UK benefits

Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK benefits

Like Jingsamichty said you're wasting your breath. Boy d doesn't want to admit that the UK is better than Canada.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Bristol, you're wasting your breath. Some people want to believe that the UK deliberately keeps its pensioners barely a day's gruel away from the poorhouse, while throwing bucketfuls of cash around at them bloody immigrants.

How anyone can bemoan the poverty of their parents who own a home outright is beyond me.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:56 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol, you're wasting your breath. Some people want to believe that the UK deliberately keeps its pensioners barely a day's gruel away from the poorhouse, while throwing bucketfuls of cash around at them bloody immigrants.

How anyone can bemoan the poverty of their parents who own a home outright is beyond me.
So my old man living in a tiny, dated 2 bed bungalow up north with his state pension is somehow considered wealthy? And the handout he gets is a struggle, turst me. As far as i know he gets 98 quid a week and some sort of winter fuel supplement.

Simply pointing out that they are two completely different systems. Granted a pensioner in the UK that has nowt will be better off. But why should a pensioner in the UK who has worked hard to pay off a mortgage be penalized over a pensioner earning the same who chooses not to pay off a mortgage.

I see the system here as well, different, and being of benefit to one over the other. If one has been here for the chunk of their working life, regardless of personal assets they will likely be better off, as it's based on contributions and residency and you wont be penalized for owning your own home; however, some one at the end of the scale with lower CCP contributions will be in a different situation and likely better off in the UK.

paying taxes on RRSP contributions is nothing to do with targeting pensioners, as RRSP's are intended to off set taxes as one will likely be in a lower tax bracket at retirement vs higher earning years. There is also the option of transfering to a riff if one wants to off set tax obligations at age 71.
As for other benefits there are also property tax credits, hst credits, supplements for housing, perscriptions and public transport etc.

Last edited by Boy d; Sep 1st 2012 at 3:11 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
Like Jingsamichty said you're wasting your breath. Boy d doesn't want to admit that the UK is better than Canada.
what is wrong with people on this board?. I doubt you even truly understand the pension system here, yet you come off as being in the know.

The fact that you and jingy make such comments betrays your lack of knowledge. I'm basing my comparisons on my Canadian In Laws vs my old man. I know who is better off.

As for better...well its down to one's situation is it not. I can retire in 8 years with a pension of around 60 - 70 k a year (ill be well under 60)

Last edited by Boy d; Sep 1st 2012 at 3:13 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well you should get him to apply for Pension Credit then as no single pensioner should be below £137.35 regardless of where they live.

Council Tax benefit too.

But cash in an RRSP or sell a house and incur capital gains tax just for that year and it's going to cost you your GIS and prescription coverage (depending on your province) the following year.
Thanks for the link i will mention it to him. Maybe he does get that not sure. I do worry as he's on his todd now and getting older. The rest of the family dont want anything to do with him.

Last edited by Boy d; Sep 1st 2012 at 3:06 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:20 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Thanks for the link i will mention it to him. Maybe he does get that not sure. I do worry as he's on his todd now and getting older. The rest of the family dont want anything to do with him.
Are you sure you don't know? You seemed pretty certain earlier.

That being said, 98 quid a week that my old man is trying to get by on is pretty crap.
, quite a bit more than 400 quid a month in the UK.
If you own your own home you get 98 quid a week but if you don't you get more.

... for all his efforts and not sponging off the system he gets 98 squid a week.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:12 pm
Banned

Are you sure you don't know? You seemed pretty certain earlier.
What is your issue exactly? Do you have anything to offer, or are you just hell bent on attacking me?

hardly makes a big difference does it? 98 quid a week is the max basic uk pension.....end of.

I see you have chosen to attack a meaningless aspect of my posts rather than the specifics. As i said you clearly have undertaken commenting on an issue you know nowt about.

It seems clear to me that you are defending the UK at all costs without an ounce of knowledge that can contribute to this topic.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

What is your issue exactly? Do you have anything to offer, or are you just held bent on attacking me?

hardly makes a big difference does it? 98 quid a week is the max basic uk pension.....end of.

I see you have chosen to attack a meaningless aspect of my posts rather than the specifics. As i said you clearly have undertaken commenting on an issue you know nowt about.

It seems clear to me that you are defending the UK at all costs without an ounce of knowledge that can contribute to this topic.
I'd just take BristolUK's word for this. He knows his stuff when it comes to entitlements/eligibilities
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What is your issue exactly? Do you have anything to offer, or are you just hell bent on attacking me?

hardly makes a big difference does it? 98 quid a week is the max basic uk pension.....end of. I see you have chosen to attack a meaningless aspect of my posts rather than the specifics. As i said you clearly have undertaken commenting on an issue you know nowt about.

Yet again you repeat the 98 quid, then chastise me for challenging it, saying it's a meaningless part of your argument?

Let me see... the UK Government says "The full basic State Pension for a single person is £107.45 per week in 2012-13."
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:33 pm
Banned

Yet again you repeat the 98 quid, then chastise me for challenging it, saying it's a meaningless part of your argument?

Let me see... the UK Government says "The full basic State Pension for a single person is £107.45 per week in 2012-13."
wow, an extra tenner...that will come in handy.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

better off there than over here in the US. At least you can get some kind of help in the UK.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

As a point of information, the Pension Credit for a single person is actually £142.70, according to the DirectGov site.

Also, the full basic state pension is not the maximum state pension, since many pensioners also get payments from SERPS (the State Earnings Related Pension Scheme).
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

hardly makes a big difference does it? 98 quid a week is the max basic uk pension.....end of. WRONG.

Basic UK state pension is £107.45 a week, this from the Directgov web site. at this rate he would be eligible for council tax benefit, and as a single person should have the 25% single person reduction as well, he may also be eligible for rent rebate depending on whether he is renting or not. He will also get free prescriptions and free bus travel. Council tax benefit is means tested, but he will qualify unless he has a lot of savings.
I'm talking from personal knowledge being a UK pensioner