UK Tax Return

Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Tax Return

Hi

I moved here in Sept 2010, therefore have completed a UK tax return for tax year 2010-2011.

I have had my UK tax return sent back to me as apparently I was missing the Foreign form (SA106) and the Residence, Remittance basis, etc form (SA109). I had completed my tax return purely based on the UK income and the UK tax I had paid on that. However, it now looks like I have to complete an Employment page relating to my Canadian income and Canadian tax paid on that. Can someone please confirm if that is correct?

Also, if that is correct, then I can work out how much I earned, gross, in Canada, along with how much income tax I paid at source (through my employer). However, I received a CRA tax refund. Do I need to deduct the amount of this refund from the amount of tax at source that I paid and provide that figure as the amount of foreign tax paid? Would there be any adjustment required for any tax relief I was entitled to such as for having kids, childcare costs, etc?

I am also confused by the Residence, Remittance Basis form. For the Domicile section, I'm thinking I should check box 23 (If 2010-11 is the first year you have told us that your domicile is outside the UK). Should I also check box 22 (If you are domiciled outside the UK and it is relevant to your Income Tax). If I'm claiming Foreign Tax Credit on my income & tax from Canada, do I also need to complete the Remittance section of the Resident, Remittance Basis form, i.e. should I make a claim for the remittance basis for 2010-11?

Thank-you in advance for any help & advice you can give!

Hermione
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:48 am
Banned

nikkisizer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Tax Return

Hi Hermione,

I can help you if required still, I'll send you an email.

Kind regards