Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trip back to Blighty!!!

Trip back to Blighty!!!

Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:34 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip back to Blighty!!!

I have my flights booked and car hired for mid November as I'm about to become a Grandma Moochops!

Mr MMC is not accompanying as it's hunting season <roll eyes> but tbh I'm excited be spending time with my daughter / partner and new grandson as opposed to doing any sightseeing, which he would want to do (understandably - being a Canuck for the first time in England)

I'm nervous about the drive from Gatwick to Leicester bizarrely enough, but also nervous about stepping off the plane and wanting to come straight back home.

After 6 years here and this being the first 'proper' trip back, I'm also anxious to see what the home country looks like if that doesn't sound too odd.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 9:16 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip back to Blighty!!!

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I have my flights booked and car hired for mid November as I'm about to become a Grandma Moochops!

Mr MMC is not accompanying as it's hunting season <roll eyes> but tbh I'm excited be spending time with my daughter / partner and new grandson as opposed to doing any sightseeing, which he would want to do (understandably - being a Canuck for the first time in England)

I'm nervous about the drive from Gatwick to Leicester bizarrely enough, but also nervous about stepping off the plane and wanting to come straight back home.

After 6 years here and this being the first 'proper' trip back, I'm also anxious to see what the home country looks like if that doesn't sound too odd.
Thanks for the heads up. Will avoid driving on the M25/M1 in mid November.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be changing your username to Grandma Mooses?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Does this trip signify that you have finally got your PR card???

I can fully understand it, I'd be nervous too...many a year since I stomped round Fosse Road School for Girls! I've only been back to London in the last 20 years, for shopping trip weekends and to show my husband and son the London Eye and Big Ben etc. I would be quite worried about how I'd feel.

The thing is you can get all your emotional bits out of the way and all your own feelings under control then, before showing MMC the bits of England you want him to see at a later date in better weather.

I am sure you are going to have a complete blast
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Does this trip signify that you have finally got your PR card???

I can fully understand it, I'd be nervous too...many a year since I stomped round Fosse Road School for Girls! I've only been back to London in the last 20 years, for shopping trip weekends and to show my husband and son the London Eye and Big Ben etc. I would be quite worried about how I'd feel.

The thing is you can get all your emotional bits out of the way and all your own feelings under control then, before showing MMC the bits of England you want him to see at a later date in better weather.

I am sure you are going to have a complete blast
Pfft no it doesn't but to hell in a hand basket if they think I'm not going to travel because of a piece of plastic. This is my first grandchild.

I actually get a day off (well at least one thats not on a bank holiday / Sunday) next week so i'll be calling the call centre to see wtf if anything is going on.

The stupidest thing about this is all I can think about is all the comments I read on here about people that have gone back saying how green he UK is!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Completely understand your nerves, especially the driving bit, but once your doing it it will be second nature, remember you drove in the UK for longer than you have been driving here. Just don't have too many drinks on the plane lol
Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:21 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Completely understand your nerves, especially the driving bit, but once your doing it it will be second nature, remember you drove in the UK for longer than you have been driving here. Just don't have too many drinks on the plane lol
I suppose!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:17 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

I pm`d you
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:16 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, we going to meet up?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

oooh how exciting!!!

I won't go back because I don't want to drive there Scares the crap out of me. Think I'd get the train and get someone to pick me up.

Either way have a fab trip. Enjoy the greenery and fish and chips.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:36 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Only back a couple of weeks. It was a right laugh.

Enjoy MMC.

Hunting season???
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:47 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the UK for nearly two weeks and I am sure as hell looking forward to AC889 on Monday. I've had enough of hotels (and I've run out of clothes).

My God but this place is crowded. It took almost as long yesterday to get from Kings Cross to Wimbledon as it took from York to Kings Cross.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:00 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

My God but this place is crowded. It took almost as long yesterday to get from Kings Cross to Wimbledon as it took from York to Kings Cross.
By tube or car ?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:04 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
By tube or car ?
Tube, train and bus. Lots of dragging a suitcase around, which was a joy.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:11 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Souvy
Tube, train and bus. Lots of dragging a suitcase around, which was a joy.
Yes, not much fun going through London with a suitcase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.