other than curious).
Parental influence on academic achievement and even professional selection seems fairly constant over developed societies. For example and I don't have the numbers, but the percentage of doctors whose parents are doctors is very high, children tend to follow their parents both educationally and professionally. Depending on the goal, education policy has to take this factor into account if large structural changes are going to take place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.