Toronto's beer halls

Old Feb 14th 2024, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toronto's beer halls

A vivid memory of mine from my days in Toronto in the 1960s is the beer halls. On my first visit with my new work-colleagues, we sat around a table and a girl came with our orders. So far, so normal. It was a big room filled with tables - girls shuttling around, two or three men standing and leaning on the walls. After a while I stood up, glass in hand, to move to another of our group's tables, only to be grabbed roughly and pulled down by the chap sitting next to me.

Whoa! What was that all about? He explained. "The minute you stood up, one of the bouncers came off the wall," he said. "You can't walk with a glass in your hand, here." He called one of the girls over, and she carried my glass to the other table, while I meekly followed.

Do they still do that?
Old Feb 14th 2024, 2:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto's beer halls

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
A vivid memory of mine from my days in Toronto in the 1960s is the beer halls. On my first visit with my new work-colleagues, we sat around a table and a girl came with our orders. So far, so normal. It was a big room filled with tables - girls shuttling around, two or three men standing and leaning on the walls. After a while I stood up, glass in hand, to move to another of our group's tables, only to be grabbed roughly and pulled down by the chap sitting next to me.

Whoa! What was that all about? He explained. "The minute you stood up, one of the bouncers came off the wall," he said. "You can't walk with a glass in your hand, here." He called one of the girls over, and she carried my glass to the other table, while I meekly followed.

Do they still do that?
No.

Other rules that have been relaxed recently:

- beer is now available in servings greater than 4oz. The waiter no longer leaves each customer 10 little glasses when a beer is ordered.

- beer can be purchased without food, customers no longer have to buy the same plate of chips as all the other customers.

Old Feb 14th 2024, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No.

- beer can be purchased without food, customers no longer have to buy the same plate of chips as all the other customers.
round my way, it was an order of garlic bread.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Another silly law at the time was "no drinking alcohol in public". I knew some lads who got in trouble for drinking out of beer-bottles while sitting on the window sills of their two-story flat, overlooking the street. I can't remember if they were arrested or just warned by the coppers.

How about that one dbd33?
Old Feb 16th 2024, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully as good as the Music!
Old Feb 17th 2024, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

In my youth in Queensland, Sunday boozing was strict. Well, sort of... Only bona fides travellers were allowed to be served alcohol, and a bona fides traveller was someone who had driven at least forty miles. Huh. Any fool could have predicted what happened. The roads were packed with men and boys who had driven 40 miles from home, got themselves plastered, and were driving drunkenly home!