British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   TV shows. Anybody on here been on one? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/tv-shows-anybody-here-been-one-895298/)

bats Apr 11th 2017 12:26 pm

TV shows. Anybody on here been on one?

I was watching yet another home reno show and the couple were from NI. There seem to be loads of Brits on the telly so I wondered if anyone from here had ever been in one?

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 11th 2017 1:03 pm

Re: TV shows. Anybody on here been on one?

My wife has has small non-speaking roles in some movies and made for TV movies as well as some commercials.

DandNHill Apr 11th 2017 1:13 pm

Never. Despite my grandmother living in Shepperton.
I believe my cousins spent the day in an open top Rolls waiting to do their bit to advertise Opal Fruits...
So maybe there was a benefit to having a grandmother inShepperton after all?

Danny B Apr 11th 2017 3:40 pm

Does Crimewatch count?

Partially discharged Apr 11th 2017 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12227291)
I was watching yet another home reno show and the couple were from NI. There seem to be loads of Brits on the telly so I wondered if anyone from here had ever been in one?

City Council/Planning Committee meetings which are on local access cable. It is truly scary who watches those and tells you they saw you on TV presenting something.

Daughter and wife were on a telethon donating a big cheque as part of a school group for raising charitable funds.

Speakers Corners on CITY TV.

In 1990, midway between Manchester and Buxton on a road in the Peak District Granada TV were doing a piece about tourism in the Peak District and there was some light construction which caused people to slow down. Granada used that as a way to interview people in their cars and ask where they were from, where they were going. I was living in Canada then and was with a friend and we were travelling from the Manchester area with an eventual destination of the Cote D'Azur. Needless to say our brief interview made the cut for broadcast that evening once we told them we were heading to the south of France via a road between Hayfield and Buxton.

I'm angling for an episode of Border Security where I get pulled over with a suitcase full of Bourneville Dark, Ribena, Robinson's Barley Water and Rowntree's Blackcurrant Pastilles.

DandNHill Apr 12th 2017 12:00 am

Oohh. I remember. I had a friend who was on risking it all. Do you remember that show?

BristolUK Apr 12th 2017 12:38 am

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12227561)
Oohh. I remember. I had a friend who was on risking it all. Do you remember that show?

Never heard of it but, having looked it up, I'm sure I'd remember as far back as 2014 :rofl:
(sorry :o)

Charlie Dimmock was filming something in the garden over the back of mine back in Totterdown. Other than that, I've been visible on a few picket lines on local news. :lol:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...izen_smith.jpg

Novocastrian Apr 12th 2017 2:26 am

I've been a studio guest interviewee on the now defunct CTV early morning news program, Canada A.M., three or four times (and used to have the coffee mugs to prove it before we decluttered in 2015).

mikelincs Apr 12th 2017 2:53 am

Been on several chat shows either invited to be there in the audience or as a panel guest, you know where a strap lie appears with your name while you are speaking and also on a number of filmed segments of shows. Have been on many different radio programmes from Talksport to one from New Zealand.

jamesmc Apr 12th 2017 2:56 am

aye "farming" show one sunday morning in the 70s (was hauling silage). A special when the queen was opening "express dairies" new creamery in75 (was one o the folk sitting on a load o bales . Then a documentary by Volvo on the new BM loaders when I was working in forestry circa 78.

Oakvillian Apr 12th 2017 3:08 am

I (along with the rest of my rowing crew) was an extra in a TV movie about Roger Bannister's four-minute mile, in the late 80s. I was on a vox-pop interview segment for the Weather Network a few years ago, I'd taken the dog for a walk by the lakeshore in Oakville as a big storm system was coming in, and the network had sent some poor junior reporter into the field to ask people what the hell they were doing outside in this weather...

Oh, and the choir I sing with is regularly on the Cogeco community TV, because Cogeco provides sponsorship-in-kind to the choir so that they can use our concerts to train up camera operators, sound mixers and OB directors. The production quality is very much community-TV level, but it does give the kids a chance to laugh at the funny faces I make when I sing...

mikelincs Apr 12th 2017 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12227539)
City Council/Planning Committee meetings which are on local access cable. It is truly scary who watches those and tells you they saw you on TV presenting something.

Daughter and wife were on a telethon donating a big cheque as part of a school group for raising charitable funds.

Speakers Corners on CITY TV.

In 1990, midway between Manchester and Buxton on a road in the Peak District Granada TV were doing a piece about tourism in the Peak District and there was some light construction which caused people to slow down. Granada used that as a way to interview people in their cars and ask where they were from, where they were going. I was living in Canada then and was with a friend and we were travelling from the Manchester area with an eventual destination of the Cote D'Azur. Needless to say our brief interview made the cut for broadcast that evening once we told them we were heading to the south of France via a road between Hayfield and Buxton.

I'm angling for an episode of Border Security where I get pulled over with a suitcase full of Bourneville Dark, Ribena, Robinson's Barley Water and Rowntree's Blackcurrant Pastilles.

and Former Lancastrian to pull you over?.. :rofl:

Novocastrian Apr 12th 2017 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12227696)
I (along with the rest of my rowing crew) was an extra in a TV movie about Roger Bannister's four-minute mile, in the late 80s.

Off topic, but I remember climbing over a wall at the Iffley Road track after a boozy evening with a descendant of William Pitt. We both reckoned 4 minutes was easy.

We were both wrong and of course we weren't on TV (luckily, because we probably should have been arrested).

Tangram Apr 12th 2017 3:37 am

I was in the background on an episode of Brookside

mrken30 Apr 12th 2017 3:41 am

I was in the audience on Top Gear many years ago.

BristolUK Apr 12th 2017 3:54 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12227687)
...been on many different radio programmes...

Just remembered...was interviewed for radio on a picket once. It was broadcast but I never heard it.

Oh... that reminds me. Radio West - the real radio west, not the one from Shoestring - called me on my birthday once. That was broadcast but I didn't hear it as I was on the phone to one of the presenter/DJs at the time :lol:

Partially discharged Apr 12th 2017 4:18 am

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 12227689)
aye "farming" show one sunday morning in the 70s (was hauling silage). A special when the queen was opening "express dairies" new creamery in75 (was one o the folk sitting on a load o bales . Then a documentary by Volvo on the new BM loaders when I was working in forestry circa 78.

You should have been interviewed by Alan Partridge.

Teaandtoday5 Apr 12th 2017 4:19 am

One of my primary school teachers, Mr Brackley, was on 70s quiz show 'Gambit', and my secondary school German teacher, Miss Tonge, was on 'Mastermind'. My life has been an amazing series of brushes with fame.:p

Partially discharged Apr 12th 2017 4:22 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12227700)
and Former Lancastrian to pull you over?.. :rofl:

ha ha. There are a couple on the Canadian show who could make get searched more pleasant ;););)

Shard Apr 12th 2017 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12227539)
Needless to say our brief interview made the cut for broadcast that evening once we told them we were heading to the south of France via a road between Hayfield and Buxton.

:lol:
:lol:

It's a nope from me.

BristolUK Apr 12th 2017 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12227755)
One of my primary school teachers, Mr Brackley, was on 70s quiz show 'Gambit', and my secondary school German teacher, Miss Tonge, was on 'Mastermind'. My life has been an amazing series of brushes with fame.:p

It's funny...when you hear things like that you remember more. :rofl:

My Maths teacher - Jim Waterman - played rugby for Bath so he'd have been on the telly.

Oakvillian Apr 12th 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12227873)
It's funny...when you hear things like that you remember more. :rofl:

My Maths teacher - Jim Waterman - played rugby for Bath so he'd have been on the telly.

Ah yes, I was taught history for a term or two by Alastair Hignell, who was one of the last people, I think, to be a top-flight player of two different sports. He played Rugby Union for Bristol (and England) in the winter, and cricket for Gloucestershire in the summer. He then went on to be a radio and TV journalist, so was on the telly quite a bit.

mrken30 Apr 12th 2017 8:36 am

My niece in on the credits for the last Harry Potter movie, does that count? She did not appear on screen though.

Mr Bean Apr 12th 2017 9:23 am

I was on Record Breakers, Noel's House Party and So You Think You Can Dance, Canada, my name was in the credits.

DandNHill Apr 12th 2017 10:01 am

My husband tells me that his parents and their hotel was the inspiration for John Cleese to write Fawlty Towers. Now that says a lot about the inlaws!!

Oh hubby was in several episodes of a year in the life of Gatwick Airport.

I've been on local radio several times in small town NS but my fame is really all by association. Like Teatoday I have to cling to whatever I can! 😜😉

bats Apr 12th 2017 10:04 am

I was thinking of reality shows, the home ones, or Come Dine With Me, Master Chef!, Big Brother even. I just wonder how much control over how you're presente as so many people come across as total nitwits.

It seems some of you are almost famous. Me I've never been on the telly and I intend to keep it that way.

BristolUK Apr 12th 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12228025)
I was thinking of reality shows, the home ones...

I did try to keep it on track with my Charlie Dimmock reference. :rofl:

Teaandtoday5 Apr 12th 2017 12:10 pm

It seems some of you are almost famous. Me I've never been on the telly and I intend to keep it that way.

I feel the same. Not even the attractive (if annoying) Phil would be enough to get me onto LLL. Not that I have the sort of budget they are used to anyway.

(I would however be happy to be an audience member, if anyone from C4 is reading, as long as I could sit very close to Adam Hills. Restraining order close, ideally.)

MillieF Apr 12th 2017 2:09 pm

I've become 'practically' famous since moving to Fredericton! Not much happens here! I've been on Global News for the last 4 years, shoveling out after snow storms...not because I shovel particularly well, but because we live in a cul de sac a couple of turnings away from their studio. I was interviewed by Qubec tele when I got my Citizenship...I was the only one there that could speak French. I am also on some school broadcast about women's rights, being spat at by Pro Lifers; it comes on regularly in one school or another and everyone tells my son.

I think I may have preferred being on The Weakest Link, rather than coming to Canada, and proving myself to be one :unsure:

Flossie and Jim Apr 12th 2017 2:14 pm

I was an extra in a BBC TV 'Play for Today' back in the mid 1980's - they used a load of kids from our primary school. It was a WW2 drama so we got to wear period costumes. I was paid the princely sum of ten pounds and still have my BBC Contract somewhere. We spent a whole afternoon and evening dancing around a bonfire apparently celebrating the end of WW2 or something. When all the family sat down to watch it there was about 30 seconds at the end of the show :rofl:

Also appeared on Wish You Were Here - they were doing a piece on the 'lovely' holiday camp we were staying at in Bognor. I was filmed jumping around in the swimming pool. For this I was paid with a stick of rock and a wish you were here badge :huh:

Tootlepootle Apr 12th 2017 4:50 pm

I did a live segment on Richard and Judy!!
My legs appeared on Midlands Today.
I sang live on Radio Shropshire.

My rock and Roll life!!!

scrubbedexpat142 Apr 12th 2017 8:27 pm

"My legs appeared on Midlands Today."

Was that to do with a certain art expert who described Shropshire ladies as having thick calves (or something similar!)?

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2017 9:01 pm

I was thinking of reality shows, the home ones, or Come Dine With Me, Master Chef!, Big Brother even. I just wonder how much control over how you're presente as so many people come across as total nitwits.

I was interviewed on the Radio 1 Road Show in St Ives in 1977.

We've had a few in the Aus boards who've been on Wanted Down Under or whatever it's called. They all confirmed that they were honestly not as dumb as they appeared and were edited to within an inch of their lives. :D

dbd33 Apr 13th 2017 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12228286)
"My legs appeared on Midlands Today."

Was that to do with a certain art expert who described Shropshire ladies as having thick calves (or something similar!)?

It sounds like an early exit from Naked Attraction.

BristolUK Apr 13th 2017 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 12228183)
My rock and Roll life!!!

Is Geraldine based on you, just a little bit? :lol:

I don't remember knowing her full name :o

Geraldine Julie Andrews Dick van Dyke Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius Chim-Chiminey Chim-Chiminey Chim-Chim-Cheree Granger

cheeky_monkey Apr 13th 2017 6:03 am

does we are the champions or Cheggars plays pop count??

JamesM Apr 13th 2017 6:14 am

No. I once did an interview on an Apple Product launch though and then CityTV edited and twisted my comments out of context. I now no longer give interviews with out a lawyer present.

Novocastrian Apr 13th 2017 7:25 am

Never having watched a Reality TV show, how would I know if I had been on one?

mikelincs Apr 13th 2017 8:33 am

Yes, but we've all seen you in those videos... nudge, nudge, wink, wink....

Lisa1910 Apr 14th 2017 1:29 am

I was the "and here's someone that's already made the move" on A Place In The Sun back in 2004. That was our last foreign move (to Tobago). Back to the UK in 2009, and we're now optimistically eyeing up Canada... :D.