Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Wikiposts

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:18 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Im not sure, but I think Jan misses her family and friends and wants to go back to the UK...

Is anyone else picking that up from her posts?

Seriously, we get it, enough already!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:18 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont think I would have done this...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...09007Large.jpg
You would be doing it now, well, depends where in the UK (if you were) you were

As for things I'd have never done, well, learning to sail and (co)owning a small sailboat, and learning to Ski.

Though I might have, at some point learnt to Ski, I very much doubt I'd have learnt how to sail and/or own a sailboat.

What else, hmm, watched hockey and baseball games at a stadium/arena.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
play pool on our pool table in the basement
This is an ethnic thing that strikes me as being very strange. The point of eight or nine ball is to bet. At the very least you bet the price of a game on a machine table, more commonly the price of the table and a drink, often a hundred bucks or so. If the table's in your basement do you give yourself money when you lose?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
You would be doing it now, well, depends where in the UK (if you were) you were

As for things I'd have never done, well, learning to sail and (co)owning a small sailboat, and learning to Ski.

Though I might have, at some point learnt to Ski, I very much doubt I'd have learnt how to sail and/or own a sailboat.

What else, hmm, watched hockey and baseball games at a stadium/arena.
I wouldnt as none of us would have skates so there would be no point to a back yard ice rink.

I suppose skating and skiing are both things Im unlikely to have done in the UK, certainly not after work anyway. I guess barbequeing in all weather also counts too, plus swimming in the back yard..
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:31 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

owned 2 houses - rented one out lived in the other,
snowblow our 400' drive,
ride on a lawn mower to cut 3 acres of lawn,
own 2 goats
put up an electric fence
rent the workshop out to a local mechanic
drive for 18 hrs to Virginia Beach
experience freezing rain
snowmobile around our 5 acre field
see bears and deer and porcupines almost on our doorstep
MISS FAMILY and FRIENDS who mean so much back in the UK
Reading between the lines, I'd guess you're very pleased with yourself for having a large house and land? Am I right? Close?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:37 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't think I would have skied and after two failed attempts here not sure I will again.

Shoveled snow (and loved it).

Had an ice rink in the back garden (and used it).

Been to a baseball game (and loved it).

Been to an ice hockey game (and loved it).

Meeting a certain expat who has a keen affiliation to donkeys (have fun with that one guys) and enjoying a few beers/wings in several unique establishments.

Tried to remember to stop as in STOP at junctions and not to sail passed stopped school buses (so far, so good).
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
Meeting a certain expat who has a keen affiliation to donkeys (have fun with that one guys) and enjoying a few beers/wings in several unique establishments.

That's a bit specific, there's no denying though that there's nowhere quite like the Loretto Inn in the UK. I shall forever remember that place.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
[COLOR="Indigo"]
Been to a baseball game (and loved it).
Now that is taking this assimilation lark too far
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

....having enough land to warrant the hire of self-drive heavy equipment for landscaping.

....bought an ATV and regularly gone riding. From my doorstep if I choose to.

....snowmobiling. Particularly, snowmobiling to the top of Western Brook Gorge in Gros Morne national park.

....sailed round an iceberg

....felt good about utility over style in clothing choices.

....gone back to University to do a Masters.

....considered 'where to put the snow in winter' when siting fences, flowerbeds etc.

....snow shovelling / blowing / snow tires etc. etc.

....realised that I will (unless my lottery numbers come up) never own a boat like I did in the UK.

....joined BE!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:14 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Witnessed the castration of a donkey.
Keeping vaguely on topic:

Helped autopsy a horse in -20 temperatures
Wrapped my tractor and plough round a tree
Used a snowmobile to get to work
Worked 4yrs straight without time off
Created the opportunity to be debt free
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:23 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

This is an ethnic thing that strikes me as being very strange. The point of eight or nine ball is to bet. At the very least you bet the price of a game on a machine table, more commonly the price of the table and a drink, often a hundred bucks or so. If the table's in your basement do you give yourself money when you lose?
Key word: basement.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by geo4
Key word: basement.
What is the point of having a pool table in the basement? There's no one there to compete with. Pool tables belong in bars.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:25 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

- See my kids so happy
- Having kids play outdoors without some drug dealer offering them stuff
- walk out from the supermarket and not have to look (yeah they actually stop do the cars )
- Goto the shops and leave my car running with the keys in and hey its still there when i return
- See my oldest join cheerleading
- See my eldest have so many nice friends and be the social deva that she is
- To see my son reach such a high level in his education and OMG where did he get that voice for choir.........that one shocked me
- To have my youngest kid excel and get 99% in her test at school (yeah ok she takes after her dad)
- To have met some awesome people that have helped us so much...........
- To finally know that i am 100% happy with my life

SO looking forward to buying the house of my dreams
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:26 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the point of having a pool table in the basement? There's no one there to compete with. Pool tables belong in bars.
Molemen?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Witnessed the castration of a donkey.
Not the circumcision ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.