Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

supercilious puritan wine merchants

supercilious puritan wine merchants

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:14 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default supercilious puritan wine merchants

I've had a glass or two too many to find the thread on things that annoy you about Canada - perhaps a helpful mod can merge this if it's appropriate.

We have a house guest for a few days who likes a glass or two of an evening. So we head off to the wine shop thingy attached to the Superstore (from pastperformance, has a better selection of drinkable stuff than the LCBO). Our guest, who earns a bob or two more than most, offers to buy a few bottles to see us through the weekend. Chappie behind the desk gives us the third degree. "You want a dozen of these and a hlaf dozen of these? That's some party you're having." "No, it's just the three of us will likely be drinking, but it's got to see ud through to Tuesday." Cue sudden sharp intake of breath, and I seriously thought for a moment he wouldn't sell us 18 bottles unless we promised to share them with many, many more people.

Still, the first three have been very nice. THe fourth is a bit wobblier, and I think it's bedtime. Silly man shouldn't be working in a wine shop if he doesn't approve of people drinkign wine. Inniskillin's East-West series, a merlot-cabernet blending Niagara and Okanagan grapes, in case you were wondering. It's really very quaffable.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:18 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: supercilious puritan wine merchants

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I've had a glass or two too many to find the thread on things that annoy you about Canada - perhaps a helpful mod can merge this if it's appropriate.

We have a house guest for a few days who likes a glass or two of an evening. So we head off to the wine shop thingy attached to the Superstore (from pastperformance, has a better selection of drinkable stuff than the LCBO). Our guest, who earns a bob or two more than most, offers to buy a few bottles to see us through the weekend. Chappie behind the desk gives us the third degree. "You want a dozen of these and a hlaf dozen of these? That's some party you're having." "No, it's just the three of us will likely be drinking, but it's got to see ud through to Tuesday." Cue sudden sharp intake of breath, and I seriously thought for a moment he wouldn't sell us 18 bottles unless we promised to share them with many, many more people.

Still, the first three have been very nice. THe fourth is a bit wobblier, and I think it's bedtime. Silly man shouldn't be working in a wine shop if he doesn't approve of people drinkign wine. Inniskillin's East-West series, a merlot-cabernet blending Niagara and Okanagan grapes, in case you were wondering. It's really very quaffable.
Post of the year. You really should take the Morgan out for a blast now.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:25 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Next time tell him it's got to last until 11pm because after this 1/2 dozen runs out there's that 1/2 dozen and after that one there's only 1/2 dozen left.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:28 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Next time tell him it's got to last until 11pm because after this 1/2 dozen runs out there's that 1/2 dozen and after that one there's only 1/2 dozen left.
but there's a dozen of the first one. Well, there was. There isn't any more. I mean, yes, there is some more, but there isn't a dozen any more, because we've had some of them. Buggrit (thank you, Mr Pratchett, for an excellent all-purpose expletive that doesn't get asterisked), you know what I mean.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:59 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently started trying the cabernet/merlot blend (XOXO) and find it quite good but since I've been buying mostly Jackson Triggs or their many other brands out of the liquor store most of it's blended anyway. $10 is enough for plonk but if I want to spend $16 or $20 I'd rather buy when I'm in BC and drive up to Wild Goose Winery at OK Falls and get my favourites. My go-to party meal right now is steak and chips and a half bottle! Don't know why the man in Superstore is worried about your liver..... makes no sense.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:02 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Should have asked the wineshop guy what went well with breakfast....
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:14 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

keep going in & getting more each day & see when he loses it
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:15 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I've seen it done...... for full breakfast or bacon sandwiches the rest of the merlot or shiraz but if someone's going to get up and make quiche and a fruit tray pop open some champagne or reasonable facsimile (korbel, frexisnet, heinkeltroken) and provide orange juice for people to mix if they like. In cafes in Montreal it wasn't uncommon to see people having bacon and eggs and wine in the morning.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Or what would the grandchildren likely enjoy.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
And do they do wine for pets.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I find taking an infant or small child around the liquor store gets one glanced at. Particularly when she says "can I get your your usual Daddy?"
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

What I want to know is how you put together such a well thought out post, without spelling mistakes and some good 'n' proper grammar like. After three bottles of luvverly plonk.

Well done that man. And a top up sir?
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:55 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
What I want to know is how you put together such a well thought out post, without spelling mistakes and some good 'n' proper grammar like. After three bottles of luvverly plonk.

AI enhanced word processor.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:33 am
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by ann m

This evening has been marginally less excessive so far. But that may have more to do with the fact that we are preparing for middle child's fifth birthday party tomorrow. SWMBO is in the process of producing another fabulous cake (the request was for a Monarch butterfly; my services were required for makign a template to shape the cakes, but the decoration is another thing entirely. I'll post a pic tomorrow if it turns out as well as it looks half way through the process.....). And we're mindful of the fact that we have a dozen small people to deal with for two hours in the early afternoon. I think we're saving ourselves for the onslaught that tomorrow night may bring. We've made a decent dent in the supply, though.

A top up would be splendid, thanks.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Oct 23rd 2011 at 3:36 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very intriguing cocktail at the bar downstairs on Friday.

They have had in a "celebrity" chef for the week and been offering a range of fancy mexican meals and cocktails.

It was called a "Kentucky Breakfast"- I kid you not it came with two eggs in it and several strips of bacon fused with several shots and a mixer.

When I commented on how enjoyable it was- it sparked a run on the bar........

I am pleased to dedicate my 2000th post to such a beautiful creation.

I am also now embarrasingly approaching my 5 year anniversary on this forum.

Last edited by JamesM; Oct 23rd 2011 at 7:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.