Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Total knee replacement

Wikiposts

Total knee replacement

Old Dec 2nd 2014, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Total knee replacement

I'm in hospital having had this done yesterday, I am in agony and I have to wait until 10 (2 hrs) for more tramadol, I am only 50......anyone else had a joint replacement and how is it in the cold of Canada? Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 7:38 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total knee replacement

I haven't had one but I've xrayed plenty of them. Most are pretty nimble on their new knees.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 6:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I'm in hospital having had this done yesterday, I am in agony and I have to wait until 10 (2 hrs) for more tramadol, I am only 50......anyone else had a joint replacement and how is it in the cold of Canada? Thanks
Hope you are in less pain now, Yorkie! Ouch! Long time to wait for pain relief.

I know several people with both knees replaced, it doesn't seem to make any difference (the weather, that is!).

Old Dec 2nd 2014, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, I hit a pain score of 10 yesterday, I waited another hour and tried to get up to see the nurses instead of calling them on the bell, got to the door on my sticks, couldn't turn around had to go another 5 yards to be seen and collapsed in agony. Iromorf, tramadol and some other pills, then tucked up in bed sobbing until I fell asleep, I'm now going for every pain killer offered. I know they took the top and bottom of my bones off, yesterday i knew what it felt like without pain control.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:09 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

One of my colleagues (in the UK) has just had her second hip replacement. She's nowhere near 50.

She is now also a Tramadol addict.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 12:38 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Get well soon and tell them to give you a puff of that good Chinese black opium; tramadol doesn't sound adequate for post-op pain. How much are they giving you? I usually get morphine or percoset or T3's. Coming down off a few days of morphine can cause nightmares but I only had that much once, they normaly step it down within a day (here anyway).
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:11 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh very best of everything Yorkie. Pain is such a terrible feeling, it can make you feel truly desperate. I had a bad accident some years ago, that required me to have a new joint formed and put into the base of my thumb. It was an extremely painful procedure, done in a wonderful hospital in France (who was not stingy with its drug supply). Nowadays I have to look carefully to see the scar, which was hidden in my wrist joint to remember which hand it was. It never hurts here in the cold.

I 'liked' the opium induced nightmares, they were sooo realistic!

Five years ago I broke my ankle, and that often throbs in the cold and damp. Do breaks perhaps cause more long term pain that surgical procedures perhaps?

I wish you a very speedy recovery.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I fractured my leg many years ago (well actually I got it fractured for me - from a client with severe mental health issues)

Sometimes in the cold it hurts but usually only when I am overtired. The trick is to keep it warm. An extra layer under your jeans (tights if you're a girl helps)

Hope the pain starts to go down very soon for you. Take it easy.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:51 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, I hit a pain score of 10 yesterday, I waited another hour and tried to get up to see the nurses instead of calling them on the bell, got to the door on my sticks, couldn't turn around had to go another 5 yards to be seen and collapsed in agony. Iromorf, tramadol and some other pills, then tucked up in bed sobbing until I fell asleep, I'm now going for every pain killer offered. I know they took the top and bottom of my bones off, yesterday i knew what it felt like without pain control.
The very best to you and your recovery. Can you get someone to slip you a small bottle of brandy? It is Christmas after all.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:36 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch , hope you feel better soon! I have my ortho appt tomorrow, to see what's going on with my knee
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Ouch , hope you feel better soon! I have my ortho appt tomorrow, to see what's going on with my knee
Good luck with that.

I know my op was necessary if I am to have a normal life as I was restricted to 300 to 400 metres tops and holidays shopping walking into town have been severely restricted.

To everyone that left good wishes, thank you all. I should be home today, if I can crack going up and down stairs. Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Use crutches for a bit, you'll be fine - no tap dancing or football for 6 weeks.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had it done but will need to one day due to arthritis. My mother had both of hers done and she said it was agonizing (she doesn't have a particularly high pain threshold though). Actually, she needs one of them done again She said that when she was in hospital after the surgery there were a couple of people there who had both done at the same time but her surgeon refused to do that so she went through the ordeal twice (I have always found it strange that a hip replacement is apparently much less painful despite it being a larger joint).

She has never mentioned the cold bothering her knees though so I don't think that will be an issue for you.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Should put a smile on your face, made me laugh!
Attached Thumbnails Total knee replacement-image.jpg  
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Should put a smile on your face, made me laugh!
Impressive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.