Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Time for another wine thread

Time for another wine thread

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for another wine thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
For those folk who live in go-ahead, forward thinking provinces like Quebec and New Brunswick where you can buy wine at the supermarket, things are even better 2 or 3 years in.

More stores involved now but, as well, the supermarkets are now offering some of the same labels as the liquor store whereas originally it was just local stuff or wines from other countries not sold in the liquor stores.

Carry on like this and we'll have full choice in a couple of years.
My usual RCSS has had a beer aisle since last week. The assistant was quite offended when I asked if it was real beer, not the pretendy stuff they had stocked. Still haven't bought any though as that would require me to go to a till with an actual person, with whom I may be forced to interact, rather than my usual self-service.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 11:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
My usual RCSS...
I had to look that up.

If Real Canadian SuperStore is RCSS, how come Atlantic SuperStore isn't ASS?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
My usual RCSS has had a beer aisle since last week. The assistant was quite offended when I asked if it was real beer, not the pretendy stuff they had stocked. Still haven't bought any though as that would require me to go to a till with an actual person, with whom I may be forced to interact, rather than my usual self-service.
You do not want to be in the queue for the till where they can sell beer. I made that mistake on Friday and ended up taking my groceries off the conveyor and loading them back into the cart to go elsewhere. Each beer carrying person has to be interviewed and to produce proof of age, each one objects, the cashier rambles, you need a couple of drinks to pass the time.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the middle of what they call the Lake Erie North Shore Wine Route.
Our house is no more than a couple of kilometers from 4 vineyard/wineries.
Colchester Ridge Estate - North 42 Degrees - Viewpointe Estate - Oxley Estate.
We don't buy wine from anything other than our locals.
Our favorite is Late Autumn Harvest Riesling from Alexsander Estate which is owned by a friend of my wife and her husband and is a little further away, but worth the drive.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...Each beer carrying person has to be interviewed and to produce proof of age....
That's just you. Your reputation precedes you.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's just you. Your reputation precedes you.
Loblaws doesn't sell Pride.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 10:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Happy to report that I had a very nice Hardys Stamp Shiraz-Cabernet tonight.

I was always willing to break my UK rule for Hardys (don't pay less than £5 for white or £6.50 for red) but as with so many other wines over the last few years I lost my taste for it.

I bought a bottle the other day in another attempt to find a cheaper one to make up for paying $25 for Kim Crawford. $11.99 I think.

It was really good. Smooth. Wondering if it's worth reinvestigating the Chardonnay now.