Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

uk ~ canada rtn Flights

uk ~ canada rtn Flights

Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:48 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default uk ~ canada rtn Flights

I would like to purchase a budget, cheap, flight from Manchester to Toronto, return for a family member.

Anyone done this from Canada before and know of an easy way to do the purchase. I was thinking about calling a Uk Air Transat number? Online would be better though.

I will use a Canadian visa card and will require the tickets to be in some one elses name.

Any tips and info on how to do this would be great.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 2:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk ~ canada rtn Flights

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I would like to purchase a budget, cheap, flight from Manchester to Toronto, return for a family member.

Anyone done this from Canada before and know of an easy way to do the purchase. I was thinking about calling a Uk Air Transat number? Online would be better though.

I will use a Canadian visa card and will require the tickets to be in some one elses name.

Aren't you a Private Investigator?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 2:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yes but not a very good one, apparently. He ain't no Hong Kong Phooey.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 2:59 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

More an inspector gadget. Lol

Yeh i know, i should know everything about anything. But, i dont. So any ideas?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:01 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Do it by phone. A human can cope with different countries. Websites can't. The AC website can't cope with the fact that I am in Canada and my Amex card is in the UK.

I have spent the best part of two days trying to book a return from Ottawa to Vancouver. The AC website told me to do one and there is little point in trying to book by phone with AC in Canada. I ended up using the UK booking phone number (ie, somewhere in India). I'm still not sure if I have a ticket or not.

I guess I'll find out when I try to check in on Sunday. Ho hum.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done this, numerous times now I think about it. I used the internet to get the phone number of the airline, my mobile phone to call the number and then I said something like:

"Hello, I'd like to purchase a return ticket from London to Toronto ideally on flight numbers x and y on dates a and b. I'd like the ticket to be in the name of Philip Burwell"

The airline person says either "yes, we have availability" or begins a negotation about different flights.

At the end, the airline person says something like "Philip Burwell, was it? Is he a minor?"

I'd say "no, his email address is blah blah blah", give them my Amex number and forget about it. Later Philip Burwell would phone to complain about being forgotten at the airport.

Is there some particular aspect of telephone usage that you find challenging?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:15 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

More an inspector gadget. Lol

1. Call Airline booking number
  2. Check availability and book seat
  3. Give traveller details
  4. Pay

Or
  1. Go to airline website
  2. Check availability and book seat
  3. Give traveller details
  4. Pay

Good luck
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've done this, numerous times now I think about it. I used the internet to get the phone number of the airline, my mobile phone to call the number and then I said something like:

"Hello, I'd like to purchase a return ticket from London to Toronto ideally on flight numbers x and y on dates a and b. I'd like the ticket to be in the name of Philip Burwell"

The airline person says either "yes, we have availability" or begins a negotation about different flights.

At the end, the airline person says something like "Philip Burwell, was it? Is he a minor?"

I'd say "no, his email address is blah blah blah", give them my Amex number and forget about it. Later Philip Burwell would phone to complain about being forgotten at the airport.

Is there some particular aspect of telephone usage that you find challenging?
Thanks for that, fairly easy then. Thats good to know.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:17 pm
Beep

Thanks for that, fairly easy then. Thats good to know.
Done it a few times for my FIL with air transhite and also BA for my mum. It's no different to booking for yourself.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:21 pm

Done it a few times for my FIL with air transhite and also BA for my mum. It's no different to booking for yourself.
Thanks.

I was just concerned about name on card not matching name on ticket situation. But that apears to be ok with the airlines.

Edit. Just shows that if your Visa card goes missing anyone who finds it can book flights from anywhere to anywhere else, buy stuff and have delivery to a dif address, empty house maybe, and the card will pay up.

Last edited by magnumpi; Nov 9th 2011 at 3:26 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=magnumpi;9722903]Thanks.

I was just concerned about name on card not matching name on ticket situation. But that apears to be ok with the airlines.QUOTE]

No problem at all with this - my OH booked tickets for me recently over the phone with KLM and we have different surnames - no problem whatsoever, they didnt even question it