View Poll Results: Who will win the election?
Conservatives
45.10%
Labour
11.76%
Liberal Democrats
1.96%
UKIP
19.61%
Green
5.88%
SNP
9.80%
Plaid Subaru
5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

UK Election Poll

Old May 9th 2015, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Election Poll

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Are you saying democracy doesn't work because the party you might have wanted didn't get into power?
That's clearly not what I'm saying.
Old May 9th 2015, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

BBC Question Time from yesterday, for non-UK viewers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GApJKHlIcB8
Old May 9th 2015, 8:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
BBC Question Time from yesterday, for non-UK viewers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GApJKHlIcB8
It's a very good episode. Quite a witty panel and not much political sniping.
Old May 10th 2015, 10:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdizzle
However, it would be interesting to know what the demographics were in terms of age who voted for BQ?
Poking around the web indicates young voters favour the Bloc Québécois and they went for the NDP in droves last time, so not good news for the SNP.
Old May 10th 2015, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
Poking around the web indicates young voters favour the Bloc Québécois and they went for the NDP in droves last time, so not good news for the SNP.
The SNP will remain popular so long as it has strong leadership and as long as SLab doesn't appear a credible left-of-centre alternative. It has vast membership, very strong grassroots campaigning and has been around since 1934 (as opposed to BQ being formed in the 90s). It has performed well in every Scottish Parliament election. Before this election the party generally gained around 20% of the Scottish vote in UK elections.

I just think it's a fairly pointless comparison really and there are a large number of factors which would need to change for the SNP's position in Scotland to be weakened. The political environment is really quite different (in terms of Quebec and Scotland).
Old May 13th 2015, 4:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is, I'd say it's about as close as it gets really.

The problem with separatists is they can't deliver, the SNP lost the referendum so at that point they became a pointless exercise. So they constantly criticize central Govt. to drum up support and that only takes you so far. Eventually you come across as the angry party, look at Giles Duceppe in the leader debates last time, and look at Nicola Sturgeon who also comes across as quite angry (but not as bad as Giles Duceppe, yet).

Eventually one day you end up running out of things to complain about and look silly and voters get tired with you and that means political oblivion.

The SNP almost went down the tubes before, they had to bring back Alex Salmond.

If anything the SNP have more negatives than the BQ, because they don't have the language argument and proportionally, Scotland has a smaller population than Québec so they can't realistically make the same demands the BQ did.

So the Tories will do something to placate the Scottish, Labour will come up with a more charismatic leader and the SNP will lose seats next time. And then there will be some sort of scandal they try and get more votes on, which might work, repeat ad infinitum until there is no scandal, all the political talent will defect to Labour because they're tired of sitting on the backbenches, and bye bye SNP.

I think possibly it's worse for the SNP because the national and local parties are the same party and have the same leader, so any screw-up they make in Holyrood will reflect on them nationally, a problem the BQ didn't have with the PQ.
Old May 13th 2015, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

andrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the rough

Could you answer this ??

Is Scotland not a "Country" ? with a government ? (although limited)
Nothing like Quebec ??

How anyone can compare Quebec to Scotland really baffles me !! To me Quebec is more like the Isle of man !!

Originally Posted by Steve_
I don't think it is, I'd say it's about as close as it gets really.

The problem with separatists is they can't deliver, the SNP lost the referendum so at that point they became a pointless exercise. So they constantly criticize central Govt. to drum up support and that only takes you so far. Eventually you come across as the angry party, look at Giles Duceppe in the leader debates last time, and look at Nicola Sturgeon who also comes across as quite angry (but not as bad as Giles Duceppe, yet).

Eventually one day you end up running out of things to complain about and look silly and voters get tired with you and that means political oblivion.

The SNP almost went down the tubes before, they had to bring back Alex Salmond.

If anything the SNP have more negatives than the BQ, because they don't have the language argument and proportionally, Scotland has a smaller population than Québec so they can't realistically make the same demands the BQ did.

So the Tories will do something to placate the Scottish, Labour will come up with a more charismatic leader and the SNP will lose seats next time. And then there will be some sort of scandal they try and get more votes on, which might work, repeat ad infinitum until there is no scandal, all the political talent will defect to Labour because they're tired of sitting on the backbenches, and bye bye SNP.

I think possibly it's worse for the SNP because the national and local parties are the same party and have the same leader, so any screw-up they make in Holyrood will reflect on them nationally, a problem the BQ didn't have with the PQ.
Old May 13th 2015, 6:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by andrewjohn
Could you answer this ??

Is Scotland not a "Country" ? with a government ? (although limited)
Nothing like Quebec ??

How anyone can compare Quebec to Scotland really baffles me !! To me Quebec is more like the Isle of man !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qu%C3%..._nation_motion

Like I said... very similar. And the provincial govt. of Québec sits in the: "National Assembly" in Québec City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...mbly_of_Quebec

In fact if anything I would say Québec is more distinct, because of the large francophone population (how many Scottish people speak Gaelic on a daily basis?) and also the law in Québec originated with the French Civil Code. Scottish law has a different origin as well, but the Supreme Court of Canada for example has to have three members from Québec (out of nine) because of the specialization needed in the civil code. There is less of a difference between English and Scottish law.

Last edited by Steve_; May 13th 2015 at 6:47 pm.