Trial by media

Old May 14th 2015, 4:51 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trial by media

There was a security guard stood right next to Mr Arsenal who did nowt Huh ? Why he not say some thing? Or was it not deemed as sexual harassment at the time ?
Old May 14th 2015, 4:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
entrapment?

seriously?

I suppose it's the TV networks fault for employing a female reporter to do a live broadcast , I mean they must have known that this was likely to happen right......?

I'm 100% with Kiwi on this.

The only "entrapment" was some asshole guy thinking it's ok to sexually harass women with this kind of behaviour.

I wish this was just a Canadian thing but it is becoming more and more widespread.
Well I'm with Gozit. The guys made some tasteless comments, if the woman felt sexually harassed she could report it to the police. I don't think the employer, even if it is public sector, should have that kind of control over it's employees off duty actions. As for the TV, they admit on tape it happens regularly, so they are trying to make an example of these guys ON CAMERA and on the internet. It strikes me a digital mob rule.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Excellent comment.

If the TV company is doing a live feed they should take responsibility for what is broadcast, not try to entrap some drunken lads.
Oh, for God's sake get a grip. Entrap? There was a guy holding a camera with "City TV" on it, a microphone, and a reporter standing there. Do you suppose the prat thought "oh, look, I can say something unpleasantly sexist and nobody will ever know?"

That has to be one of the more ridiculous posts that you've ever made.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm with Gozit. The guys made some tasteless comments, if the woman felt sexually harassed she could report it to the police. I don't think the employer, even if it is public sector, should have that kind of control over it's employees off duty actions. As for the TV, they admit on tape it happens regularly, so they are trying to make an example of these guys ON CAMERA and on the internet. It strikes me a digital mob rule.
This. This way of thinking has got to stop. Whether you realise it or not, you are right there in the "boys will be boys camp". "Oh it was just some tasteless comments..."

I suppose women should just be out of public spaces, then they woouldn't entrap sexist men into being forced to be sexist then? We're such honey traps aren't we.

I'm sick of women being targeted by this crap and I'm sick of the apologists for it. It's threatening and demeaning. t's meant to be.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; May 14th 2015 at 5:13 pm.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:08 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

"Trying to entrap some drunken lads"

Oh boys will be boys..you know what boys are like on the alcohol - sometimes they're a bit rapey, sometimes a bit sexual harrassy...but it's just tasteless silliness! SO TIRED OF THE EXCUSES. You have no idea what it's like to be a woman and no idea what how intimidating it is to deal with ****tards like that.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:08 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

And why on earth shouldn't they?

IT IS NOT OKAY TO SHOUT OBSCENE SEXUAL REMARKS AT WOMEN. ANYWHERE. EVER.

Which part of that is it that is unclear to you? You sound very much like you are excusing this oaf's behaviour. It is not excusable. Not by you, not by "oh, he was a bit drunk," not by "oh, he was just being one of the lads," just not.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So let him hire a lawyer and let the legal system work its magic.
In the meantime I hope it serves as a lesson to others.
Does it really matter what I think as I'm not currently unemployed and facing the wrath of the public or having my personal life put under scrutiny.
Will it happen again absolutely but I found out early in my career that people do stupid things when a camera of any description especially TV ones are put in front of them sober or not.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Which part of that is it that is unclear to you? You sound very much like you are excusing this oaf's behaviour. It is not excusable. Not by you, not by "oh, he was a bit drunk," not by "oh, he was just being one of the lads," just not.
Exactly. That attitude, that men get this latitude to be threatening and demeaning to women in public spaces if they're young or drunk or whatever, that attitude has to die. it must die.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:16 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I think what some maybe saying is yes it's very bad what he did. But he may have been too drunk to realise how bad he was to her.

IMO he was drunk yeh, but not too drunk that he can say he did not know what he was doing. He was still standing and walking unaided.

For Entrapment he would have had to have been lying on the ground covered in sick, half awake and the lady crouch down to him with the mic.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:17 pm

you cannot be serious.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:18 pm

i'm getting the feeling that some guy's job is more important to some of you than some woman's dignity.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
i'm getting the feeling that some guy's job is more important to some of you than some woman's dignity.
The firing is not about the guys job, it's about Hydro Ones reputation. They had no choice in the matter really, that's why the thread is about "trial by media" if this was just edited out of all the news broadcasts and not gone viral on the Internet would he be still be gainfully employed?
Old May 14th 2015, 5:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

It's a debate I've been following in a number of formats.

The gentleman who was fired upset me, not just because of his comments about using a dildo, but because he kept referring to it being acceptable in England so she should put up with it here.

What was said and done was clearly stupid and alcohol is not an excuse for stupid behaviour.

The question is what is fitting punishment for the crime? Would a ban from all MLSE facilities and a police caution (in the works) have been enough for this person to rethink their conduct in the future?

It's easy to say he should lose his job and I'm sure Hydro One employs many females who are no doubt uncomfortable with this individual now. But what if this chap has never put a foot wrong before and has several children dependent on him?

The media attention means he will not likely work for a very very long time.

There are lots of ways a lesson can be learned but is the punishment fitting of the crime?

Do we start firing every tradesman who whistles or makes a cat call at a women?

What if a guy pays a girl a compliment?

We are in an era of transition.

Last edited by JamesM; May 14th 2015 at 5:35 pm.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:32 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

While you're eagerly anticipating the next chunk of flamebait, have a quick scan of this old thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...%2450k-845909/
Old May 14th 2015, 5:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Nothing wrong with the reporter calling the guy out on his remarks. He was wrong to make them. However, then using media power to publically shame him, especially in the context (drunk fans leaving a football match) seems vindictive. If she truly felt 'harassed' go to the police. There is legislation to deal with such behaviour.

However, the main point is that the employer should not have the right to control what a minor employee says or does in his time off. He has freedom to speak, no matter how trashy his words are. If he crosses a boundary there are laws to answer to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.