Tomato wine

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tomato wine

Anyone try the tomato wine as featured in Michael Portillo's Canadian railway journeys?

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tomato wine

Not tried that one, I have however tried Lang Vineyard's Maple Wine. Not too shabby even if it's a bit pandering to tourists :P

May have to watch that Michael Portillo program though! It's funny because I always think the railways in Canada are pretty lacking compared to Europe, but I guess it's a different kind of experience.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

well, how many trains in Europe take 3 nights and 4 days to complete their journey??

How many trains in Europe (apart from the pure touristy ones) usually serve meals of 3 star wuality, and often of 4 star quality?

definitely a very different type of experience!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
well, how many trains in Europe take 3 nights and 4 days to complete their journey??

How many trains in Europe (apart from the pure touristy ones) usually serve meals of 3 star wuality, and often of 4 star quality?

definitely a very different type of experience!!!
True, I do hope to take the Rocky Mountaineer at some point as I've heard it's a wonderful experience, like taking a cruise.

However there is no denying that compared to Europe and other parts of the world there are far fewer stations and routes, the trains are slower and do not run very frequently. It isn't possible to even take a train from Vancouver to Calgary for example. In terms of practicality and use as an actual tool to travel from A to B, the passenger rail system in Canada is far less comprehensive. At least we have the Skytrain system in Vancouver which is decent though and always expanding!

That being said, there is certainly value in taking the train as a vacation or pleasure activity, and you make some good points about the quality of the experience and service on board, which I didn't consider in my last post. It is a great way of seeing more of Canada, it seems like that TV show is capturing that side of things.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jan 23rd 2019 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
True, I do hope to take the Rocky Mountaineer at some point as I've heard it's a wonderful experience, like taking a cruise.

However there is no denying that compared to Europe and other parts of the world there are far fewer stations and routes, the trains are slower and do not run very frequently. It isn't possible to even take a train from Vancouver to Calgary for example. In terms of practicality and use as an actual tool to travel from A to B, the passenger rail system in Canada is far less comprehensive. At least we have the Skytrain system in Vancouver which is decent though and always expanding!

That being said, there is certainly value in taking the train as a vacation or pleasure activity, and you make some good points about the quality of the experience and service on board, which I didn't consider in my last post. It is a great way of seeing more of Canada, it seems like that TV show is capturing that side of things.

Reason .................. think of the population of Europe, and the small distances between say Paris and Berlin. Compare that with the population of Canada and the distance between Vancouver and Calgary or Winnipeg and Toronto.

Trains in the Toronto-Ottawa-Corridor rival almost anything in Europe, but again think fo the distances and population in that small area.

Transit companies want to make money!

As for the Rocky Mountaineer ............. having taken that and regularly using the VIA trains from Vancouver to Halifax, I much prefer VIA.

Rocky Mountaineer is marketed to the tourist market, meals are rather on the pretentious side ...... and you have to take Gold Leaf service to get the full experience of sitting in a dome. Plus you have to pay for your own hotel(s) as the train stops overnight, you also pay for your own evening meal or for the evening entertainment set up by RM for their clients.

It was VIA I was referring to in my previous post. There is nothing to compare with the cruise feeling, combined with the other passenger contacts made in the Bar Car or the Dome Car of VIA. I found nothing to compare with that when we did the Gold Leaf service on RM.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tomato wine anyone?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Tomato wine anyone?
Not unless a Bloody Mary counts.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I used to have one every Christmas morning - ice, tomato juice and vodka... a dash of lee and perrins, a large squeeze of lemon.. a smidgen of celery salt and a grind of pepper - no Tabasco for me though. Perfection
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I used to have one every Christmas morning - ice, tomato juice and vodka... a dash of lee and perrins, a large squeeze of lemon.. a smidgen of celery salt and a grind of pepper - no Tabasco for me though. Perfection
Yum! I like about 2 drops of tabasco in mine. They're my 'before I fly' drink, and sometimes my 'while I'm flying' one as well
Old Jan 24th 2019, 3:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Tomato wine anyone?
The word on the web is it's a lot like white grape wine with a slight tomato finish. If someone gave me a glass I'd try it. There are quite a few recipes out there. However, now I want a Bloody Mary. I've had my share of Caesars over the years but haven't had a vodka and tomato for ages.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 4:48 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yum! I like about 2 drops of tabasco in mine. They're my 'before I fly' drink, and sometimes my 'while I'm flying' one as well
Originally Posted by caretaker
The word on the web is it's a lot like white grape wine with a slight tomato finish. If someone gave me a glass I'd try it. There are quite a few recipes out there. However, now I want a Bloody Mary. I've had my share of Caesars over the years but haven't had a vodka and tomato for ages.
I am of the opinion that the Bloody Mary is one of those 'cyclic' drinks that drops off the radar for months, indeed years at a time.

Strangely I have been back 'in sync' for the last 10 days or so, first time in a couple of years.

With Tabasco, Lee and Perrins, a squeeze of lemon or lime, sea salt if in stock, table salt if not.

Your good health!

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jan 24th 2019 at 6:10 pm. Reason: There should have been two 'ff's in off to start with.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I like tomatoes (raw) I can't think of anything worse that tomato wine.

Portillo's railway journeys look good though. Have seen Vancouver and Calgary so far.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 5:46 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I like lager.