Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are trucks really this cheap?

Are trucks really this cheap?

Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are trucks really this cheap?

My take on these is that they are both RWD not 4WD which would make them worth a lot more. Rear wheel drive trucks suck in bad weather most of the time.

I currently own an old GMC which has over 450,000 kms on it and it still starts on the button and is perfect for those runs to the tip or hauling loads but i wouldn't want to drive it on long distance cruises, it's not the most comfortable vehicle and the steering is vague as are the brakes.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:43 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Has anyone else noticed how ugly the houses are here. They're all garage with a few rooms stuck on top and at the back. I realize they want them to blend in with the scenery but ffs couldn't they make a little less horrible to look at?
a bit of a sweeping generalization...its not as if the UK is all thatched cottages and georgian townhouses

there is the modern take on the classic coronation street terrace, the 'semi' (which is equally common in the north west) and the modern detached has, lets wait it for it......a few rooms stuck on top of the garage:

The UK has left us with as many eyesores in recent years.

Are trucks really this cheap?-imagesca0k1bqr.jpg

Are trucks really this cheap?-semi.jpg

Are trucks really this cheap?-imagesca232xrp.jpg
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:44 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my street.......Are trucks really this cheap?-47114_10150240991815015_230398585014_14381709_8380887_n.jpg

the garage is at the back you will be pleased to know.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caretaker
People buy Ontario vehicles cheap, bring them to Saskatchewan then try to get them safetied and sell them or sell them needing the safety cert.. Ontario has more sleet and freezing rain than anywhere else in Canada and so uses way more road salt. The result is the vehicles rust out faster so at 10 years the rocker panels are rusting out and depending which province you're in holes in the body are enough for the law to condemn your car if you get snared in a safety check. My sister in Ont. who worked for Chrysler thought it was silly of me to buy a 2000 van with 317 thou k. She said cars just don't last that long, but nearly 3 years later next oil change is due @ 380 thou but the little brown dots I saw on the rocker panels then are holes now. Even though I could drive it across the country metal fatigue will eventually kill it. Buying used means looking at the glass, tires, body, power train and a few use indicators. Look at how much rubber is gone off the brake pedal; that can say how much is highway and how much is city mileage. See if the paint on the firewall and inside the doors matches the body and see how the doors and trunk fit. It might of been hit before the seller bought it and he may not even know. A 2000 half ton goes for around $5000 so if something looks too good to be true look it over extra carefully. New truck prices have gone down but the ads are misleading. The $21,000 truck might cost 6 grand more by the time you buy a few extras and pay tax and delivery. My friend bought a bare bones 1/4 ton Ranger for $15k 2 years ago and it cost 20 even without extras. I still can't understand it..... 2wd and no power anything. He could of got one for the same price loaded to the nuts with 4wd if he'd bought a 3 year old one with 50,000 k on it.
Thanks bud, lots of good advice there.

And I agree I would want a 4x4 too.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:23 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Well i like the garage at the front look. Our garage sticks out from the house and dont take up any house room.

We looked at a few houses with garage in the house, rooms on top, but the inside of the house was so much smaller.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
We looked at a few houses with garage in the house, rooms on top, but the inside of the house was so much smaller.
And the room over garage is always cold and usually full of poisonous fumes. An in-law suite, perhaps.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:18 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And the room over garage is always cold and usually full of poisonous fumes. An in-law suite, perhaps.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

Also they are gas trucks look at the same year truck in diesel and they will be alot more.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kirsty John and Dominic
Also they are gas trucks look at the same year truck in diesel and they will be alot more.
That's fine, diseasels are for farmers and tractors anyway.