Teaching in Alberta

Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

kmcmull1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Alberta

I'm hoping to act as a supply teacher at some stage when we make our way across the water before Easter 2012.

How big of a process is this? I am a Canadian citizen (as my mother was born in Calgary) I have a BA(hons) degree in Consumer Studies and a PGCE in Home Economics and I'm in my 4th year of secondart school teaching (in a permanent position). How realistic is teaching in Alberta for me?

Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Alberta

It's as realistic as you want it to be.

Cryptic reply as an excuse to bump and get a more informed response....

PS... as a teacher, check your spelling.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:36 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

The general concensus on teaching in Canada is that it will take a long time to get a full-time permanent position, but it shouldn't be too hard to get a supply position (though by no means trivial). I am training to be a physics teacher myself (although reconsidering it) and on my PGDE course in the UK there are Canadians, which give some indication of the saturation of teachers in Canada.

You just need to apply to get your Alberta Teaching Certificate and then start applying for jobs in school districts in Alberta - pretty much. http://education.alberta.ca/teachers/certification.aspx
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Des and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

After sending money, certificates etc to the Alberta board to get my qualifications cross referenced, they responded saying that because I hadn't studied Canadian studies as part of my degree, I was currently illegible to teache in Alberta! Should have read the small print I guess. I have had a successful 22 year teaching experience in uk and am currently a primary headteacher. Was a little disillusioned that despite all this I am unable to teach. No idea yet how to go about getting a course on Canadian studies in the bag!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des and Chris
they responded saying that because I hadn't studied Canadian studies as part of my degree, I was currently illegible to teache in Alberta! ... No idea yet how to go about getting a course on Canadian studies in the bag!
Have a look at the University of Athabasca - I think you can do this by distance ed - or try the University of Alberta website too.

The Alberta Board can probably point you in the right direction. A friend of mine was going to do a couple of these courses, she needed quite a few credits because she had only done a 3-yr UK degree - and it was through one of hte above institutions. Sorry I can't be more help - but have a play with their websites.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Des and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Have a look at the University of Athabasca - I think you can do this by distance ed - or try the University of Alberta website too.

The Alberta Board can probably point you in the right direction. A friend of mine was going to do a couple of these courses, she needed quite a few credits because she had only done a 3-yr UK degree - and it was through one of hte above institutions. Sorry I can't be more help - but have a play with their websites.
Many thanks for this info.. I am onto it!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geedee
PS... as a teacher, check your spelling.
Get a life.
A typo isn't the same as poor spelling.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kmcmull1985
I'm hoping to act as a supply teacher at some stage when we make our way across the water before Easter 2012.

How big of a process is this? I am a Canadian citizen (as my mother was born in Calgary) I have a BA(hons) degree in Consumer Studies and a PGCE in Home Economics and I'm in my 4th year of secondart school teaching (in a permanent position). How realistic is teaching in Alberta for me?

Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks
Hello there

I'm a High School English teacher and I'm expecting to hear from Alberta Board of Education any day now. I sent my application, (which was thorough) at the end of June. I had an interview with the Calgary Board of Education last Thursday and I have to say, it went very well. I was told that there are many supply jobs and that getting out there and developing a reputation is vital in order to secure a permanent position. Maintain a positive outlook, complete paperwork accurately and mark my words, the work will come. If you need further help regarding paperwork etc....I'll be glad to give assistance.

Geedee, I have to agree with Jericho about typos.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

By the way, we've been in Calgay since May. Just have to modify personal information....
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Get a life.
A typo isn't the same as poor spelling.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Oh dear... perhaps there is a point.

I was going to say, jericho, get a sense of humour.

Or do you all need ROFLMAO smilies to get it?

Last edited by geedee; Oct 9th 2012 at 3:31 am.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:04 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Hello there

I'm a High School English teacher and I'm expecting to hear from Alberta Board of Education any day now. I sent my application, (which was thorough) at the end of June. I had an interview with the Calgary Board of Education last Thursday and I have to say, it went very well. I was told that there are many supply jobs and that getting out there and developing a reputation is vital in order to secure a permanent position. Maintain a positive outlook, complete paperwork accurately and mark my words, the work will come. If you need further help regarding paperwork etc....I'll be glad to give assistance.

Geedee, I have to agree with Jericho about typos.
Good luck navigating through their addiction to seniority over competency.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des and Chris
After sending money, certificates etc to the Alberta board to get my qualifications cross referenced, they responded saying that because I hadn't studied Canadian studies as part of my degree, I was currently illegible to teache in Alberta! Should have read the small print I guess. I have had a successful 22 year teaching experience in uk and am currently a primary headteacher. Was a little disillusioned that despite all this I am unable to teach. No idea yet how to go about getting a course on Canadian studies in the bag!
This made me giggle. Perhaps a course in penmanship might help?

[and before amybody jumps, I assume this was a typo rather than a spelling error.]