thoughts on the £

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thoughts on the £

Originally Posted by scootb
I never said the UK has nothing to offer
Oh? I must have misunderstood you when you said 'it is the most violent country in Europe, what else does it have to offer?' then.

I have lived in Glasgow(suburbs)
Aha! I really must start that thread one day, it does intrigue me why Glasgow has such a high percentage of our forum users emigrating to Canada (and possibly other countries too, but I don't know about them).

I have lived in Glasgow(suburbs),I have also lived in several areas of Scotland,as well as living in a very nice place called Reading for a while.
Reading's awful I think! I live a few miles away from there, and it's lovely here (rarely lock doors, kids play out safely, great community spirit, surrounded by fields etc), but Reading itself is hideous and I avoid it wherever possible. JMO though!

I wouldn't choose to live in a city either, although I did like living in Oxford, but Birmingham and London weren't my cup of tea. I love visiting London for a day with so much for free that the kids can do, but wouldn't want to live there. Just a country bumpkin at heart I guess.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 9:00 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thoughts on the £

Absolute nonsense!
The wealthy foreigners are buying up the properties in London as its the capital of the UK and they know they will only profit from buying up those properties,even you know that!!
Half a million migrants come settle in the UK every year+ the population growth on a small land mass when it is already running out of enough farming land to sustain the population,not to mention the limited employment that there is,especially north of the midlands.
The oil industry has started laying off workers,the top wave generator research company in Scotland just laid off their remaining staff due to lack of funding,it is the most violent country in Europe,what else does it have to offer?
The generalisations that I am making apply to lots of people,there is more to the UK than London,maybe look at a map of the UK rather than London at some point!
Where do you get this notion that we need farming land to sustain the population? That's a 19th century concept, made redundant by international trade. We are able to buy in food from all corners of the earth, not to mention rely on our plentiful "farming land" in the vast EU. There are employment and social issues in parts of Britain, no question, but at least the country (again backed by the EU) has policy in place to look after its people. And it's quite ironic that someone living in Alberta is making rants about impending oil industry lay offs.

London, of course, is a world class city, and not entirely a fair comparison with Edmonton (although we do have our very own scruffy Edmonton). However there are plenty of other cities in Britain that are vibrant or inspirational, not to mention many beautiful market towns and ten thousand (not-so-remote) villages. Something for everyone, really. There are some crummy spots in the UK, but there are crummy spots everywhere. Have a wander on the Rovers Return BE forum sometime, and you'll find loads of former expats who don't recognise the Britain you paint. Even quite a few that are from North of Watford.