Wikiposts

For the TV streamers

Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:56 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the TV streamers

One of the better options is an Android TV box running XBMC. They are a similar price ($99) to an Apple TV and other devices and you can order them pre installed with the necessary software to watch live streaming TV, 'catch up' TV similar to IPlayer and ITV Player and stream the usual movies, TV shows.

Android TV Box

I've got my XBMC set up with a TV guide so I can see what's on now, on next, click on it and it plays. The TV Guide has the UK channels and some fo the US/Canadian ones also (I can get a picture if anyone is interested).

I don't have one of the above boxes yet (but will get one when I need a new TV somewhere in the house) but have an Apple TV and Raspberry Pi both running the same software (XBMC) and it works great.

So good in fact I'm likely going to cancel my Bell Satellite subscription in January and save myself $80 a month subscription.

The good thing about the Android TV Box is that it can download and run any Android App on your TV (web Browsers, games etc)

An added bonus is that ITV Player on an XBMC Setup takes out the adverts

Last edited by Animal; Dec 11th 2013 at 1:00 am.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
I was going to say, what is this...the 90s ?

VLC amongst other user friendly ones that require only a couple of clicks, and Bob is your uncle
Is VLC not really slow for ripping ? - The last time I tried it you had to watch or at least run the whole video and use VLC in "record" mode . Could be I am outdated as its a while since I tried to use VLC in that way
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:26 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

My setup is similar to the attached.

The only difference is that I have pictures in place of the words on the left for the Channels and I've got a 'time shift' on the actual times i.e. the 6 o'clock news will actually be shown as starting at 1pm.

Some of the channels I get are on the channel list attached (Sky Sports channels, movies etc) but also the usual CBS, ABC channels.

I've just set it up like this and on a trial for streaming the channels but if all goes well over the next 2 weeks I'll pay the $20 a month and bin my satellite.

So far had no buffering / pixelation and good quality.
Attached Thumbnails For the TV streamers-tv-guide.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Channels.pdf (5.9 KB, 210 views)
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Is VLC not really slow for ripping ? - The last time I tried it you had to watch or at least run the whole video and use VLC in "record" mode . Could be I am outdated as its a while since I tried to use VLC in that way
It's pretty quick at converting and generally does a much better job of a lot of things.The version a couple back did have a problem with converting to mp4 though, in that it wouldn't put the header info at the front of the file, which meant that those mp4 files couldn't be streamed until they were fully downloaded first, which meant things like WD TV Live and other media boxes couldn't play them.

I haven't ripped a disc in a while so can't say on the ripping but the last time I tried it was just as quick as anything else I had used.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Got the roku 3 from "Santa" still not had a chance to set it up yet - I am hoping the kids are going out today so I might get a chance to sit in peace for 5 minutes and give it a blast
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:53 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Got the roku 3 from "Santa" still not had a chance to set it up yet - I am hoping the kids are going out today so I might get a chance to sit in peace for 5 minutes and give it a blast
Got an Asus Cube from Santa and it is great, so far! Much speedier than the laptop tv combo
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so for those who use an ipad to mirror onto the Apple TV to watch BBC iPlayer...

We have just done this for the last few days but it's not full screen and there is the band at the top with www.bbc.co.uk... and other bits...

Does anybody know how to get it full screen?

Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Got an Asus Cube from Santa and it is great, so far! Much speedier than the laptop tv combo
Does it stream TV live or is it just for downloads?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:35 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Does it stream TV live or is it just for downloads?
It does stream TV, i watched Downton. I haven't watched any live TV yet, can't say i ever have. If you have cable then you can view all that stuff. It has Netflix. I've been viewing my photos and throwing images from my tablet to the Cube. Much fun. Now i have to find wherei threw them
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
OK, so for those who use an ipad to mirror onto the Apple TV to watch BBC iPlayer...

We have just done this for the last few days but it's not full screen and there is the band at the top with www.bbc.co.uk... and other bits...

Does anybody know how to get it full screen?

Thanks
This is a bit tangly due to the aspect ratio of the ipad being 4:3 and your telly being 16:9 . You can try going into the settings on your apple tv and messing around with the overscan settings until you get what suits you best
Old Dec 29th 2013, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

One thing with this Roku is that as its all channel based it has no native internet browser which is a pain in the ass . Will need to do some dicking around with it to see if I can get a work around for that
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

One thing with this Roku is that as its all channel based it has no native internet browser which is a pain in the ass . Will need to do some dicking around with it to see if I can get a work around for that
I think that's the same with Apple TV but I really only use it for mirroring BBC and ITV or streaming sport. HID watches Netflix but the films are pretty rubbish and it has other channels but they all look crap.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:19 pm
limey party pooper

What does that mean please "mirroring"
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What does that mean please "mirroring"
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-mirror-site.htm
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:25 pm
limey party pooper

Thanks, but i hate links as replies. I am no wiser about how this is used to watch BBC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.