Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Terrorist to get 10.5m reward

Terrorist to get 10.5m reward

Old Jul 8th 2017, 12:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist to get 10.5m reward

I say the Harper government that was in power at the time is to blame, and 10.5 million isn't their most costly mistake. From the onset there were problems in Afghanistan. They tried to hush up the killing of Afghan civillians by JTF-2 operatives who were working with US special forces (and Harper said anyone who wanted to press for answers wasn't patriotic and didn't support the troops), then 2 years later Canadian soldiers became headline news for turning Afghan prisoners over to local authorities knowing they would all be tortured. I like the military, don't like war crimes. and I think I'm more patriotic than Steven Harper. When the government found out a Canadian citizen had been captured as an enemy fighter and that he was a minor and that his dad was a big Al-Qaeda funder they should have taken an interest instead of just leaving him there. It doesn't take years and years to wring information out of a teenager.
We could run a pool on what Khadr does with the money, the lawyer will get a cut for his work and for taking him into his house, but that leaves a lot. I suspect he'll give most of it away to deflect criticism.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 8th 2017 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I say the Harper government that was in power at the time is to blame, and 10.5 million isn't their most costly mistake. From the onset there were problems in Afghanistan. They tried to hush up the killing of Afghan civillians by JTF-2 operatives who were working with US special forces (and Harper said anyone who wanted to press for answers wasn't patriotic and didn't support the troops), then 2 years later Canadian soldiers became headline news for turning Afghan prisoners over to local authorities knowing they would all be tortured. I like the military, don't like war crimes. and I think I'm more patriotic than Steven Harper. When the government found out a Canadian citizen had been captured as an enemy fighter and that he was a minor and that his dad was a big Al-Qaeda funder they should have taken an interest instead of just leaving him there. It doesn't take years and years to wring information out of a teenager.
We could run a pool on what Khadr does with the money, the lawyer will get a cut for his work and for taking him into his house, but that leaves a lot. I suspect he'll give most of it away to deflect criticism.
Khadr will probably need the money to find somewhere quiet and secure to live.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think you fill find that both the PC and Liberal Govts are to blame.

In the 2010 Supreme Court ruling the court found that Khadrs human rights were being violated while being imprisoned in Gitmo.
In that case, the court dealt with the visit of CSIS and Foreign Affairs officials to the prison in 2003 and 2004, under the previous Liberal government.
For three weeks ahead of an interview with a Foreign Affairs official in 2004, Khadr was subjected to the "frequent flyer program," a method of sleep deprivation in which Khadr was moved to a different cell every three hours. The court said the Canadian official knew about this before conducting the interview.

Oh and BTW who was a member of the Liberal Cabinet in 2004? The Rt Hon Ralph Goodale.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:26 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Khadr will probably need the money to find somewhere quiet and secure to live.
Like Iraq I hope
Old Jul 8th 2017, 2:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I think you fill find that both the PC and Liberal Govts are to blame.
You're right, it's easy to forget about Paul Martin. According to wiki Chretien sent the diplomatic requests and that went nowhere, and they didn't even inform the government when they moved him to Guantanamo, which is a pointed way of saying You're out of the loop. I still don't like Harper.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
What a ridiculous thing to say, does it make it better with a vaguely humerous emoji? No.. He lives here so I feel can quite freely comment as he did. He pays taxes in Canada whereas you clearly don't.
It was a ridiculous thing to say, but was it wrong? He chooses to live in a liberal country, and his opinion should be voiced, and so can mine. Regardless of whether I live in Canada anymore (I was resident from 2006-2011, and still am married to a Canadian).

And I have been paying taxes in Canada this week, I'm on vacation in Toronto. Pretty much everything I buy has taxes. But should whether I'm a Canadian taxpayer have a bearing on whether I can express an opinion?
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

He chooses to live in a liberal country
I do and liberal is fine however, liberal to the point of absurdity, as this decision confirms, not so much. It would seem that there were three infringements of the charter per the Supreme Court. Fine. Given his back ground, $1 per infringement seems about right. He has been more than adequately compensated in that he was repatriated to Canada at the Canadian Tax Payers expense and is now free so to speak. Many believe he should still be incarcerated in the U.S. serving his sentence. I am one of that number. I respect your opinion, and your freedom to express it however my opinion as to how overtly Liberal Canada is to me today, is hardly justification for suggesting I get on the next plane out of YYZ....or is it? Smacks of the liberal way or the 401 to YYZ. 😎😉

Last edited by macadian; Jul 8th 2017 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by macadian
I do and liberal is fine however, liberal to the point of absurdity, as this decision confirms, not so much.
A couple of questions.

Do you disagree Khadr should receive some compensation for his torture and confinement, or is it just the amount you disagree with?

Whether the soldier's widow should get the money or not is something a court will likely end up deciding if she sues Khadr, but much of the money will probably be swallowed by lawyers fees before that would be decided.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of questions.

Do you disagree Khadr should receive some compensation for his torture and confinement, or is it just the amount you disagree with?
I do not. But he can have the $3.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:27 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I personally disagree and would go further to say he should have had his citizenship taken away along with his family being deported. In the Previous wars didn't they hang people for treason.?

Maybe Isis will now compensate the families of the people they chose to behead ? But don't hold ya breath.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Harper wasn't PM when Khadr was captured, nor when the Canadians "interviewed" him and passed the information to the Americans. I accept that Harper did little to ensure he was repatriated. In light of this, what did Harper do incorrectly regarding Khadr?

Edit: I see that others made the same point and that you have conceded that you were wrong. I must learn to read to the end of threads.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jul 8th 2017 at 3:31 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 4:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the angst. Surely the rule of law is something everyone who appreciates living in a democratic country must treasure.

Whatever he has/has not done*, Khadr is entitled to due process. The Canadian government was complicit in denying him due process. The tariff of c. $10m was set in previous cases.

*If you take his lawyer at face value, Khadr was "convicted" in a political show trial based on a guilty plea obtained under duress. I would like to see the conviction tested in a proper court of law.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 4:34 pm

Take the throwing of the grenade and killing a US soldier away and u still have a teenage terrorist building IED's with his dad and fratinizing with the enemy!! Bin laden to name and shame. This I have seen on several news report videos on CBC and therefore a treason conviction would most likely stand up in a court.

http://m.torontosun.com/2017/07/05/o...ti-millionaire

In the bombed-out and bullet-riddled al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan where Omar Khadr was the only survivor, albeit shot up and near death, U.S. military personnel found a very telling video.
It showed Khadr, 15 when captured, helping another al-Qaida bomb-maker put together improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the kind that killed so many of our Canadian soldiers during their deployment in the volatile eastern fringes of Afghanistan.

Last edited by magnumpi; Jul 8th 2017 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Take the throwing of the grenade and killing a US soldier away and u still have a teenage terrorist building IED's with his dad and fratinizing with the enemy!! Bin laden to name and shame. This I have seen on several news report videos on CBC and therefore a treason conviction would most likely stand up in a court.

Omar Khadr, from bomb-making, convicted killer to multi-millionaire | Opinion | Toronto Sun

In the bombed-out and bullet-riddled al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan where Omar Khadr was the only survivor, albeit shot up and near death, U.S. military personnel found a very telling video.
It showed Khadr, 15 when captured, helping another al-Qaida bomb-maker put together improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the kind that killed so many of our Canadian soldiers during their deployment in the volatile eastern fringes of Afghanistan.
I'm pretty sure if the US invaded Canada for whatever reason, there'd be more than a few people improvising weapons to defend Canada.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 5:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Take the throwing of the grenade and killing a US soldier away
You do have to take this away. There is no credible evidence that I am aware of that implicates him.

therefore a treason conviction would most likely stand up in a court.
Except that his group was fighting the Americans, not Canadians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.