UK Passport Renewal

Old Oct 28th 2021, 1:43 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Passport Renewal

Been a while, anyone got a link to where you do this these day ?
Old Oct 28th 2021, 2:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
It's not cheap!
A standard passport is £86 for an adult, and £56 for a child. Plus a £19.86 courier fee.
Nice to see you back.. hope all is well!
Old Oct 29th 2021, 5:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth it now with Brexit ?
Old Oct 29th 2021, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram

If you return to the UK either as permanent of vacation stay, you'll only be admitted as a visitor if you don't have a valid UK passport - unless you have other documentation to prove you are a Brit.

(and who wants the hassle of that at the border)
Old Oct 29th 2021, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you return to the UK either as permanent of vacation stay, you'll only be admitted as a visitor if you don't have a valid UK passport - unless you have other documentation to prove you are a Brit.

(and who wants the hassle of that at the border)
What you mean like carrying your birth certificate with you and handing that over with your passport. Wow what a hassle that is. Also of note your passport shows where you were born.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I mean if you enter the UK with any other passport apart from your UK one, you'll enter as a visitor until such time as border official is convinced you are a Brit.

e.g. Son of British friend tried to enter UK with his US passport. "What is you reason for entering the UK said border official?" " I've come to work for my uncle for a year or 2" said son, "Really?", said official as he yanks him to secondary. It was only after son showed them his British passport and the official had given him a earful about using his British passport to enter the UK that he was allowed to go.
Claiming you are a Brit, proves nothing.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 8:12 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I mean if you enter the UK with any other passport apart from your UK one, you'll enter as a visitor until such time as border official is convinced you are a Brit.

e.g. Son of British friend tried to enter UK with his US passport. "What is you reason for entering the UK said border official?" " I've come to work for my uncle for a year or 2" said son, "Really?", said official as he yanks him to secondary. It was only after son showed them his British passport and the official had given him a earful about using his British passport to enter the UK that he was allowed to go.
I remembering travelling with my 1 yr old Canadian son on a night flight, and the UK immigration officer giving us a bit of a hard time because the 1 yr old wasn’t travelling on a British passport like the rest of us. He told us “he could refuse the baby entrance you know”.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 10:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Perhaps a 96% (27/28) discount would be in order. Got my renewal this summer, it was real tangible reminder of no longer being an EU citizen.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So that is why I would be handing over the birth certificate with my passport. No legal requirement to enter the UK on a UK passport unlike the US. Now providing the UK Border Force are hiring officers with more than completion of primary school they should know that a UK citizen has right of entry into the UK. From all accounts you have about a 2 hour wait to collect bags so wait at a carousel or if sent to secondary politely ask to see a supervisor and ask them why a UK citizen is in secondary immigration. Sorry about that Sir you are free to go.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 1:30 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I remembering travelling with my 1 yr old Canadian son on a night flight, and the UK immigration officer giving us a bit of a hard time because the 1 yr old wasn’t travelling on a British passport like the rest of us. He told us “he could refuse the baby entrance you know”.
I got grief from the immigration person because I should have had my then wife and son come into the UK line with me (I was on my UK passport, they both had their Canadian ones). I thought it typical as I knew if they did come with me then no doubt they would have complained about that too. You can't win

Counter to this, the last trip over I had my UK passport, my son was with me with his canadian passport, and my girlfriend had her US passport. All going through the UK line. I was expecting trouble, but the chap was great, joking with my son while he processed us all.

As for passport renewal, I did mine around Feb last year, before it went all surreal. I have to say I was very, very impressed with the whole online renewal process. The only issue I had was fitting the very long address to send things to on the Canada Post tracking form. I got regular updates about where I was in the process, and emails for tracking info when the passport was on the way back.

I'd love to see Canada have a similar online system, as it would make it so much easier.

Last edited by sharkus; Oct 30th 2021 at 1:34 am.