Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Traditional Canadian food

Traditional Canadian food

Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Traditional Canadian food

Originally Posted by Vikty
What can I cook other than poutine, to feel all Canadian and homely. What are traditional Canadian meals? I tried google but for once google didn't know!
Back bacon, split pea soup, and muffins. Look at all of the porkies around if you do not believe me.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:42 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

They were OK, soft things but interesting to look at. I couldn't really describe what they tasted like as they were served in a salad, made by our hosts, with other things like olives, feta cheese and an oily dressing already applied.

We found some baby ones growing near a river a few days ago which we are hoping to harvest whenever they're big enough. I will eat some and let you know what I think. I might even do an informative thread, with photos, all about them.

Originally Posted by fledermaus
And did they?? I think they look yucky and someone told me that they give you bellyache if not cooked properly so that seemed a good reason not to try them.
Did you like them??
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:48 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greenhill
They were OK, soft things but interesting to look at. I couldn't really describe what they tasted like as they were served in a salad, made by our hosts, with other things like olives, feta cheese and an oily dressing already applied.

We found some baby ones growing near a river a few days ago which we are hoping to harvest whenever they're big enough. I will eat some and let you know what I think. I might even do an informative thread, with photos, all about them.
OK! but based on what I've just read that seems a little brave. I look forward to reading all about it. You could do a guest post on my blog if you liked.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice

Thanks everyone. So far I've had a few slow cooked meals (I loved slow cooked meals in the UK though) today I had fiddleheads sauteed with prawns and garlic with potato salad and a side salad (that seemed Canadian to me)

Yesterday we had sloppy joes, fries and onion rings (not sure if thats Canadian or American though) That was the only meal that wasn't BE inspired though.

Can't wait for summer so I can cook some BBQ salmon I don't know what cedar planked salmon is, I'd google it but I think Aviator and Auld Yin are getting commision from google (and using the BE site to do it! )
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnh009
Back bacon, split pea soup, and muffins. Look at all of the porkies around if you do not believe me.
I'm going to give split pea soup a miss
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I dunno Lychee, I think that most of those foods are universal in Canada, except maybe the Salmon and other seafood along the coasts.
They are universal across Canada, but I think that they would be considered the "traditional" or common dish of that particular province. Ask an Albertan what traditional Albertan food is and the answer will be "beef". Even though beef is all over Canada, Alberta's famous for its beef. There's a whole beef culture in Alberta unseen elsewhere in Canada. That's all. There was an article about this a few weeks ago where Canadians were asked to name the food that represented their region. Alberta was beef, BC was salmon, Ontario was apples I believe!!!

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 9th 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

It's delicious so you would be missing out on a good thing. Even the canned variety is ok. (Habitant). I don't see it as Canadian though as we used to eat this often at home.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:54 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's delicious so you would be missing out on a good thing. Even the canned variety is ok. (Habitant). I don't see it as Canadian though as we used to eat this often at home.
My MIL makes and bottles her own baked beans. She only does it once a year because the recipe takes days. I had my first taste of them a few days ago. Man, they were good!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:59 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what cedar planked salmon is,

Most, if not all, supermarkets sell cedar planks with instructions as to how to use them. Not Googled, BTW
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:13 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
My MIL makes and bottles her own baked beans. She only does it once a year because the recipe takes days. I had my first taste of them a few days ago. Man, they were good!!!!!!!!
That's defo a French Canadian thing - our friends do likewise yummm. They also make delish maple butter
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

you are missing out then!

Split pea soup is delish, especially if you use ham stock to make it.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:22 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
you are missing out then!

Split pea soup is delish, especially if you use ham stock to make it.

love split pea and ham - i'm starving now
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dollface
love split pea and ham - i'm starving now
It's good made with cottage roll. Now that's Canadian innit.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a tv programme that some bald English bloke was eating seal flipper pie and said it was very Canadian. This must have been a joke, as you wouldn't move to somewhere that does that but then claim its all for the good of your kids.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:41 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I saw a tv programme that some bald English bloke was eating seal flipper pie and said it was very Canadian. This must have been a joke, as you wouldn't move to somewhere that does that but then claim its all for the good of your kids.
I disagree. Clubbing your own seal is the kind of outdoors activity you don't get in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.