Three Days to Plan B

Old Jan 9th 2019, 10:08 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Days to Plan B

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought France led the way didn't they?
Theoretically, yes, but they often sit on the fence for too long, at which point someone else rips the fence up to add fuel to the bonfires and the holding pattern is re-established.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well we don't appear to have the division currently seen in the UK and USA. Perhaps it's time they removed the united part.
Took a look west, Alberta is getting pretty upset with feds right now. I feel NDP will be out at next election and replaced by what ever the conservative party is called there now. That is only going to ramp up tensions between AB and feds. From what I am seeing Canada is diving into 2 camps, anti and pro resource sector.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 11:01 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

May's deal, technically known as "May's botched deal" is widely expected to be rejected tomorrow evening, in which case Jezza is expected to call a vote of no confidence (in the government, this time). Nobody is sure what stubborn as an ass May will do if defeated, but I'm not the only one hoping she will step aside, and at very least let a new Tory leader have a go. There are certainly going to be some fireworks for the remainder of the week.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 11:57 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
TBF Canadians voted in the guy with nice hair and how is he working out for us?
Doug Ford has nice hair? IMHO he's the final own goal in the hat trick. And the final nail in the coffin of the old pro-worker red side and pro-business blues; there's not much that can be done with budgets these days so the argument is do you want to be global or isolationist. Or, pro-resource or anti-resource in Canada.

I'm glad that bill bringing plan B forward (3 day limit instead of the weeks they originally had) was passed, because I'd love to see how you'd turn Wing & a Prayer into policy. I actually think May's dogs dinner might be the most reasonable deal you're going to get, and with parliament split between Hard Brexit/ Canada Deal/ Norway Deal/ Broken May Deal/ No Brexit I can't see hoe they move forward.

Interesting that the SNP's objection to a soft border down the Irish sea is that it will make NI unfairly competitive... by my thumbsuck math
(At Westminster, Scotland is represented by 35 MPs from the Scottish National Party,13 from the Conservative Party, 7 MPs from the Labour Party and 4 from the Liberal Democrat)
that loses 35+7+4=46 from the opposition and 13 tories that's enough to give May a majority? So if Scotland had voted to leave the UK back in 2015, Brexit for England + NI + Wales would be a done deal?
Old Jan 15th 2019, 12:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
May's deal, technically known as "May's botched deal" is widely expected to be rejected tomorrow evening, in which case Jezza is expected to call a vote of no confidence (in the government, this time). Nobody is sure what stubborn as an ass May will do if defeated, but I'm not the only one hoping she will step aside, and at very least let a new Tory leader have a go. There are certainly going to be some fireworks for the remainder of the week.
Suppose the government falls and there's an election. What would Labour's stance on Brexit be?
Old Jan 15th 2019, 12:13 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Suppose the government falls and there's an election. What would Labour's stance on Brexit be?
Given the goat at the helm, that's the $64 million question. He's pro-Brexit, many Labour supporters are pro-Brexit, but the party is officially pro-Remain. He would need to follow party policy. I also think Labour would need to differentiate themselves from the Tories if a new election focussed on Brexit. But I don't think there will be a GE, I think it will go to a CU type Brexit deal (eg. Norway) or a People's Vote.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 12:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Given the goat at the helm, that's the $64 million question. He's pro-Brexit, many Labour supporters are pro-Brexit, but the party is officially pro-Remain. He would need to follow party policy. I also think Labour would need to differentiate themselves from the Tories if a new election focussed on Brexit.
I agree with all that but think that for Labour to be elected they would have to ditch Corbyn and go with someone credible, like David Lammy.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 12:20 am
me/moi

I agree with all that but think that for Labour to be elected they would have to ditch Corbyn and go with someone credible, like David Lammy.
Who knows. If he rode the Remain bandwagon there would be a lot of people voting through their teeth for him, plus his army of Corbynistas.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

This is key particularly as the EU have stated that the deal on the table is the best they will offer. It seems to me that, if the result of the referendum is to be respected, the deal on the table is either accepted, or they leave without a deal. Anything else is simply attempting to avoid the result of the referendum which, of course, is precisely what lots want.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This is key particularly as the EU have stated that the deal on the table is the best they will offer. It seems to me that, if the result of the referendum is to be respected, the deal on the table is either accepted, or they leave without a deal. Anything else is simply attempting to avoid the result of the referendum which, of course, is precisely what lots want.
Especially noting the misinformation given at the time.

Seems as though the No Deal exit has been rejected by Parliament.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:07 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Seems as though the No Deal exit has been rejected by Parliament.
Err, no, that was not what the vote was about at all.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So now there's a "no confidence" vote. Perhaps there will be an election. If there is Corbyn will again be a dodgy character not standing for anything much and the Tories will again be in office. Then will they have a clue what to do?
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:26 pm
me/moi

So now there's a "no confidence" vote. Perhaps there will be an election. If there is Corbyn will again be a dodgy character not standing for anything much and the Tories will again be in office. Then will they have a clue what to do?
Whichever way you slice it, People's Vote is one step closer. Failing that, a very soft Brexit.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Err, no, that was not what the vote was about at all.
Typo sorry
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

So the DUP all voted against May's deal but will vote with the Government on a confidence vote ?!?!

Wow, we are so far through the looking glass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.