Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

terrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a Liverpudlian and I've been in London since 1963. While most of my accent is southern, I still can't bring myself to say barth or grarss!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:45 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I remember explaining to some foreigner .... and it wasn't in Canada, I don't remember where we were at the time ..... that we lived south of London. Their amazed response was that they didn't think there WAS anywhere south of London!
When I went to university and told people I came from a small town about an hour north of Aberdeen - the usual response was that they didn't know there was anything north of Aberdeen.

Do i win a prize for being the northermost person?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:46 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar

No.

I know an Icelandic chap.

R.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:47 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
There was a brilliant sketch on "Chewin' The Fat" about 2 guys returning to Scotland for the first time after 27 years in Canada...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q7t9AUuVSg

The quality's not good, but the observations are spot on!
That's one item that made the cull of belongings prior to the move - our Still Game box sets. So, so funny. Just right when you need to be cheered up a bit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTshN...eature=related

and a particular favourite when Jack sets Victor up with his girlfriend's sister

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyjl...eature=related

Last edited by pinkmcfarquhar; Sep 27th 2008 at 1:57 am. Reason: clips
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:47 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

Originally Posted by Rich_007
No.

R.
bah humbug.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:54 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

bah humbug.
No it goes more like burski burgi schnorschnump schmittir gurrb.

R.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

When I went to university and told people I came from a small town about an hour north of Aberdeen - the usual response was that they didn't know there was anything north of Aberdeen.

which town is it im fae the broch
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:40 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

No.

R.
Is his name Santa?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Is his name Santa?
sadcasiy quick, call an ambulance ,i`ve broke a rib
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:25 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

Originally Posted by Arrona
which town is it im fae the broch
Keith - so the broch is probably north of there.

We had some new windows put into the house a couple of months ago, and the two guys that did that, their mum came from Sandend!

small world isn't it!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:25 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

No it goes more like burski burgi schnorschnump schmittir gurrb.

R.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

Keith - so the broch is probably north of there.

We had some new windows put into the house a couple of months ago, and the two guys that did that, their mum came from Sandend!

small world isn't it!
it is that.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here yonks, just like Steve, but like Ann M I still say bath and plant - with an "ah" sound in the middle. I have to admit I sometimes say "tomayto" but sometimes I don't. I always say "vytamins". As I worked in an office, I had to change pronunciations or people could never understand me.

On the other hand, my husband, who is a butcher still says things that I can't even understand. He calls a courier a "currier". Is that how its pronounced in England? I don't know! He was in the States when my son and his wife had their baby last week and when I phoned him, he said: Did they have a "gew" - I said "yes they had a girl"!! Another one of his that it took me ages to get was "a-KYOO-ra" a what??? Oh you mean an AK-yoo-ra (Acura). And his version of "walk" and "talk" sound to me like "wowk" and "towk".

When I hear a recording of me speaking, it sounds to me exactly like my sister who stil lives in England. But when I get over there, people ask if I am "American"!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:37 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkiandlee
HI all,

How funny!! Ive had a good laugh reading this! I live in the Midlands but all my southern friends say "all the way up there" I come from Kent and Sussex! My sister in law is in Leeds (Halifax) she thinks North is Scotland! I'm now thinking about taking lessons to speak Canadian!!! to save any embarrassment in our future life

Nikki
x
I have family in Halifax - West Yorkshire and Scotland IS North from us .... just as London is South.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I think most people just tone down there accent to prevent ackwardness of conversion in real life situations! I used to get the phone put down on me all the time as the person on the other end didnt have a clue what i was talking about! Since my 10 months in BC my work pals from Scotland can actually understand me more now, my yorkshire accent must be fading slightly i guess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.