British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/things-you-bring-back-uk-when-holiday-684660/)

TheThornes Sep 9th 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

Haven't been back to the UK yet but have had people bring over gravy granules, Angel Delight and Syndol (best thing for migraines).

We're going back next year and intend to do lots of shopping in Next and M&S (bras and undies of course!)

Apparently, a friend of mine over here found Farleys Rusks in a local supermarket.

Piff Poff Sep 9th 2010 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by TheThornes (Post 8837844)
Haven't been back to the UK yet but have had people bring over gravy granules, Angel Delight and Syndol (best thing for migraines).

We're going back next year and intend to do lots of shopping in Next and M&S (bras and undies of course!)

Apparently, a friend of mine over here found Farleys Rusks in a local supermarket.

Don't bother with the Angel Delight - doesn't seem to work as well here, stays a bit sloppy...Unless you like it sloppy of course.

TheThornes Sep 9th 2010 1:10 pm

Seemed the same to me. Kids certainly haven't complained. I think I've currently got a lifetimes supply. Asked the mother in law to bring a few packets over and I think she bought the whole of Sainsbury's supply!

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 8837847)
Don't bother with the Angel Delight - doesn't seem to work as well here, stays a bit sloppy...Unless you like it sloppy of course.

Piff Poff Sep 9th 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by TheThornes (Post 8837893)
Seemed the same to me. Kids certainly haven't complained. I think I've currently got a lifetimes supply. Asked the mother in law to bring a few packets over and I think she bought the whole of Sainsbury's supply!

My MIL did the same, and still it sits in the cupboard probably out of date by now:rofl:

Zoe Bell Sep 9th 2010 1:28 pm

I have just received a care package of 30 bags of roast beef monster munch

All is well in the world:thumbsup:

Tuppence Sep 9th 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 8837919)
I have just received a care package of 30 bags of roast beef monster munch

All is well in the world:thumbsup:

Holy crap that's a big parcel. They are all air!

Zoe Bell Sep 9th 2010 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppence (Post 8837920)
Holy crap that's a big parcel. They are all air!

And consequently fairly cheap to ship :lol:

Novocastrian Sep 9th 2010 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by TheThornes (Post 8837844)

I'd never heard of Syndol, but it sounds extremely dodgy to me. Can you get this stuff over the counter in the UK, because I think that's not a good thing.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002516.html

fledermaus Sep 9th 2010 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8837929)
I'd never heard of Syndol, but it sounds extremely dodgy to me. Can you get this stuff over the counter in the UK, because I think that's not a good thing.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002516.html

I did some googling and something similar is called Mersyndol in Canada.

Syndol has
Paracetamol 450mg, codeine 10mg, doxylamine, caffeine

Mersyndol has
325mg Acetaminophen, 5mg Doxylamine Succinate, 8mg Codeine

Apparently an OTC drug.

TheThornes Sep 9th 2010 3:29 pm

Yes, you can get Syndol over the counter in the UK. It's a "P" medicine - ie. they have to OK it with the pharmacist to sell it to you. It's true it makes you drowsy. I take them on the odd occasion I get a bad migraine as a last resort. I take them when I go to bed, they knock me for six and then I wake up feeling as right as rain again! ;)

Auld Yin Sep 10th 2010 1:46 am

For the thread and posts,

JESUS WEPT

fledermaus Sep 10th 2010 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8839055)
For the thread and posts,

JESUS WEPT

Is that cos he had a migraine?

Souvy Sep 10th 2010 2:04 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8839060)
Is that cos he had a migraine?

Joint pain, I think.

minimeeze Sep 10th 2010 7:32 am

Am having my first trip back to the UK in October. All I want to get whilst I'm there is some DECENT bra's that are not t-shirt bra's!

The only other thing i really miss is Robinson's squash, but I buy that online and get it shipped over :)

jimf Sep 10th 2010 7:37 am

Originally Posted by minimeeze (Post 8839793)
Am having my first trip back to the UK in October. All I want to get whilst I'm there is some DECENT bra's that are not t-shirt bra's!

The only other thing i really miss is Robinson's squash, but I buy that online and get it shipped over :)

Where from?