Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Toronto - what should I do/see?

Toronto - what should I do/see?

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:55 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toronto - what should I do/see?

Hi

I am in Toronto for work next week, I think I may have a free afternoon on Wednesday, so have a few hours to do what I like!

As this is my first trip to Toronto, is there anything you recommend I should see or do , in the very short time I have? Would like to make the most of it

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:04 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto - what should I do/see?

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

I am in Toronto for work next week, I think I may have a free afternoon on Wednesday, so have a few hours to do what I like!

As this is my first trip to Toronto, is there anything you recommend I should see or do , in the very short time I have? Would like to make the most of it

Thanks
Hi Nikki, what are your interests? shopping? museums? CN tower visit?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:08 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
It is playoff time so you can't go and see any hockey.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:13 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is playoff time so you can't go and see any hockey.
Go Sens Go!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:15 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Hi Nikki, what are your interests? shopping? museums? CN tower visit?
Shopping, although limited/$0 budget so not much fun lol!, was thinking CN Tower, not really into museums a such, outdoor areas I like,
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:17 am

also, any good restaurant recommendations? work is paying
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:24 am

well the Eaton Centre and Queen St if you're downtown looking for shopping. The Beaches is a nice area, boardwalk, nice wee shops and restaurants etc if you want to jump on a tram or taxi.
Also the Harbourfront is nice for a stroll, nice Italian res. there overlooking the lake (can't recall it's name, great carbonara).

Good fine dining rest. dotted all over.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I like, La Maquette (French), Papillon(French), the Tulip(diner), Barbecue Hut(Indian), Madras Dosa(Indian), Nevada(American-French) the Carousel(stand up bacon sandwich bar), Dufflet(cake shop). I suggest that Captain John's ( a restaurant in a boat) and the Beer Bistro are the worst clip joints in the city.

I wouldn't bother with the CNN Tower, from up there you can see a bleak landscape of unattractive suburbs and lots of lake. It's worth going with children, for the glass floor, but I'd say that's it. I might risk going to the Island though it'll be chilly on the ferry. If you want outdoors then the Queen car to Woodbine (ask the driver to call out when you get to Woodbine), walk south, take the boardwalk east along the lake as far as you care to, then walk up to Queen for lots of restaurants and bars.

Allen Gardens is a very Toronto place, a greenhouse of cacti surrounded by homeless people and gay dog walkers. Since it's the afternoon, you could also go to the St. Lawrence market and buy whatever food you can't get in the east. And then for visions you don't get at home, there's Church St. from about Gerrard to Bloor.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 23rd 2010 at 12:37 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:00 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like, La Maquette (French), Papillon(French), the Tulip(diner), Barbecue Hut(Indian), Madras Dosa(Indian), Nevada(American-French) the Carousel(stand up bacon sandwich bar), Dufflet(cake shop). I suggest that Captain John's ( a restaurant in a boat) and the Beer Bistro are the worst clip joints in the city.

I wouldn't bother with the CNN Tower, from up there you can see a bleak landscape of unattractive suburbs and lots of lake. It's worth going with children, for the glass floor, but I'd say that's it. I might risk going to the Island though it'll be chilly on the ferry. If you want outdoors then the Queen car to Woodbine (ask the driver to call out when you get to Woodbine), walk south, take the boardwalk east along the lake as far as you care to, then walk up to Queen for lots of restaurants and bars.

Allen Gardens is a very Toronto place, a greenhouse of cacti surrounded by homeless people and gay dog walkers. Since it's the afternoon, you could also go to the St. Lawrence market and buy whatever food you can't get in the east. And then for visions you don't get at home, there's Church St. from about Gerrard to Bloor.
Excellent recommendations. If you do ride the TTC (Queen car) and the driver is slightly rude don't be offended- the TTC is very open about their total disdain of the public. Their treatment is fairly consistant.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Excellent recommendations. If you do ride the TTC (Queen car) and the driver is slightly rude don't be offended- the TTC is very open about their total disdain of the public. Their treatment is fairly consistant.
I've just been mocked electronically, as follows:

"Ha! You have definately been away from civilisation too long. The streetcar announcements are automated, doncha know?"

Oh.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've just been mocked electronically, as follows:

"Ha! You have definately been away from civilisation too long. The streetcar announcements are automated, doncha know?"

Oh.
surely not for the first time?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

I suppose you have no shortage of animals in whatever rustic place you live in, but, if time is short, you could do worse than to take the Carlton car to Parliament, walk a block north and then east and wander through the very attractive houses to the Riverdale zoo (a sort of urban recreation of a farm). It'd be more about gawking at the houses, Victorian and recreations thereof, than seeing a couple of cart horses and some chickens but it's very pleasant.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

surely not for the first time?
Thrice daily, as a rule.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

well the Eaton Centre and Queen St if you're downtown looking for shopping. The Beaches is a nice area, boardwalk, nice wee shops and restaurants etc if you want to jump on a tram or taxi.
Also the Harbourfront is nice for a stroll, nice Italian res. there overlooking the lake (can't recall it's name, great carbonara).

Good fine dining rest. dotted all over.
Il Fornello
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Il Fornello
That's it!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.