Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tax return - celiac/gluten free foods

Tax return - celiac/gluten free foods

Old May 1st 2018, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax return - celiac/gluten free foods

My dependant daughter was formally diagnosed celiac in Jan 2017.

I understand we can claim the difference in costs for buying gluten free foods versus the price for regular foods. Anyone know where/how to claim this? I believe it can be medical expense/tax credit. It’s not coming up as an obvious entry in UFile.

I have kept all receipts and totted up the amount, it’s a few hundred dollars (I don't see anything in the UFile help pages either).

Anyone else successfully processed this piece? Thanks
Old May 1st 2018, 8:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return - celiac/gluten free foods

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...tn_fr_fd_prdct

Gluten-free food products

Persons with celiac disease (gluten intolerance) can claim the incremental costs associated with buying gluten-free food products as a medical expense.
What is the incremental cost?

The incremental cost is the difference in the cost of gluten-free products compared to the cost of similar products with gluten. It is calculated by subtracting the cost of a product with gluten from the cost of a gluten-free product.

What documents do you need to keep?

Do not send your supporting documents. Keep them in case we ask to see them later. You will need to keep:

a letter from a medical practitioner that certifies that the person has celiac disease and needs a gluten-free diet;
receipts for each gluten-free food product that is claimed; and
a summary of each food product that was bought during the 12-month period for which the expenses are being claimed
For more information, see lines 330 and 331 in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ge/5000-g.html

Last edited by Siouxie; May 1st 2018 at 8:20 pm.
Old May 1st 2018, 8:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
My dependant daughter was formally diagnosed celiac in Jan 2017.

I understand we can claim the difference in costs for buying gluten free foods versus the price for regular foods. Anyone know where/how to claim this? I believe it can be medical expense/tax credit. It’s not coming up as an obvious entry in UFile.

I have kept all receipts and totted up the amount, it’s a few hundred dollars (I don't see anything in the UFile help pages either).

Anyone else successfully processed this piece? Thanks
It's in medical. See how you get on I understand that it's the difference in what it would cost to buy regular food vs gluten free. I've never claimed.
Old May 1st 2018, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It looks really complicated, because you will have to determine how much an equivalent food with gluten would have cost.

I've been buying some gluten-free foods recently, mainly bread and cookies ............. the difference in cost seems to be around $1 or $2
Old May 2nd 2018, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks Siouxie, re lines 330 and 331. Of course UFile doesn’t work so easily as to label the boxes as line equivalents but I can work it out from there.

Bats, I’ll let you know if it works.

Scilly, it was not that difficult. I did a spreadsheet, kept all receipts and then listed the lot, got costs of the regular stuff and done. It’s not too difficult because gluten free foods can be somewhat limited and repetitive! It’s easy to cost out 20 loaves, or 5 bags of flour, etc. 😉
Old May 4th 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

I did this for the first few years but TBH I saw no difference in my tax rebate.so I let it go . and If I remember where I read it I will post a celiac s problem when she was audited. iirc she had to produce every receipt and proof of difference for rolls,bread,flour and an up to date letter from her doctor.as proof of CD.
Old May 4th 2018, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
I did this for the first few years but TBH I saw no difference in my tax rebate.so I let it go . and If I remember where I read it I will post a celiac s problem when she was audited. iirc she had to produce every receipt and proof of difference for rolls,bread,flour and an up to date letter from her doctor.as proof of CD.
You can claim medical expenses if they amount to more than 3% of your net income, and it can take a lot of medical expenses to reach that level! That's why it is usually recommended that the person with the lowest income should claim the credit, if that is possible.

Remember it is a non-refundable tax credit that is used to reduce tax paid or due. You don't actually get money back, unless the medical expense credit against tax paid means you have paid too much tax.
Old May 4th 2018, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
You can claim medical expenses if they amount to more than 3% of your net income, and it can take a lot of medical expenses to reach that level! That's why it is usually recommended that the person with the lowest income should claim the credit, if that is possible.

Remember it is a non-refundable tax credit that is used to reduce tax paid or due. You don't actually get money back, unless the medical expense credit against tax paid means you have paid too much tax.
There is no choice in the matter, the person with the lowest income must claim it if they are eligible to pay tax.
Old May 4th 2018, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There is no choice in the matter, the person with the lowest income must claim it if they are eligible to pay tax.
Ah, OK ................ I haven't done our own taxes since the late 80s and back then there was the option, although it was advised that the lower income earner took them. I used to have to calculate whether it was worth giving them to OH or not. Since then I've automatically included the medical expenses in my folder for the accountant.

I didn't double check ......naughty me!