Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tim Horton's as a selling point?!

Tim Horton's as a selling point?!

Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

sonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nicesonofcanadian is just really nice
Default Tim Horton's as a selling point?!

Realtor details of a property we were viewing mentioned Tim Horton's was nearby one particularly nice house. I can't see too many Brit estate agents boasting that a house was a few doors down from MacDonalds so could someone explain the cultural phenomonem that is Tim Horton's and is it worth living within smelling distance of one?
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:40 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tim Horton's as a selling point?!

The realtor sounds desperate...it's just a bloody coffee shop. The big selling point with Tim's is every morning the drive-thru is clogged with impatient commuters waiting to get their paper cup with "Tim Horton's" printed on it. That's it.

McDonald's coffee actually tastes better if you can believe it.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Jul 24th 2010 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:54 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonofcanadian
Realtor details of a property we were viewing mentioned Tim Horton's was nearby one particularly nice house. I can't see too many Brit estate agents boasting that a house was a few doors down from MacDonalds so could someone explain the cultural phenomonem that is Tim Horton's and is it worth living within smelling distance of one?
It's a downside unless you like the prospect of all those fumes from the drive through traffic..
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:00 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonofcanadian
Can't say I've ever seen this done before. Sounds like a desperate attempt to flog the place.

I would not want to live anywhere near any fast food or coffee outlet.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
McDonald's coffee actually tastes better if you can believe it.
McDonalds coffee is always very good, it's actually one of the few places you can get a decent cup of coffee in the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:03 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Can't say I've ever seen this done before. Sounds like a desperate attempt to flog the place.

I would not want to live anywhere near any fast food or coffee outlet.
Who know maybe he is on commission and is trying to populate the area with Timmies cusotmers?
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:28 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Who know maybe he is on commission and is trying to populate the area with Timmies cusotmers?
Given the size of the lineups every time I drive past one it would appear that it may not be that difficult.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Tim Horton's is a past-time here I think. People say" i gonna get a timmie's - want one?" or "going on a timmie's run ...want anything?" It is as commonplace as "would you like fries with that?"

Recently there was a comparative done on Forbes website, comparing the cost of the coffee to the caffeine content to the cup size. Timmies was the most expensive, gave the smallest cup sizes (in ounces) and had the least caffeine (mostly hot water). In this study they looked at Timmie's, Starbucks and Second cup and maybe one other. I think Second Cup was the best value.

We looked at one weeks of spending at timmie's - turns out hubby and I spent around $100 in one week. Each coffee is just under $2 for a decent size - each getting one on the way to work at lunch and on the way home - that was 12 a day. then if we bought for co-workers(like rounds at a bar) that topped it up to around 100. DAYAM!

We have both given up the timmies habit! it is like giving up smoking - hard as hell!

Last edited by reeni; Jul 24th 2010 at 9:46 am.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
McDonalds coffee is always very good, it's actually one of the few places you can get a decent cup of coffee in the UK.
yeugh, McDonals coffee is nasty.

Originally Posted by reeni
Tim Horton's is a past-time here I think. People say" i gonna get a timmie's - want one?" or "going on a timmie's run ...want anything?" It is as commonplace as "would you like fries with that?"

Recently there was a comparative done on Forbes website, comparing the cost of the coffee to the caffeine content to the cup size. Timmies was the most expensive, gave the smallest cup sizes (in ounces) and had the least caffeine (mostly hot water). In this study they looked at Timmie's, Starbucks and Second cup and maybe one other. I think Second Cup was the best value.

We looked at one weeks of spending at timmie's - turns out hubby and I spent around $100 in one week. Each coffee is just under $2 for a decent size - each getting one on the way to work at lunch and on the way home - that was 12 a day. then if we bought for co-workers(like rounds at a bar) that topped it up to around 100. DAYAM!

We have both given up the timmies habit! it is like giving up smoking - hard as hell!
A large cup of Timmies fills two mugs, I get one on my way to work drink part then nuke the rest later on. $1.52. What on earth do you consider a decent size?? 12 extra large coffees per day, that's some pastime.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fledermaus
A large cup of Timmies fills two mugs, I get one on my way to work drink part then nuke the rest later on. $1.52. What on earth do you consider a decent size?? 12 extra large coffees per day, that's some pastime.
lol we always get a x-large( $1.87 ) each time and it takes me thu to lunch then i used to get another which takes to going home time ...then i have one for the long fricking commute in the QEW/403 traffic jam or parking lot as some call it!
...and hubby used to do the same (so multiply all that X 2). and our offices would have timmie's runs thru out the day. that tasty crueller or boston cream ... once or twice a week (yummy!). It can really hit the pocket book was all I was saying. People see timmies as a part of life ...like Air or water (exaggeration but you get the idea). People don't even include it in their budget...yet so many peeps spend a goodly amount there.

Not me anymore lol
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by reeni
lol we always get a x-large( $1.87 ) each time and it takes me thu to lunch then i used to get another which takes to going home time ...then i have one for the long fricking commute in the QEW/403 traffic jam or parking lot as some call it!
...and hubby used to do the same (so multiply all that X 2). and our offices would have timmie's runs thru out the day. that tasty crueller or boston cream ... once or twice a week (yummy!). It can really hit the pocket book was all I was saying. People see timmies as a part of life ...like Air or water (exaggeration but you get the idea). People don't even include it in their budget...yet so many peeps spend a goodly amount there.

Not me anymore lol
wise woman. I never eat anything from there so am saved that $$$$
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

twinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus

Wow... I miss my Timmies.... living in Perth, we only have one drive thru chain called Muzz Buzz.... they charge $5.00 for a regular cappacunio... no drip coffee here in Australia. Even at Maccas (McDonalds) it is $3.85 for a large cappacunio... and that is cheap. My days of drinking one or two coffees a day has really diminished here..... just can't afford it. Oh and don't get me started on the price of cigarettes here... time to quit that habit soon as well.

Cheers

Karen
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:02 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine being persuaded to buy a house that had a Timmies close by. Just the opposite in fact, as Timmies is the kind of place for Canadians who haven't been abroad and realize good coffee exists, or for Brits who were brought up on instant coffee.
Really good coffee is hard to find in Canada, so buy a good coffee machine and good beans and make your own. Fill a large thermos flask for work and save a ton of money.
Timmies, indeed . . .
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, the coffee snobs. Surely "good" coffee is the type you like. A bit like "good" lager, "good" wine, or "good" art?

Anyway, I never drink the coffee as I can't stand the stuff and my body is a temple and I wouldn't want to place such crap into it I only eat or drink "good" food and liquids.

I wouldn't want to live near a Timmies as the thought of having little alternative but to look at people waddling in and out of it all day would make me sick.

Each to their own though. One good point about living so close is that you wouldn't burn as much fuel in your car as you would if you lived 500 metres further away driving there and back for a coffee each day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.