Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Those mobile internet stick thingies

Those mobile internet stick thingies

Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those mobile internet stick thingies

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Ok - having had 4 months of my "turd-o-stick" I can advise you all that if you are a light internet user, then it may be an option. No surprise there.

However - it's not easy to keep track of usage.

As I have just discovered with my most recent bill.

$360...

...for a month.

I apparently went 5gb over the 5gb ($75) line and paid 5 cents a megabyte. Apart from the bits I don't understand where I was seemingly charged $10 or $15 per mb.

This is for a product which drops the connection all the time and two weeks ago ended up being hurled across the room in frustration, ending up in a baseboard heater.

It now looks a bit melted but still works.
Err, thanks for the update, but reading through this oldish thread, I did warn you. Light use only.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Err, thanks for the update, but reading through this oldish thread, I did warn you. Light use only.
My first few monthly bills weren't so bad. Less than the $75 I was expecting. Like I say, the inability to track usage is a pain in the arse and has proven to be my downfall this month.

Naturally I'm blaming Bell and Rogers. If they had invested in rural broadband like they were supposed to have done...
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

My first few monthly bills weren't so bad. Less than the $75 I was expecting. Like I say, the inability to track usage is a pain in the arse and has proven to be my downfall this month.

Naturally I'm blaming Bell and Rogers. If they had invested in rural broadband like they were supposed to have done...
Yikes - I came to look at this thread after you linked to it on the Xplornet one. Yup - that's a bloody expensive monthly bill, but you'd still need to have a few more of those before the Xplornet $1000 installation fee (satellite system) is cancelled out...
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:50 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

{bump}

Christ, i cant believe how expensive it is there. Even here in Ireland, the most expensive country on the planet, its only a one off payment of 29e for the USB stick then 20e a month for 5g's. Its a struggle to keep in the 5g limit. Vodafone are working on our mast at the mo so i went and bought an o2 one. Thats how cheap it is.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:43 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Xplornet costs me $40 a month with unlimited data, it works fine 99% of the time. I think the setup costs were included in the first 2 years contract. Been using it for 4 years.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Xplornet costs me $40 a month with unlimited data, it works fine 99% of the time. I think the setup costs were included in the first 2 years contract. Been using it for 4 years.
That'll be their fixed wireless (microwave) service, though, won't it - not satellite - so you're restricted to whether you happen to live near one of the towers, which sadly we don't (hence our paying $119.99 pm for 525MB/day download allowance! )
Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Mr Lee, all rocket sticks need a cell phone signal to work.....so the stronger the signal the better/faster the rocket stick will wor, so Bell telling u its fast may well be true if you are in an area where Bell cell phones have a strong signal, so my advice would be to find out which provider has the strongest signal in the area u are going to be living in and go with them, and just be aware that anything u do on the internet uses bandwidth, 500 meg is plenty for emailing and messenger chatting with out webcams, to give u an idea, I went to the UK a few years ago and bought a UK dongle, I purchased 1 gig, I left my computer on 24/7 and left my dongle connected/online 24/7 too, I used about 200 meg in 10 days, with just emailing, regular surfing and messenger chatting.....hope this helps!!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just about to move back in time to a world of no broadband/high speed internet. Bell have offered me a "turbostick" to plug into my PC as an alternative ("It's very fast" the man on the other end of my phone told me). It's $30 a month on a two year contract and I get 500 megs included in that. I suspect I'll go over that somewhat with a MOTD off UKNova four times a month and what not.
Anybody got one?
Any good?
Very expensive?
Couldn't you just move to where humans live?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
Mr Lee, all rocket sticks need a cell phone signal to work.....so the stronger the signal the better/faster the rocket stick will wor,
So if the phone signal is weak sopranos talking on a phone will sound like basso profundos?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:38 am
Just Joined

jrhodes is an unknown quantity at this point

OK Now I am shocked and somewhat worried!

My wife and I have dreams of buying a rural gaff outside of Ottawa maybe in Cumberland, Winchester or Gloucester or on the other side of Kanata (Say Carp). I'm not sure if these are classed as rural but we are looking to be in areas with 2+ acres of land. We are moving over for good in August.

I am a very heavy internet user in the UK and would love to have speeds comparable to what I have here (50MB with no download limit) and even, (fingers crossed!) free access to the ISP's newsgroup server so I don’t have to pay newsleach or another provider.

I do know that 4G is coming to Canada soon and will be faster than this but I guess there will be all sorts of restrictions.

Anyone have any good recommendations? I was thinking Rogers but not anymore. Having a package with Broadband, Mobile phone (Data + Voice/text) and cable / satellite TV + maybe home phone all in would also be a good call.

Thanks for any help / information anyone is willing to give / share

Jon
Old Apr 10th 2011, 5:52 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I know of very few packages in Canada that don't cap your data limit.

We have one but we livein a very specific area of condos that have high speed fibre optic connection. Our package terms are almost unheard of in Toronto , rurally you have no chance