Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is there anything you wouldn't miss if you left Canada?

Is there anything you wouldn't miss if you left Canada?

Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything you wouldn't miss if you left Canada?

Originally Posted by John_B
It's the nature of internet forums. People can be insulting in a way they wouldn't dare to face to face.
I do, I'll say anything face to face or on a forum. Call it as it is.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
The US is, at least, as bilingual as Canada.
No, that ain't true. There's only one official language in the US. That's English.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
No, that ain't true. There's only one official language in the US. That's English.
Officially yes there's only one. Practically, there are two in use everywhere and many more used locally depending on location. That's similar to Canada except that there's that big empty bit in the middle of Canada where French is not commonly spoken and there's no such gap in the distribution of Spanish speakers in the US.

Here, by way of example of the pervasive use of Spanish, is a government edict in that language:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ing-faq-sp.pdf
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:26 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I do, I'll say anything face to face or on a forum. Call it as it is.
So in real life I'm guessing you are either:

a) Courteous and polite
b) Built like a Brick S**t House
c) Get smacked a lot.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Exilelass
You gives you the right to speak to people that way!
If you disagree with something I write that civility cost nothing.

They dug up roundabouts because they felt they caused accidents. Did they change their minds; add even more? I have no idea, you are telling us they did. I had to drive through the road works created by the removal, so I know they removed them; what they did after that I have no idea.
They may have dug up one or two but they left most of the others. You are most likely speaking of the one on 107th Ave and Groat Rd.

So I still call bullshit to your original comment, because it's just not true. If it were true they would have removed them all and that just isn't the case.

You've been around in Canada long enough to realise that the term bullshit is in common use when calling someone out on ridiculous statements if it offends you then I'm sorry.

Last edited by Steve_P; Sep 21st 2010 at 4:23 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:29 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Officially yes there's only one. Practically, there are two in use everywhere and many more used locally depending on location. That's similar to Canada except that there's that big empty bit in the middle of Canada where French is not commonly spoken and there's no such gap in the distribution of Spanish speakers in the US.

Here, by way of example of the pervasive use of Spanish, is a government edict in that language:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ing-faq-sp.pdf
I agree that Spanish is the de-facto second language. I remember going to Home Depot in NY the first time. It was just like Canada, but instead of French it was Spanish.

But are manufacturers forced by law to print labels in both English and Spanish?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But are manufacturers forced by law to print labels in both English and Spanish?
I believe that depends on the product and the State, there's no blanket requirement as there is in Canada. Still, I can't see that it makes any odds to the consumer why that gibberish writing is on the box.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Officially yes there's only one. Practically, there are two in use everywhere and many more used locally depending on location...
Here, by way of example of the pervasive use of Spanish...
Not really. Only in states where there's a sizable Hispanic population, such as CA, NY, and NM, but not everywhere. They are mostly for immigrants, and it's not as pervasive as French is here--I mean, all the traffic signs, etc.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:21 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that depends on the product and the State, there's no blanket requirement as there is in Canada. Still, I can't see that it makes any odds to the consumer why that gibberish writing is on the box.
It's not a blanket requirement. If you don't intend marketing a product in QC or NB, there is no requirement to have French labelling.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

a) Courteous and polite
c) Get smacked a lot.
Thanks for the laugh
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Were you being thick here or just taking the piss?
I feel no need to define the disease. Your two other comments in that post illustrated it perfectly.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:28 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

Originally Posted by Souvy
I feel no need to define the disease. Your two other comments in that post illustrated it perfectly.
Your still an arrogant prick though.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:31 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It's not a blanket requirement. If you don't intend marketing a product in QC or NB, there is no requirement to have French labelling.
I noticed when travelling a little in Gat that their signs were not bilingual. I'm not sure whether this is blanket in Quebec or just the signs I happen to notice. If it is blanket, it would seem a little one sided.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:36 pm
Banned

Boy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really nice

Which ones?
to start with black flies, never been a problem for me in Alberda
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

a) Courteous and polite
c) Get smacked a lot.
Size is not everything! It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.