Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A tale of Provinces...why the chip?

A tale of Provinces...why the chip?

Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A tale of Provinces...why the chip?

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Throwing this open to the floor - why are people who live in NS (or are looking at moving to NS) so "it's fabulous" about the place? There seems to be a culture of only being able to say something nice about NS - any kind of comment that may be deemed as being against it, can cause major outcry. It's like by admitting you agree with a negative about the place is a social faux pas.

The same doesn't seem to happen anywhere else - so why is it so prevalent here in NS?
The dear departed val50, who I'll being seeing next week, and that tedious clay chap are counter examples.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I'm not sure about that Amy. If I say I like living in Alberta, I am an oil-guzzling, non eco friendly, right wing, racist redneck.
Yup.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It's that same for some on here when one criticises anything to do with Canada. In my opinion if a place is that good it can stand up to a little critique.
+1

I love Vancouver and am happy to be a Canadian citizen, but damn, people. There's still plenty to whine about

Anyway, the truth is the truth. People need to toughen up.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:01 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed a similar touchiness in the NZ forum. NZ is similar to NS in that it's a bit of a backwater, not that fabulous economically, constantly losing people to it's bigger brighter neighbour (Australia) (every West for NS) etc....

Maybe that's why people get so touchy.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yup.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
The locals bitch about the weather so why can't the immigrants?
'Cos as immigrants we hand-picked the environment we wanted to move to. To then bitch about it is pretty petty. I'm happy to moan about the UK weather, it was a small contributory factor to my emigration. Here I'm somewhere I want to be rather than somewhere I was born into, so I feel less inclined to need to bitch.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
That's odd. You must move in that kind of company. I haven't met anyone like that.
Well, I do know a lot of people.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:38 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
'Cos as immigrants we hand-picked the environment we wanted to move to. To then bitch about it is pretty petty. I'm happy to moan about the UK weather, it was a small contributory factor to my emigration. Here I'm somewhere I want to be rather than somewhere I was born into, so I feel less inclined to need to bitch.
Not always..sometimes the place picks you..originally i was going to go to NS then decided work wise it wasn't the best option..then i chose Windsor Ontario which i really liked..but again work was an issue and finally landed in London Ontario three weeks in i was made a job offer i couldn't refuse and moved to Edmonton.

I didn't choose Alberta it wasn't even on my radar, so i feel i have every right to moan about country and western, cowboys and the general day to day bug bears of the province...i do like the weather though
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

At the end of the day, we (well the majority on here) are British.

The weather is a conversation starter for most brits. We like to moan about it, usually because in Britain it's so damn awful.

You can't shake the habit of a lifetime!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's called living here and to have stopped being aware that you are an immigrant in every statement you make.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:38 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The dear departed val50, who I'll being seeing next week...
I assumed you were going to France, not Switzerland...
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:01 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you don't really know until you have lived with temperatures and conditions, before that they are just figures I suppose and you can't imagine the feeling of -30 until you have done it. Most of the time when it's that temperature, here it is blue skies and sun so it's not that bad. As they say, you get used to it. The only bit of it I have an issue with is the wind chill, as this is unimaginable until you have lived it.

Not sure of the percentage of people who can live with conditions for a few years, decide it's not for them, and have the funds and patience to uproot the whole family to sunnier climes.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Throwing this open to the floor - why are people who live in NS (or are looking at moving to NS) so "it's fabulous" about the place? There seems to be a culture of only being able to say something nice about NS - any kind of comment that may be deemed as being against it, can cause major outcry. It's like by admitting you agree with a negative about the place is a social faux pas.

The same doesn't seem to happen anywhere else - so why is it so prevalent here in NS?
I'm curious Amy - why do you think that is?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:27 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, agree. You picked the place so stop whinging.

Same as the amount of whinging that goes on about holidays.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:52 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Yeah, agree. You picked the place so stop whinging.

Same as the amount of whinging that goes on about holidays.
I suppose it's being so tolerant that keeps you going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.