Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Travelling long haul with a baby

Travelling long haul with a baby

Old Dec 16th 2017, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Travelling long haul with a baby

My boy is 7 MO - planning to take a long haul >15 hour flight

Anyone have any experience?

1. Would it be stressful for baby and not a good idea?
2. If I am travelling alone, how can I deal with baby when I need to go to the toilet. I plan to travel economy and premium (MAX!) - the toilets are usually so narrow even when it's just me what are ways I can deal with this?
3. If I don't reserve a seat for baby, is it safe for him and do I need to bring a car seat?
4. Any other tips, warnings , things to consider?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16th 2017, 9:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling long haul with a baby

Originally Posted by jerryhung
My boy is 7 MO - planning to take a long haul >15 hour flight

Anyone have any experience?

1. Would it be stressful for baby and not a good idea?
2. If I am travelling alone, how can I deal with baby when I need to go to the toilet. I plan to travel economy and premium (MAX!) - the toilets are usually so narrow even when it's just me what are ways I can deal with this?
3. If I don't reserve a seat for baby, is it safe for him and do I need to bring a car seat?
4. Any other tips, warnings , things to consider?

Thanks!
I travelled with my son from Hong Kong to various places when he was very young (from 5 months) but didn't undergo a 15+ hour flight until he was about 18 months. Is there any way you could stop over for a night, breaking the journey into 7-8 hour lengths? I think 15 hours with one so young could be a hell of a strain on you if you are travelling alone.

I have lots of suggestions for a slightly older child, but at 7 months it won't be easy to occupy him for that many hours. When my son was very young, I used to get the bulkhead seat and ask for a sky cot (bassinet), as at least then there's somewhere to change them / put them down for a snooze / let them play safely! I've also bought a baby-size sleeping bag and put him on the floor before, lol.

You may want to check with the airline about using a car seat as quite a few don't allow it - and if you were intending on bringing it to Canada, it may not be certified for use here anyway. If you are concerned about visiting the toilet/washroom, perhaps a front baby sling would be a way of keeping him with you - or you could be lucky and have a nice flight host(ess) who will hold your little one. I was once on a flight where my son flew first class with the stewardess, lol.

Do check with the airline as to what facilities/amenities they offer when travelling with a baby - some provide a bag with nappies etc., baby food and toys.

Take lots of wet wipes, nappies and a spare change of clothes for both of you (nothing worse than sitting in pukey clothes)!

I'm sure others who have done similar trips with babies will be along to offer suggestions..

Best of luck!

Edited to add - there's some suggestions for sleep solutions (equipment) here: https://www.bebevoyage.com/flying-beds-kids/

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 17th 2017 at 5:32 am.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 2:58 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

We took a night flight from LHR > MNL (about 14hrs) with my Son at 9 months in 1995 and it was hell back then.

Nowadays you have technology to keep them occupied (depending on their age of course)
Old Dec 17th 2017, 2:44 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You should aim to get the bulkhead seat and the airline will supply you with a bassinet for the baby to sleep. The washrooms have more than enough room to do diaper changes and have diaper tables. Not a major issue if you have to leave the LO alone for a few minutes...he won't be going anywhere! Actually, small babies are much easier to travel long-haul with than small children (who get incredibly bored).
Old Dec 17th 2017, 5:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You should aim to get the bulkhead seat
Many carriers charge extra for a bulkhead seat now.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 6:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
This website has some useful info on bulkhead/bassinet seats.

The Ultimate Guide to Airline Baby Bassinets

Edited to add, there's some useful info on travelling with babies here: https://www.flyingwithababy.com/category/in-flight/

:

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 17th 2017 at 6:43 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Pit him up for adoption and get a new one once you get here.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do.

We paid extra for bulkhead seats as I have long legs... So we board the plane and what do we find? A young woman with her baby occupying the other seat. I got to have a sky cot "on my lap" for the whole flight! So effectively we paid more to be worse off.

On the positive side, because I am nice, when the Mum needed to go to the bathroom I took care of the baby...
Old Dec 18th 2017, 3:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

One recent fad I'm a bit on is when new parents hand out "sorry in advance" packs to adjacent travellers with a little cutesy note about junior, some candy and some ear plugs...it's just a bit OTT IMO.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 3:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Yes they do.

We paid extra for bulkhead seats as I have long legs... So we board the plane and what do we find? A young woman with her baby occupying the other seat. I got to have a sky cot "on my lap" for the whole flight! So effectively we paid more to be worse off.

On the positive side, because I am nice, when the Mum needed to go to the bathroom I took care of the baby...
Fly club, far more civilised.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 3:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Fly club, far more civilised.
Your fellow club pax tend to look at you a bit askance when you board with a small person in tow. Not that there is any reason that if you have the coin you shouldn't fly with kids in club.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 4:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do.

What did you do with the corpse?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 4:45 pm
Banned

Yes they do.

Wouldn't the emergency exit seats give you more legroom?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Your fellow club pax tend to look at you a bit askance when you board with a small person in tow. Not that there is any reason that if you have the coin you shouldn't fly with kids in club.
I was thinking more the people needing extra leg room than those with kids in tow.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Wouldn't the emergency exit seats give you more legroom?
Possibly and we have had those seats before. I'm not sure why we had the bulkhead. Maybe the emergency exits were all booked up... can't remember. Anyway the only response we got from Air Transat was along the lines of "so..?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.