Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

For Those of You Still in Winter! - Snowthrowers

For Those of You Still in Winter! - Snowthrowers

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default For Those of You Still in Winter! - Snowthrowers

As some of you may remember, I advised of my purchase of a Toro 15 inch Snowthrower, back in the Autumn. A few of you were skeptical (my husband was apoplectic!) Staunch East Coasters feared the worst

It is bloody great....it is a bit like pushing a child's buggy, and it chucks the snow right on top of the existing snow pile (here, that's pretty high). It has paid for itself and been a joy...three of my neighbours have since bought one too. If you have a huge property, don't bother, but if, like me, you have a double drive with a 100 metres frontage, and a deck that you'd like the cat to play on, get one. It works.

The last big snowstorm we had (I've lost count this year) my husband turned mid morning clean up, and said "this thing is bloody brilliant, and I did'nt think it would work"... job done...I'm right for once
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For Those of You Still in Winter! - Snowthrowers

My neighbor was using one this morning, first time he has got to use it, even went and did the other neighbors house too, I think he was having fun...lol

They look fun, I live in an apartment so the snow isn't something I clear, but if I did, and lived in a snowy place, I'd buy one, shoveling is a miserable experience.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
As some of you may remember, I advised of my purchase of a Toro 15 inch Snowthrower, back in the Autumn. A few of you were skeptical (my husband was apoplectic!) Staunch East Coasters feared the worst

It is bloody great....it is a bit like pushing a child's buggy, and it chucks the snow right on top of the existing snow pile (here, that's pretty high). It has paid for itself and been a joy...three of my neighbours have since bought one too. If you have a huge property, don't bother, but if, like me, you have a double drive with a 100 metres frontage, and a deck that you'd like the cat to play on, get one. It works.

The last big snowstorm we had (I've lost count this year) my husband turned mid morning clean up, and said "this thing is bloody brilliant, and I did'nt think it would work"... job done...I'm right for once
Is it the electric one Millie? I was looking at those, wish I had bought one now if it is!

Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I clear the driveway twice a day, to get out, and to get back in again, using a Farm King 500. It works well and has been an extremely good purchase, without it we'd still be digging through the Christmas snow.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I clear the driveway twice a day, to get out, and to get back in again, using a Farm King 500. It works well and has been an extremely good purchase, without it we'd still be digging through the Christmas snow.
That's a big bit of kit!

Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:59 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Is it the electric one Millie? I was looking at those, wish I had bought one now if it is!

Siouxie, yes, I got it from Amazon. I think those 'beam me up Scottie' big ones are amazing, but the are just too big for me, and I can never get that sort of stuff to start! I have set this one set up with a long lead, and I couldn't be happier (excepting a better climate). My back is not happy shovelling, and nor is my husband....this seems to be a good solution, and is not a major investment with regard to space or cost...and no I don't have shares in the company...yet!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:30 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

We use child labour.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bats
We use child labour.
So did mine.

Glad to see it worked out for you Millie, I can imagine the skepticism
when you bought it.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That's a big bit of kit!

There's a lot of snow.
Attached Thumbnails For Those of You Still in Winter! - Snowthrowers-img_1142.jpg  
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
We use child labour.
I use unpaid immigrant labour (Iranian or Lebanese).

Renting one of these also helps enormously.

http://www.abrisgatineau.com/location-abris-auto.html
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:45 pm
BE user by choice

There's a lot of snow.
Oh dear heavens how do you even begin from that

I too quite like the child labour aspect, but they do tend to give up and shirk a bit, or my one does...I shall have to beat it harder
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I had a snowblower when i lived in Edmonton..it came with the house i was renting..in 3 winters i never did work out how to use the damn thing..it was new petrol one bit like a lawn mower with a dual pull cord and electric starter..i tried numerous times to get the thing going without success..so i just kept shovelling..by the end of winter 2011 (snowiest for 40 years) i had shoulders and arms Arnie would have been proud of
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of snow.
That looks like my front garden. At least you have somewhere to put it. I'm running out of space.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
That looks like my front garden. At least you have somewhere to put it. I'm running out of space.
At the front there's room. There's less at the back. The fence planks are 4' so the posts are five or so. As you can see, the snow is deep enough now that the dogs can just stroll over the fence. I think there's cause for concern that a thaw might result in sogginess.
Attached Thumbnails For Those of You Still in Winter! - Snowthrowers-img_1155.jpg   For Those of You Still in Winter! - Snowthrowers-img_1156.jpg  
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:22 pm
Slob

At the front there's room. There's less at the back. The fence planks are 4' so the posts are five or so. As you can see, the snow is deep enough now that the dogs can just stroll over the fence. I think there's cause for concern that a thaw might result in sogginess.
We had that a few years ago. The dog could go take a dump in the neighbour's yard.

This issue is somewhat on my radar at the moment. The place we are trying to buy for my stepson comes with a not insignificant lane. I don't think much attention has yet been paid to the issue of ploughing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.