Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are trucks really this cheap?

Are trucks really this cheap?

Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:05 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are trucks really this cheap?

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's what Ontario looks like.
Ahem. That's what the ugly, commuter belt parts of Ontario look like. You know, where people move to have a great big house on a teeny little plot, backing onto the motorway, for the kids.

As for the trucks, a new Dodge Ram will set you back about $20,000 for the most basic, featureless model available. I'd keep that in mind when looking at one costing $1500.

Furthermore, Dodge trucks are monumentally ugly. Put one beside a new F-150 and it looks very much like the poor relation. I can't be bothered to look up their towing capability, I'm struggling to recall if I've ever seen one towing anything worthy of note.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok guys, that's fine, you've answered my question (yes, but they will be crap) lol

And I agree the ram's are ugly. I want a Chevy
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Ahem. That's what the ugly, commuter belt parts of Ontario look like. You know, where people move to have a great big house on a teeny little plot, backing onto the motorway, for the kids.
Well, maybe not absolutely all of Ontario, but when I write that, for example, Mississauga or Oakville north of the QEW is a hellish wasteland that would make one see the good side of life at Broadwater Farm, that's the sort of thing I have in mind.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Well, maybe not absolutely all of Ontario, but when I write that, for example, Mississauga or Oakville north of the QEW is a hellish wasteland that would make one see the good side of life at Broadwater Farm, that's the sort of thing I have in mind.
They say immigrants can endure many hardships but that's just so depressing. At least you have lots of nice neighbourhood pubs you wander down to get a bit of company and a nice pint.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They say immigrants can endure many hardships but that's just so depressing. At least you have lots of nice neighbourhood pubs you wander down to get a bit of company and a nice pint.
In Tottenham? Yes.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:17 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Cheap to buy...bloody expensive to run.

Everyone we know was buying F150's last year as they were so cheap here. Funny they now all seem to selling them and buying something more sensible.

We don't have one by the way.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:20 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I just asked the red ram man if milage was a mistake.

Obviously it is, its 220000 km stil not bad. Looks like a genuine add, so yes, old trucks is cheap.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:22 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Well yes, but who wants to move continents to end up there? Oh, hang on, BE'ers!

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Cheap to buy...bloody expensive to run.

Everyone we know was buying F150's last year as they were so cheap here. Funny they now all seem to selling them and buying something more sensible.

We don't have one by the way.
Cheap compared to what though? If you need a truck (and I accept that many people are just poseurs) then it's getting pretty hard to find a new mid-sized pick up, they are all being phased out.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:41 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I really like cars and have owned a large number. Why though, unless you have lots of stuff to move frequently, would you possibly want a truck like that?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:25 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I really like cars and have owned a large number. Why though, unless you have lots of stuff to move frequently, would you possibly want a truck like that?
Ever towed a reasonably large boat, camping trailer, horse trailer etc with a car?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:44 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Ever towed a reasonably large boat, camping trailer, horse trailer etc with a car?
Apologies, my list was not exhaustive. Is the OP planning on owning any of the above I wonder?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
RICH.

I have a half ton Yukon. Assuming typical horses (Warmbloods, Quarterhorse) have big a horse trailer could I reasonably pull, 1 horse, 2 horses, 3 horses? Assume a modern aluminium trailer (I know they are not available in North America)
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
That's a fair question...

I plan to buy old broken cars/sports cars and restore them, so truck will tow trailers, and have space for spare engines/trannies, parts etc.

It also makes it easier for me to shop on Kijiji for furniture and all the usual crap you chuck in your rec rooms and never use, like exercise equipment

And of course I just bloomin like them
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
It was just an example. Here's another one: $1300

http://www.carartz.com/other/misc/ram2.jpeg

Surely they're not ALL scams? lol

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ344903808
Is that not rusty all along the bottom doors? We buy and sell lots on Kijiji, we also have lots of wild goose chases, due to misinformation by the sellers.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Jan 14th 2012 at 1:27 am.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:37 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

People buy Ontario vehicles cheap, bring them to Saskatchewan then try to get them safetied and sell them or sell them needing the safety cert.. Ontario has more sleet and freezing rain than anywhere else in Canada and so uses way more road salt. The result is the vehicles rust out faster so at 10 years the rocker panels are rusting out and depending which province you're in holes in the body are enough for the law to condemn your car if you get snared in a safety check. My sister in Ont. who worked for Chrysler thought it was silly of me to buy a 2000 van with 317 thou k. She said cars just don't last that long, but nearly 3 years later next oil change is due @ 380 thou but the little brown dots I saw on the rocker panels then are holes now. Even though I could drive it across the country metal fatigue will eventually kill it. Buying used means looking at the glass, tires, body, power train and a few use indicators. Look at how much rubber is gone off the brake pedal; that can say how much is highway and how much is city mileage. See if the paint on the firewall and inside the doors matches the body and see how the doors and trunk fit. It might of been hit before the seller bought it and he may not even know. A 2000 half ton goes for around $5000 so if something looks too good to be true look it over extra carefully. New truck prices have gone down but the ads are misleading. The $21,000 truck might cost 6 grand more by the time you buy a few extras and pay tax and delivery. My friend bought a bare bones 1/4 ton Ranger for $15k 2 years ago and it cost 20 even without extras. I still can't understand it..... 2wd and no power anything. He could of got one for the same price loaded to the nuts with 4wd if he'd bought a 3 year old one with 50,000 k on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.