Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Toronto accomodation - end June

Toronto accomodation - end June

Old Feb 17th 2020, 5:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toronto accomodation - end June

Mrs AX and #1 daughter are considering visiting Toronto towards the end of June for a few days. Primary purpose is to attend a concert but also for a bit of mother daughter bonding / shopping /eating. #1 daughter is 11. Any suggestions / recommendations on reasonably priced (and safe/clean/decent) hotel accomodation along with things to do?

TIA
AX
Old Feb 17th 2020, 5:42 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto accomodation - end June

One suggestion I do have is not to use AirBnB for getting something in one of the many condo towers downtown. Why not? Many of the condo's have a no AirBnB policy, and some have encountered problems when turning up to the concierge desk to pick up keys. There's also been a few big fights / shootings (jarvis street was one of the more recent ones) at condo units rented out on airbnb as "party houses".

If you know anyone who lives in one of the condo buildings, then you could ask if there are guest suites available, they tend to be rather nice, and reasonably priced.

There's a couple of Marriot hotels in Toronto, one being connected to the Rogers Center, which is handy for a baseball game if that's something of interest.

As for what to do, Aforementioned baseball game, Ripley's Aquarium, CN Tower (those three are in very, very close proximity to each other), Eaton Centre for shopping. ROM (Royal Ontario Museum), Perhaps pop over to Toronto Island if the weather is nice. Wayne Gretzy's bar, Hockey Hall of Fame.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 8:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

See what the prices are like at the Grand Hotel. It's grand but on a "frighten the tourists" corner (not that frightening, it's where my kids went to school). If one is willing to work the first block briskly that might offer bargains. The unlimited funds choice is the King Eddy (I once had occasion to spend the night there and, oh my, that's a nice hotel). I stay at the Novotel, it's serviceable, well located, not ruinous.

They must, of course, go to the St. Lawrence Market (food) and the Kensington one (clothes, bric-a-brac). I'd visit the conservatory in Allan Gardens. the Necropolis and the adjacent zoo but no everyone would. There's also a mall, if they're people who like malls.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 9:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
One suggestion I do have is not to use AirBnB for getting something in one of the many condo towers downtown. Why not? Many of the condo's have a no AirBnB policy, and some have encountered problems when turning up to the concierge desk to pick up keys. There's also been a few big fights / shootings (jarvis street was one of the more recent ones) at condo units rented out on airbnb as "party houses".
Wouldn't you know if you were going to have a party and invite people with guns? I don't know where the Ax family stands on that sort of thing but I don't think they need worry that they'd do it by accident. As far as the keys go, lamp posts in Toronto are festooned with lockboxes for keys; that must be a workable arrangement.