Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Those were the days !!!!!

Those were the days !!!!!

Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:58 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Those were the days !!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

50’s,60's & 70’s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents .

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Football teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Eddie as I am one of those kids
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:07 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those were the days !!!!!

Aye, we are a brave and hardy bunch
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:12 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

...and what about us that were born in the 40's?

What are we chopped liver.

I'll forgive you this time but don't you let it happen again.

Cheers
Steve
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:11 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Those were the days !!!!!

Yeah,those were the days.chucking rolled up sh.. through open windows,shoved in to boxing rings(even if you were a girl)swinging over a tin bin,flames burning the butt off you.yip theses were the days and would I do it all over again.bet yar bottom dollar
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Mawhaha! Those were the days. I remember a home made go-kart that I made with some friends in the late 1970's and speeding round the corner in it ....... then 2 of the wheels fell off, I shot off the kart and got some gravel rash on my leg (ouch).

I used to love playing conkers too, but the PC brigade in the UK have ruined all of that! What's the matter with 'rapped' knuckles?
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:32 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

forgot how painful those conkers hurt more so on a cold day.or when you went on yar nelly with the roller skates
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Those were the days !!!!!

...although I do remember 'clackers' being banned from school after a scary report on 'Blue Peter'.....'could take your eye out'!

Made me smile though.....note to self.....stop molly-coddling 11 year old.....!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Voyager970
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

50’s,60's & 70’s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents .

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Football teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Eddie as I am one of those kids
made me smile reading this first thing this morning. Have uttered a few of these to other people myself. Great post.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:55 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Weren't we lucky!

I wonder about this and future generations of kids. I once read that a rather high percentage of kids (75 or so % - I can't remember exactly) wouldn't be able find their way home from school if they had to walk. All that chauffeuring and attention zoned into a gadget instead of what's going on around... makes me wonder how they will perceive the world as adults.

I'm going to go for a bike ride and buy some lego!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:02 pm
Lloydminster AB

niver a true word spoken my kids ask for a drive to the corner shop,the walk would kill them.needless to say we make them hoof it(walk)or they go without
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I'm going to go for a bike ride and buy some lego!

Live dangerously and pop 2 bags of space dust into your mouth and feel the multiple explosions! I used to love space dust and clackers (now they did hurt when you got hit!)
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like only yesterday building dens up the park or in the garden, whizzing down the road on yer go-cart.

Remember the roller skates we had then - you put them on while wearing your shoes, did them up with laces, buckles & a wing nut underneath that usually worked loose

And those tubes you spun round over your head to make a noise, they were great.

And as for space hoppers - remember the orange ones with the face on - I dreamed of having one of those, but got a pair of stilts instead
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:48 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays

...although I do remember 'clackers' being banned from school after a scary report on 'Blue Peter'.....'could take your eye out'!

Made me smile though.....note to self.....stop molly-coddling 11 year old.....!
I loved my clackers - gave me bruised hands though.

Most dangerous thing I encountered was running down the road wearing my 'Chelsea Girl' flares (like sails off a yacht) and platform shoes. I spent 3 years with a recurrent sprained ankle ....... ouch, still brings a tear to me eyes
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, yes, the platform shoes...crippled as I tried to borrow my big sister's.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:56 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris

And as for space hoppers - remember the orange ones with the face on - I dreamed of having one of those, but got a pair of stilts instead
We had one,...... my darling brother stuck it with the garden fork, to see if it would burst.

It did.

He was an experimental child ........ well something-mental anyway.

It was he who dropped our cat from great heights to see if it would always land on its feet.

He also used my swim-suit and rubber-ring as target-practice out the window with his air-gun ....... that's how I learned to swim (didn't find out til I got to the pool!! )

Bless him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.