Trial by media

Old May 15th 2015, 3:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trial by media

Originally Posted by dbd33
I agree with that, in the sense that it doesn't seem to be a story worthy of international reportage.

As I see it, a man-child decided to try and get his face on television by shouting things he knew to be offensive to lots of people. He succeeded. Among the people he offended was his employer who then gave him the, metaphorical, boot. He was lucky not to get a literal boot but, otherwise, he got what he was looking for. He has his 15 minutes. If no one, including his employer, wants to have anything to do with him anymore, fair enough; he set out to give offence and he's given it.
He was lucky not to get a literal boot, but perhaps what he has got will be far worse in the long run.
Old May 15th 2015, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Then you are missing the point. The reporter who stood her ground and fought back instead of rushing away with her head down and cheeks burning is the point. Shauna is the point. Her, and everyone of the strong smart women, and men, arguing on here that this is not acceptable, ever.
Is there anyone arguing that this is acceptable?

I have to say that I only know of this fashion from this thread but I would have thought that, if one were a sports broadcaster, male or female, doing one's job and someone interrupted to bellow obscenities, one would take that person to task. If one were athletic, one might do so physically.

Rather wimpish not to do so, surely?
Old May 15th 2015, 3:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I only know of this fashion from this thread but I would have thought that, if one were a sports broadcaster, male or female, doing one's job and someone interrupted to bellow obscenities, one would take that person to task. If one were athletic, one might do so physically.

This thread perfectly illustrates the dangers of mob rule.
Old May 15th 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Semantics.

She should be tough enough is already on the list of excuses. Along with 'can't you take a joke' and 'it was only a compliment'.
Old May 15th 2015, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
She should be tough enough is already on the list of excuses. Along with 'can't you take a joke' and 'it was only a compliment'.
I'm not saying that she should put up with it. I'm expressing surprise that anyone would put up with it.

Surely if someone interrupted your work to shout obscentities you'd react badly. The theme of the thread seems to be that sports people (except for this one) do not. Why ever not?

Last edited by dbd33; May 15th 2015 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

He has said he sorry so let's all forgive and forget now, except that now it's all over the interenet so just do the forgive bit

CityNews says the man sent Hunt a written apology on Friday.
The station quotes Hunt as saying she appreciated him reaching out with what she felt was a "very genuine apology" and was "happy to accept it."
Old May 16th 2015, 2:25 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure this has been asked earlier, but if it had been a boozed up ladette throwing offensive insults to a male reporter, then would have there have been such an uproar? Would it be a case of the man not being manly enough to take an insult, and thus it not being seen as a problem?

I'm NOT trying to condone the idiot for his offensive comment, before anyone tries to accuse me of being sexist.
Old May 16th 2015, 2:57 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Media reports say the guy was an engineer. If he has professional accreditation his loss of his most recent employment may only be the start of his problems.

This was not so much trail by media as awareness through media. Those condoning the Arsenal fan's outrageous behaviour should be aware that, had this incident been reported other than through the media, he may still have been facing pretty severe consequences. Take a look at the publicly available results of disciplinary hearings by professional bodies and you'll find examples of inappropriate behaviour that never made the media.
Old May 16th 2015, 3:11 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

awareness by media. exactly.
Old May 16th 2015, 3:14 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
Media reports say the guy was an engineer. If he has professional accreditation his loss of his most recent employment may only be the start of his problems.

This was not so much trail by media as awareness through media. Those condoning the Arsenal fan's outrageous behaviour should be aware that, had this incident been reported other than through the media, he may still have been facing pretty severe consequences. Take a look at the publicly available results of disciplinary hearings by professional bodies and you'll find examples of inappropriate behaviour that never made the media.

1. No one that I know of have condoned his behaviour, unless u can paste one in for all to see ?

2. The people who you quote who were dismissed without a media wide frenzy, can go get another job once the incident cools down, this guy is now a life long unemployed "foul mouthed" chap. As any employee would most likely just need to refer to Google for an up to date resume.
Old May 16th 2015, 4:31 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
1. No one that I know of have condoned his behaviour, unless u can paste one in for all to see ?

2. The people who you quote who were dismissed without a media wide frenzy, can go get another job once the incident cools down, this guy is now a life long unemployed "foul mouthed" chap. As any employee would most likely just need to refer to Google for an up to date resume.
1. Look up the definition of condone.

2. Not easily, if they have had their licence to practice revoked.

Apologies for inaccuracy in my original post, he may not have been an Arsenal fan, a TFC fan or even a soccer fan.
Old May 16th 2015, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I'm sure this has been asked earlier, but if it had been a boozed up ladette throwing offensive insults to a male reporter, then would have there have been such an uproar? Would it be a case of the man not being manly enough to take an insult, and thus it not being seen as a problem?

I'm NOT trying to condone the idiot for his offensive comment, before anyone tries to accuse me of being sexist.
+1.

For those going oh blah blah blah if he loses his license to practise etc. My question is WHY would hypothetical "he" lose his license to practise if the action had nothing to do with his job
Old May 16th 2015, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Exactly!! Society bothers me sometimes... This guys actions were in no way correct, but was the punishment really fitting to the crime?

You people who say it was right for him to lose his job (and probably won't be able to get another one in his field) , have fun paying for his welfare / benefit cheques through your taxes! He was a hard working employee earning his keep and his stupid action outside of work should have had nothing to do with his day job.
Old May 16th 2015, 5:03 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Exactly!! Society bothers me sometimes... This guys actions were in no way correct, but was the punishment really fitting to the crime?

You people who say it was right for him to lose his job (and probably won't be able to get another one in his field) , have fun paying for his welfare / benefit cheques through your taxes! He was a hard working employee earning his keep and his stupid action outside of work should have had nothing to do with his day job.
But your father has a code of conduct to maintain at all times regardless of where he is or what he is doing, doesn't he? ... So does my husband and so will I when I get registered. Is that fair? Yes completely, would you want to be treated by someone who felt this way and thought it was acceptable to behave in that manner? I know I could get struck off for many kinds of inappropriate behaviour and if I chose to still behave in that manner knowing the consequences, then as well as being a thoroughly unpleasant person, it would make me a dumb ass too. But I don't.. Of course.

If they made it clear to him what they expected at all times, then why shouldn't he lose his job?

Last edited by Tirytory; May 16th 2015 at 5:05 pm.
Old May 16th 2015, 8:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus

It would have been a different kind of uproar. The laddettes would have been accused of unladylike behaviour, a disgrace to the fair sex. If the threatened violence against a man then the reaction should have been the same.

I think that many are not seeing this as a violent action and they should. It was a rape threat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.