British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Trainspotters in Calgary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/trainspotters-calgary-443505/)

Steve&Tanya Apr 19th 2007 10:23 pm

Trainspotters in Calgary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all.

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday as I was waiting at the gates at 162nd AV crossing :ohmy:

Two guys armed with cameras taking pictures of the C-trains passing by! They were still there 30 minutes later as I drove back.

Who the hell gave these guys a visa, I can't believe they can be Canadians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My own take on train spotting is that after working on BR for 14 years, I spent my time getting out the way of the stinky things. I can understand admiring a steam train like the Royal Canadian, but a C train!

Steve

MCrocker Apr 19th 2007 10:34 pm

Re: Trainspotters in Calgary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya (Post 4669914)
Hi all.

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday as I was waiting at the gates at 162nd AV crossing :ohmy:

Two guys armed with cameras taking pictures of the C-trains passing by! They were still there 30 minutes later as I drove back.

Who the hell gave these guys a visa, I can't believe they can be Canadians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My own take on train spotting is that after working on BR for 14 years, I spent my time getting out the way of the stinky things. I can understand admiring a steam train like the Royal Canadian, but a C train!

Steve

That's not a train it's a German bus on rails......

Actually watching mile long trains crawling and snaking their way through the Rockies can be rather pleasant......:o

Atlantic Xpat Apr 19th 2007 11:05 pm

What's a train?;)

(Nearest one to me is across the straits in Labrador. None on the island for decades.)

Robin (The Gadget family) Apr 19th 2007 11:11 pm

Bet they don't have real ale trains in Canada, my OH is loving his monthly session on a steam train with the Mid-Hants railway. Guess he will miss those. :blink: Don't think he's a closet TS, unless he's hiding it under the cloak of ale. :eek:

Steve_P Apr 19th 2007 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 4670225)
Bet they don't have real ale trains in Canada

Some would argue we don't even have real ale so what would be the point in having a train for it. :p:rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is spoken by one who left England at 16, so never acquired a taste for real ale and most likely wouldn't recognise it if I fell in a vat of it.

Never have liked the taste of Canadian beer either. :p:eek:

ann m Apr 20th 2007 8:18 am

When you get stuck at a crossing, do you find yourself counting the carriages? It's hypnotic and I just can't help myself ! :p

It's the sheer number that amazes the kids ... (not me, of course)

Suzyanne Apr 20th 2007 1:14 pm

Hi all.

Steve

Was it Butch?

ann m Apr 20th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Suzyanne (Post 4672516)
Was it Butch?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ooh - you're gonna suffer for that one

run away .....

MCrocker Apr 20th 2007 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 4671362)
When you get stuck at a crossing, do you find yourself counting the carriages? It's hypnotic and I just can't help myself ! :p

114 is the most we have counted so far.....whoops, can't believe I confessed to that!

Actually some of the graffiti on the wagons is really cool:unsure:

Mountain Girl Apr 20th 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 4671362)

Yes I have to admit to that one too :o :) . Most I ever counted was 149 carriages.

rwin Apr 20th 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by smelly (Post 4673394)
Yes I have to admit to that one too :o :) . Most I ever counted was 149 carriages.

You mean Cars :p

Suzyanne Apr 20th 2007 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 4672671)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ooh - you're gonna suffer for that one

run away .....

I know! I know! Just on a crazy high after having meds today, I hope Butch will forgive my tongue in cheek dig
Steven

Steve_P Apr 20th 2007 5:59 pm

Hi all.

Perhaps they were taking video and still shots for either a movie or some sort of advertising campaign. ;)

However there are "Rail Fans" world wide here's a link to the Railfan.net archive of rail shots taken from the Usenet newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.rail :)

Cheers
Steve

Butch Cassidy Apr 20th 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Suzyanne (Post 4673791)
I know! I know! Just on a crazy high after having meds today, I hope Butch will forgive my tongue in cheek dig
Steven

If'twernt fur fact tha's frum lancashur, tha'd bi gerin tha eid slapped. :frown:

printer Apr 20th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4674617)
If'twernt fur fact tha's frum lancashur, tha'd bi gerin tha eid slapped. :frown:

Hi Butch, how many have you spotted today then. :lol: