Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK Quarantine Lifted?

UK Quarantine Lifted?

Old Jun 30th 2020, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Quarantine Lifted?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're very lucky if you don't know anybody that's had it. I live in a tiny rural Berkshire village and we've got several cases. Two friends in their 40's have died of it.
Really sorry to here that.
​​​​My point is that for many of us it's not the big issue the media and others would have you believe. The last I heard was that arround 10k extra deaths have occurred in the UK due to C19. 10k is a lot of people yes but a very tiny proportion of 60 odd million. Yes I live in a rural area but most of my family and friends live in built up areas from London to Birmingham. The ressession that has started, I predict will cause much more misery than C19 and what's happening with our children's education is plain disgraceful.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 7:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Really sorry to here that.
​​​​My point is that for many of us it's not the big issue the media and others would have you believe. ....
It is a big issue precisely because people like you insist that it isn't a big issue. If everyone took SD, masks, and hygiene seriously then the infection rate would have collapsed, as it has done in countries where either lock-down was enforced brutally, or where people took the guidance and collectively adhered to it.

The irony is that those of us who do understand the risks, and are continuing to venture out only when truly necessary, and therefore avoiding anywhere that crowds might congregate, are being kept from venturing out by the idiots who think that the whole covid-19 thing is over-blown and we should all get back to normal to "save the economy". When everyone wears their masks, properly, and maintains SD, or more (6ft is tolerable, 8 or 10ft would be better) , then my family and I might venture out more, but the idiots prancing around without masks and not practing SD are the ones who are keeping a significant number of people at home, and that will likely drive a recession, or make it worse.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is a big issue precisely because people like you insist that it isn't a big issue. If everyone took SD, masks, and hygiene seriously then the infection rate would have collapsed, as it has done in countries where either lock-down was enforced brutally, or where People took the guidance and collectively adhered to it.
I agree with everything else you have said, as its about employing social distancing for the greater good, I'm not avoiding the pub on Saturday as I'm scared about getting COVID 19, I'm avoiding it because I don't want to spread it to anyone in the pub, or bring it from the pub to colleagues who may be shielding someone etc. spread it round Tesco on my weekly shop to someone who lives with their 80 year old parents etc.

But I personally think the UK's infection rate has collapsed. Given we have widespread testing in place, so whilst cases will be under reported as not everyone has a desire to be tested, or may be asymptomatic it will be no more so than anywhere else in the world (less so IMO as we have same day tests available in every largish town, postal tests etc) - statistically today you'd have a 1 in 98526 of catching COVID in the UK, Granted Canada is lower still with a chance of 1 in 153,000 - population density etc isn't helping our totals, but both pale in insignificance compared to America (1 in 8729) Brazil (circa 1 in 6500) Russia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Dominican Republic, Qatar etc - many of whom today have an infection rate 10x times higher than ours and are far more likely to be under reporting due to availability of testing.

I don't think the UK's infection rate is spiralling out of control like the media would have us believe and the figures seem to support my thoughts, which is possibly what is making lock down harder to understand/follow/get for some people.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
..... But I personally think the UK's infection rate has collapsed. ....
..... Maybe - it's down a lot (in the UK), agreed, but if many people decide that it is OK to abandon SD and their masks, then the numbers could accelerate back upwards very quickly, and that's the point I was making - although the numbers are down, it is still a "big deal", and only by continuing to act as if it is a big deal, will the numbers stay low.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see the figures In the UK and US in a week or two, due to crowded beaches/bars etc and the demonstrations...not to mention Trump’s rally.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a big issue precisely because people like you insist that it isn't a big issue. If everyone took SD, masks, and hygiene seriously then the infection rate would have collapsed, as it has done in countries where either lock-down was enforced brutally, or where people took the guidance and collectively adhered to it.

The irony is that those of us who do understand the risks, and are continuing to venture out only when truly necessary, and therefore avoiding anywhere that crowds might congregate, are being kept from venturing out by the idiots who think that the whole covid-19 thing is over-blown and we should all get back to normal to "save the economy". When everyone wears their masks, properly, and maintains SD, or more (6ft is tolerable, 8 or 10ft would be better) , then my family and I might venture out more, but the idiots prancing around without masks and not practing SD are the ones who are keeping a significant number of people at home, and that will likely drive a recession, or make it worse.

Well, yes, exactly.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, yes, exactly.
+1

Old Jul 1st 2020, 1:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

+1

That sums it up beautifully, and why I am not going out.