Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Theatre in London (UK!)

Theatre in London (UK!)

Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Theatre in London (UK!)

Looking at possible theatre tickets in December if available - something suitable for kids (9 and 11).

Anyone been to see Wicked, Oliver or Billy Elliot in the West End?

Any comments?

Ta.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Re: Theatre in London (UK!)

Have heard very good things about Wicked.

I am jealous! I love the West End. Last thing I went to see was Dirty Dancing which was awesome
Old Aug 29th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard AMAZING reports from friends about Wicked too
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, that's you two plus one other person favouring Wicked
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Wicked on Braodway and it was wicked!!!!

Plus if you are around try Sacred Flame at the O2. BIL is producing it!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

Wicked is amazing! My favourite musical. Seen it once in Westend and hoping to see it again before I leave for Canada. If the kids were any younger I'd advise against as it's probably quite scary for younger kids in parts. Be warned though you'll be singing 'defying gravity' for months after!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Yes I saw Wicked with my 10 year old daughter in the West End recently and it was brilliant - we both loved it! I have also heard that Billy Elliot is really good but tickets for that seem to be more difficult to get. I've seen Mamma Mia twice and am taking my 11 year old and her friend to see it soon - both times I was there, there were lots of children of all ages and they seemed to really love it. Mamma Mia is one of the best West End shows (IMHO) and is great for all ages - the story is a bit contrived but the performers are real characters and the music is amazing.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks again for your responses folks. Looks like Wicked wins the day! That's one I don't really know anything about so that could be good fun. Let's see if I can get (and afford) tickets now.

gryph - thanks for the other suggestion but won't be in the right place at the right time
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ann m
Thanks again for your responses folks. Looks like Wicked wins the day! That's one I don't really know anything about so that could be good fun. Let's see if I can get (and afford) tickets now.

gryph - thanks for the other suggestion but won't be in the right place at the right time
Hi ann - Im sure you already know all this......you can order tickets on-line - I did a quick check and it seems that they are 15-60 pounds. When we were in london in may, we ordered our tickets online and picked them up at the boxoffice a few hours before the play. In fact, the playhouse theatre had upgraded our tickets for us (because we were canadians - or so they said) so we were able to get really good seats - then went and had a nice dinner and returned to see the play. It was a fantastic nite.

The other thing you can do, is try to get tickets at the sameday ticket office in Leicester Square. We were going to do this, but it was a rainy cold day, so were very happy that we had ordred before hand.

Have a wonderful trip.

My only other thought is that you might want to preview the play before you take your daughter to see it. What other parents may feel is appropriate for their children to see, may not be appropriate for others. Just a thought..
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your comments willmore.

I've booked some tickets for Wicked - be nice to have a day out in London and "do" the lights, soak up some Xmas spirit and complain about the cost of everything
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Got here a bit late I think....Billy Elliot is not suitable for children below teens really as it has a fair bit of swearing in - including F* word a fair few times. Great show though - outstanding in fact. Wicked supposed to be amazing too. Enjoy!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Show's are too poncy. Why not go to a panto instead?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Hi - just read the post about previewing Wicked - I must be one of the UKs most cautious parents (more so than any others around here, and I live in the Highlands of Scotland where we are not known for our broad mindedness!) but I would have no hesitation in taking any child over about 8 to see it. I would be a little concerned that nervous children might find some bits a bit scary but as for story line - it's fine. To be honest, the music just takes over and the subtleties aren't obvious at all. Mind you having read the book there is no way I'd let my children read it until they are much much older - think late teens at least!, although I thought it was very clever. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Show's are too poncy. Why not go to a panto instead?
Oh God - I love shows - the poncy-er the better.

Can't beat a story to music, with over-the-top outfits, tons of make-up and a jolly ol' knees up for a finale. It brings out my inner Doris Day every time

Come on Alan - you know you want to
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:12 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Oh God - I love shows - the poncy-er the better.

Can't beat a story to music, with over-the-top outfits, tons of make-up and a jolly ol' knees up for a finale. It brings out my inner Doris Day every time

Come on Alan - you know you want to
God no. As a medium for storying telling, the musical is by far the suckiest. Even suckier than poetry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.