Reload this Page >

Are trucks really this cheap?

Wikiposts

Are trucks really this cheap?

Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are trucks really this cheap?

I'll post the link to the Kijiji ad below, but there's a 1998 Dodge Ram crew cab pick up for only $1200

Looks nice in it's shiney red paint:

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ345442533

I've found a lot of trucks around the $1500 range which look amazing value.

So what's the deal, are they like the equivalent of a Vectra over here? Folk buy them new, keep them for three years and then they go on the bargain market?

Are they too expensive to maintain if you don't have the knowledge/tools to do it yourself?

Now I know there are plenty of puppy loving hippies out there that will want to damn me to hell for wanting one of these "crimes against humanity", so don't waste your time trying to convert me, I'm already going to hell

(ps, I love puppies)
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:40 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are trucks really this cheap?

Did you email it?

Lots of scams on Kijiji regarding vcles. This one has 22000 km either a typo or a scam.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its a 1998, its probably completely shagged out. Second hand cars and trucks are usually really expensive in Canada.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:42 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its a 98, its basically waiting to die in Cdn terms, a transmission is probably due along with a bunch of other components.

Beyond a certain age any non collectors car/ truck that can be safetied and etested so you can drive it on the road legally, is worth $1500 regardless of what it is. If its not safetied and etested then its a gamble to buy, could cost a mint to get back registered.

Kijiji is full of car scams, but usually they are newer more upmarket vehicles for bargain prices.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 13th 2012 at 5:45 am.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think being on Kijiji says it all BEWARE.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:45 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I think being on Kijiji says it all BEWARE.
Nowt intrinsically wrong with kijiji, just apply common sense. Ive sold two of my old cars that way.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:45 am
Account Closed

It was just an example. Here's another one: $1300

Surely they're not ALL scams? lol

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ344903808
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:46 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
It was just an example. Here's another one: $1300

http://www.carartz.com/other/misc/ram2.jpeg

Surely they're not ALL scams? lol

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ344903808
372000 km
No heater (need to take the cab off to do that I suspect)
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'll post the link to the Kijiji ad below, but there's a 1998 Dodge Ram crew cab pick up for only $1200

Looks nice in it's shiney red paint:

http://www.carartz.com/other/misc/ram1.jpeg

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ345442533

I've found a lot of trucks around the $1500 range which look amazing value.

So what's the deal, are they like the equivalent of a Vectra over here? Folk buy them new, keep them for three years and then they go on the bargain market?

Are they too expensive to maintain if you don't have the knowledge/tools to do it yourself?

Now I know there are plenty of puppy loving hippies out there that will want to damn me to hell for wanting one of these "crimes against humanity", so don't waste your time trying to convert me, I'm already going to hell

(ps, I love puppies)
Has anyone else noticed how ugly the houses are here. They're all garage with a few rooms stuck on top and at the back. I realize they want them to blend in with the scenery but ffs couldn't they make a little less horrible to look at?
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
372000 km
It's a Chrysler product and it's out of warranty and uncertified. $1,000 would be a lot.
Account Closed

I know what you're all saying. I use Gumtree over here so I know what to look for and what to avoid.

I'm not averse to the odd engine swap or panel needing welded, as long as the car does exist to begin with lol.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Has anyone else noticed how ugly the houses are here. They're all garage with a few rooms stuck on top and at the back. I realize they want them to blend in with the scenery but ffs couldn't they make a little less horrible to look at?
That's what Ontario looks like.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:51 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're all saying. I use Gumtree over here so I know what to look for and what to avoid.

I'm not averse to the odd engine swap or panel needing welded, as long as the car does exist to begin with lol.
So you might as well up your budget and buy one that will work
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OP should read this link
http://help.kijiji.net/ca/knowledgebase.php?category=7

I agree not all are scams even Craigslist and E Bay have scammers.
Due dilligence is all that is needed.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jan 13th 2012 at 6:04 am.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:00 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In BC there are a good number of people who will buy a vehicle new then keep it until the cost of repairing it exceeds the cost of payments on a new one. Then they sell them off as beaters. A 1998 truck for $1,200 sounds like it is in that category. There is probably a 4 or 5 missing off the front if the quoted kms is 22,000.

I suspect Iaink is right that there is something very expensive that needs doing soon. However, if you are a competent mechanic, or good mates with one, and can spot what needs doing right now and what could be put off for a while, this can be a cheap option to get you mobile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.