Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Transfer from VHS tapes (or play them)

Transfer from VHS tapes (or play them)

Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:42 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer from VHS tapes (or play them)

It sounds like you're already there, but I'd emphasise the point others have made that it'd be a waste of time, effort and money looking to find a TV/VCR/converter combo that works, Bristol.

The adapter to get the VCR signal into your PC is a much better option - there are all sorts of codecs available (there may even be an appropriate one built into one of the media players you already have on your computer) that will decode PAL-format video. Once you've done that you can store your content on your PC and stream it to any connected device on your network. And throw out the VCR and tapes when you're done....
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if the VCRs don't work I can turn by hand.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My transformer is only $11 (free delivery too) thanks to dave_j and the gadget is $39 all in, so $50 isn't much to risk...
Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It sounds like you're already there...adapter to get the VCR signal into your PC...all sorts of codecs available...that will decode PAL-format video. Once you've done that you can store your content on your PC...And throw out the VCR and tapes when you're done....
Update.
The transformer for $11 was too good to be true. By the time it never arrived Amazon showed scores of people being let down. I filed my claim and the refund was settled literally within a couple of minutes.

I ordered a replacement and it arrived today.

I tried one VCR and it all works nicely. Even the batteries in the remote for the last 13 years were in good condition

I installed the video capture thing on my older laptop and connected up.

Unfortunately the output of both VCRs is by Scart. There are 2 outs for left and right audio and with that I was able hear the audio through the computer, but I will now need a Scart adapter with the necessary connections to the gadget.

I've ordered that but it's going to take another 4weeks to arrive.

The bits of audio I heard included the wonderfully funny Steven Wright and former England captain Will Carling getting understandably irritated with Mr Blobby