Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UN top 20 countries to live in 2009 - Canada 4th

UN top 20 countries to live in 2009 - Canada 4th

Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UN top 20 countries to live in 2009 - Canada 4th

Originally Posted by RN1
All very well but using New York as the top line 100 point city??? Are they having a laugh???? I wouldn't live in NY for all the tea in China - neat to visit for a long weekend but living there??? My idea of a complete & utter nightmare.
That's not how it works though is it? Some city has to serve as the base line worth 100 pts, It could have been London, or Paris, they just happened to choose NY. They dont say its the best, its just a reference point that many corporate types might be familiar with. The top city (vienna) scores 108.6, NY is ranked 49th.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:50 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
I note the criteria they use in the assessment are education, wealth and life expectancy.

How about happiness? None of the above things necessarily adds up to happiness.

So... where is the HAPPIEST place to live on earth?

It's clearly a subjective thing. But this is interesting/amusing/astonishing, depending on your point of view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Planet_Index

Today's essay topic: 'Happiness. Discuss.'
Exactly- those Scandinavian countries have the highest suicide rates around.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Exactly- those Scandinavian countries have the highest suicide rates around.
If all the unhappy people kill themselves, doesnt that push up the average happyness of those left behind
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:39 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If all the unhappy people kill themselves, doesnt that push up the average happyness of those left behind
Well that would depend on exactly who was topping themselves wouldn't it.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well that would depend on exactly who was topping themselves wouldn't it.
I was rather assuming the suicidal to be at the very bottom of the "enjoying life" league table.... but maybe some people are just too depressed to be bothered going to all that effort.

I sense thread drift though...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:59 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I was rather assuming the suicidal to be at the very bottom of the "enjoying life" league table.... but maybe some people are just too depressed to be bothered going to all that effort.

I sense thread drift though...
That wasn't quite what I meant...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Looking at the Moving Back to the UK forum, it seems most expats are moving back from whence they came from Australia.
In contrast, I have been struck by the increase in posts and threads by people returning to the UK from the US and Canada in recent months. As you probably have worked out, there are more threads about British people returning from Australia because more British move there in the first place. Ib fact in strict statistical terms I think more Brits move back from Canada than Australia, mainly due to the fact that they don't wish to retire in the cold and can't afford VI real estate prices, but I cannot remember where on Earth I read that.

Rae

Australia is a free Western liberal democracy with a good healthcare system, great weather, good schooling and literacy rates, lots of natural resources and an excellent immigration system. Austria is a tiny nation ruled by Brussels with a worrying rise in neo-Nazism and an even more concerning penchant for head cheese*. I'm of the opinion the UN did not get them the wrong way round - but nice try .

*If anyone does not know what this is, it's probably better to leave it that way.

Last edited by hereandthere; Oct 8th 2009 at 11:26 am.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
more British people returning from Australia because more British move there in the first place.
Yes, but most of them had no choice or way of getting back.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere

*If anyone does not know what this is, it's probably better to leave it that way.
Also worryingly popular in QC. The French name (cretons) is fairly unpleasant but it's miles better than the English version.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Also worryingly popular in QC. The French name (cretons) is fairly unpleasant but it's miles better than the English version.
I'll say. I vote for cretons, bien sur!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Isnt the reason more people in MBTUK forum are coming from Oz simply that more people head there in the first place?

(he said , trying to move the topic on from head cheese)
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:12 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt the reason more people in MBTUK forum are coming from Oz simply that more people head there in the first place?
Yes, probably. Not many people from the UK migrate to Canada these days. I think it adds up to a few planeloads a year.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:15 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, probably. Not many people from the UK migrate to Canada these days. I think it adds up to a few planeloads a year.
I thought I read in that UN survey that the majority of people who emigrate from the UK head to North America.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:44 am
Slob

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I thought I read in that UN survey that the majority of people who emigrate from the UK head to North America.
I don't think that is correct. Are we making a distinction between people that migrate from the UK and cradle Brits that migrate from the UK?

I don't think all that many cradle Brits come out this way any more. Not permanently, anyway. Much has changed over the last few decades.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:34 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think that is correct. Are we making a distinction between people that migrate from the UK and cradle Brits that migrate from the UK?

I don't think all that many cradle Brits come out this way any more. Not permanently, anyway. Much has changed over the last few decades.
I think it's just people from the UK

http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countrie...ty_fs_GBR.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.