Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Time for another wine thread

Time for another wine thread

Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for another wine thread

Just had a flashback of drinking something called Hirondelle back in the early 70s too.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

In the end, when you really know how to appreciate fine wine, you discover Sauternes which are some of the most intense, complex and expensive wines ever made.
Well put. I wanted to buy FIL a case of Chateau Myrat, but I could only afford one bottle.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just had a flashback of drinking something called Hirondelle back in the early 70s too.
Very difficult to Swallow that one.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In a cafe in Montreal one morning I saw an old geezer with Van Dyke beard and beret enjoying a glass of red with his breakfast bacon and eggs. I'll do it, but not at the same time as I'm drinking coffee. I'll put the coffee on now and get that out of the way.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 1:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Very difficult to Swallow that one.
If I'd not previously googled to check the name I wouldn't have "got" that one.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
...a glass of red with his breakfast bacon and eggs...
Probably Ribena.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think I bought Black Tower because I liked the bottles, but don't want it or Blue Nun now.The advertising business got wise and wines became popular by virtue of being drinkable and having a catchy ad Piat d'Or sold an ocean of wine by giving the illusion that drinking it would somehow make you worldly, the same way Novo's chianti in a basket made him hip and my Mateus showed I was clued in the same way, empties with candles stuck in them offering mute testimony to our hipness. Hirondelle had good ads.
Attached Thumbnails Time for another wine thread-uu166.jpg  
Old Dec 7th 2015, 7:27 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

My recent 4L box of Bodacious Red was surprisingly good; I bought it at an introductory offer and now it's up to full price I'm thinking hard about whether it's worth it.

Had some nice aussie white last night too.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 8:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
My recent 4L box of Bodacious Red was surprisingly good; I bought it at an introductory offer and now it's up to full price I'm thinking hard about whether it's worth it.
Had some nice aussie white last night too.
I've had a few bottles of Bodacious and think it's ok for the price but like the blended Unreserved and others like Skinny Girl the character of the wine is kind of hard to pin down. Bodacious is a bit sweet as well which adds a few points of mass appeal and probably facilitates pairing with a wider variety of dishes than wines with a more sharply defined terroire. [snickers into his G&T]
Old Dec 7th 2015, 8:43 pm
Born again atheist

Piat d'Or sold an ocean of wine by giving the illusion that drinking it would somehow make you worldly, the same way Novo's chianti in a basket made him hip and my Mateus showed I was clued in the same way, empties with candles stuck in them offering mute testimony to our hipness. Hirondelle had good ads.
Excuse me? I do remember that UK hippies back in the sixties stuck candles in their empty Mateus Rose bottles, but I can't imagine that they didn't pour the contents down the drain first.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 8:48 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I have a candle in a maggi sauce bottle, because I'm so hip, I like totally get irony in like an ironic way. Innit.

The Bodacious surprised me because I've always avoided "girls night out" and shite like that til now.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 10:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I have a candle in a maggi sauce bottle, because I'm so hip, I like totally get irony in like an ironic way. Innit.

The Bodacious surprised me because I've always avoided "girls night out" and shite like that til now.
I like the Maggi bottle, iconic shape and you're first!
A lot of Brits confuse irony with sarcasm. Nothing wrong with these "indie" blended wines, and as I said some of them pair very easily. I think I'll put a bottle of my Wild Goose wine in the fridge and sink it in honour of Harper getting the boot.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 7th 2015 at 10:32 pm. Reason: Like Bats, I want everything to be correct.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 2:48 pm
Proudly Scarberian

I think I'll put a bottle of my Wild Goose wine in the fridge and sink it in honour of Harper getting the boot.
That'll be vintage by now!

I have a bottle of bicentenary bordeaux I got in France in the last eighties for a couple of quid. Screen printed bottle obviously not intended to be "put down".

I dread to think what that'll be like, but I'll keep it just so I can say I've got a personally cellared 30-year old wine in the cabinet.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 3:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

That'll be vintage by now!
I have to check but I think the Chardonnay might be 2010 or 2011, my sister drank my Gewurz and replaced it with a 2012, not amused.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 4:16 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

So you have this dinner party.
You're a pratt so you go out and buy an expensive wine to impress your guests.
Your best friend brings a bottle of crap.
He fills a glass with your expensive red, downs it in one and grimaces.
Was it worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.