Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tim Horton's as a selling point?!

Wikiposts

Tim Horton's as a selling point?!

Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:53 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tim Horton's as a selling point?!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Ahhh, the coffee snobs. Surely "good" coffee is the type you like. A bit like "good" lager, "good" wine, or "good" art?

Anyway, I never drink the coffee as I can't stand the stuff and my body is a temple and I wouldn't want to place such crap into it I only eat or drink "good" food and liquids.

I wouldn't want to live near a Timmies as the thought of having little alternative but to look at people waddling in and out of it all day would make me sick.

Each to their own though. One good point about living so close is that you wouldn't burn as much fuel in your car as you would if you lived 500 metres further away driving there and back for a coffee each day.
That would be one of those mixed message irony type posts??
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:56 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinsmom65
My days of drinking one or two coffees a day has really diminished here..... just can't afford it. Oh and don't get me started on the price of cigarettes here... time to quit that habit soon as well.

Cheers

Karen
At least your breath will smell better
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Can't stand Timmie's coffee, although the doughnuts are good. Much prefer the real coffee shops that serve proper coffee.

The wife went into one with a friend and asked if they had Cappacino, the girl asked of she wanted vanilla or ... (can't remember the other 'flavour' was), the wife said no, just a normal one, the girl looked at her stupid as if she never heard of it. She couldn't have a normal one as they did not have a tin of that.

What I hate (most) about them is the long, long lines of cars, they queue out into the road blocking traffic, why can't the lazy buggers park up and walk inside.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:50 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF
What I hate (most) about them is the long, long lines of cars, they queue out into the road blocking traffic, why can't the lazy buggers park up and walk inside.
Amazing aren't they?

I have no idea why people would do this at any time but especially on their way to work.

Spend an extra 15 minutes at home make a cup of decent coffee and save a pile of money.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
That would be one of those mixed message irony type posts??
The first line reflects how I feel.

The second line is taking the piss. I stuff all kinds of bad stuff into my mouth each day, although, never coffee. I can't see the attraction.

The third line also reflects how I feel. I wouldn't want to look at people walking in and out of any store and wasn't a particular reflection of the people that walk into Timmies. As we all know, most that buy products at Timmies never leave their vehicles to do so.

The fourth line was intended to be good advice, the closer they live, the less gas they will burn travelling there. See the paragraph above.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The first line reflects how I feel.

The second line is taking the piss. I stuff all kinds of bad stuff into my mouth each day, although, never coffee. I can't see the attraction.

The third line also reflects how I feel. I wouldn't want to look at people walking in and out of any store and wasn't a particular reflection of the people that walk into Timmies. As we all know, most that buy products at Timmies never leave their vehicles to do so.

The fourth line was intended to be good advice, the closer they live, the less gas they will burn travelling there. See the paragraph above.
I won a $100 gift card at Timmies on roll up the rim (on a medium cup of steeped tea on my first ever roll up the rim ) Unfortunately for Tim Horton's the card really showed us how much money we spend there. Not quite as much as some of the other posters but certainly enough to make a slight dent in the yearly budget (it was gone within the month!) Since then I take the time to program the coffee maker every evening so it's ready for us to get up in the morning. One $10 tin lasts about 3 weeks. Much better value!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonofcanadian
Realtor details of a property we were viewing mentioned Tim Horton's was nearby one particularly nice house. I can't see too many Brit estate agents boasting that a house was a few doors down from MacDonalds so could someone explain the cultural phenomonem that is Tim Horton's and is it worth living within smelling distance of one?
Having a Timmies nearby is a handy place to eat when your wife refuses to feed you when you're out of Brownie Points!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

They opened up a Timmies on the ground floor of my building at work. I could not believe the line-ups, and suspect that all the other food offering on campus have taken a severe hit on their income.

It is, however, perfect student fodder - cheap.

Unfortunately, those Honey Cruellers have turned out to be perfect ann m fodder too
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:08 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

There's also a thing on the internet that you can plan journeys around Timmies stops.

We've been known to detour just fro these
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The only good thing about Timmies is that you can sneak in and use the bog without anyone noticing. Useful on road trips.

The coffee is foul.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:21 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet Novo would love to live within easy reach of their ham and cheese and mustard sandwiches.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

I find their coffee bland to be honest. As somebody else mentioned, I find McDonalds coffee far more drinkable. However, their Ice Mocha's in summer are a bit addictive.

I've often wondered about the phenomenon that is T.H.'s & why so many Canadians are happy to sit in a car line to purchase a paper cup of the dubious product that is Tim Hortons coffee? The peak time for lines is often 7.30am onwards when many are going to work. Why, when chances are they have come from home & probably had a pot of coffee brewed, would they want to then line up for a cup of Hortons watery product?

There's always been the blurb about being traditionally Canadian. Until recent times that wasn't actually the case as the parent company were the same lot that owns the Wendys hamburger chain.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

It is a conditioned thing from when they are little and onwards. My sister who came to Canada and never ping ponged like me, is truly Canadian. Her and her hubby have been taking the kids to timmies since they were babies, their eldest was allowed his 1st "double double" - I was doing the whole thing. At least I held my tongue and did not say ..."GET A LIFE"

We have a beautiful coffee bar at home, it makes espressos, cappo's, lattes, has a froffer and makes drip coffee or tea, it grinds the beans when it makes the drinks. I love it to be honest and i have been changing the types of bean i buy till i find the ones I like. It has been fun.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
They opened up a Timmies on the ground floor of my building at work. I could not believe the line-ups, and suspect that all the other food offering on campus have taken a severe hit on their income.

It is, however, perfect student fodder - cheap.

Unfortunately, those Honey Cruellers have turned out to be perfect ann m fodder too
They are very dangerous. More sugar on them than donut, which I'm thinking might be bad for you
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:56 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Originally Posted by Tuppence
They are very dangerous. More sugar on them than donut, which I'm thinking might be bad for you
There's always someone to spoil the fun.

1 Honey Cruller nutritional content: Calories:320, Fat:19g, Protein:1g, Carbs:37g, Fibre:0g, Sugar:23g

Source: Tim Horton's Nutrition Calculator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.