View Poll Results: Where should I spend my first Christmas without my Fiance?
In Canada
46.67%
In England
53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Some opinions please

Old Nov 18th 2010, 4:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some opinions please

Thing is , in your mind you were as good as married to him, but in their mind that hadnt happened yet so you are not due anything in his estate unless he wrote you into his will, which I am guessing didnt happen. Technically his dad is right, you are driving his sons car, although he will sell it to you if you have the money.

Is it worth 3k, it might be worth more and he is actually doing you a favour?

If there is a valid will then all bets are off, but its hard for everyone when someone they love dies and we all deal with it differently. Maybe hes dealing with it by doing the best job he can for his son in clearing up the loose end and dealing with the probate issues and all that.

At a guess what he means by "acting like you own Simon" is that you need to recognise that they lost a son that they have loved a lot longer than you had known him, its not just you that is grieving, and as you were not married its not your place to deal with his stuff Im afraid, unless that is outlined somewhere on paper.

Chin up, its all just stuff, go where the people who can best support you are.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 18th 2010 at 4:44 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Thing is , in your mind you were as good as married to him, but in their mind that hadnt happened yet so you are not due anything in his estate unless he wrote you into his will, which I am guessing didnt happen. Technically his dad is right, you are driving his sons car, although he will sell it to you if you have the money.

Is it worth 3k, it might be worth more and he is actually doing you a favour?

If there is a valid will then all bets are off, but its hard for everyone when someone they love dies and we all deal with it differently. Maybe hes dealing with it by doing the best job he can for his son in clearing up the loose end and dealing with the probate issues and all that.

Chin up, its all just stuff, go where the people who can best support you are.
The thing is, I offered to pay for all the funeral costs. If he wants to get like that then I can throw that expense back at them. I am even paying for their floral tributes. I personally can't understand, as parents, why they would not want to contribute something towards their only Son's funeral They haven't even offered to pay for their own flowers. For me it's not about the money, I am just upset that they seem to be okay taking things when it's their right, but it's also their right as next of kin to pay for the funeral. Their not fighting me on that though. Funny eh!! Plus, even though the car was registered to him, it was actually my money that paid for it from my last car. I haven't mentioned that though. I am just going to give them the car. It's only stuff.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 4:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see why you should be out of pocket either way. Yes its stuff, but fair is fair too. Do they know it was your money that paid for it I wonder.

Are the hurting for money then do you think?

In any case, you probably have more to gain in talking to them than talking to us, that are going through the same loss as you are after all. Strength in numbers and all that.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 18th 2010 at 5:04 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice

This is a tough time of year for anyone that has recently lost someone and you will have to encounter the "firsts" over the next year (first xmas, first birthday etc).
I believe only you know what the best answer is for you and I truly believe that your gut instinct is sometimes there for a reason.

Some time away from his parents may be a good thing for all of you as go through the grieving process.

Wherever you decide to be, your thoughts of your partner will be with you.
Big hugs
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont see why you should be out of pocket either way. Yes its stuff, but fair is fair too. Do they know it was your money that paid for it I wonder.

Are the hurting for money then do you think?

In any case, you probably have more to gain in talking to them than talking to us, that are going through the same loss as you are after all. Strength in numbers and all that.
I'm not sure? We did have a deal though. He said I could keep the car a couple of months ago so I sold my other one so I could pay the mortgage. He has now changed his mind!

I would talk to them but they don't often talk to me. Plus it's nice to get peoples opinions.

I just wish we had been married, it makes such a difference
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Broady's
This is a tough time of year for anyone that has recently lost someone and you will have to encounter the "firsts" over the next year (first xmas, first birthday etc).
I believe only you know what the best answer is for you and I truly believe that your gut instinct is sometimes there for a reason.

Some time away from his parents may be a good thing for all of you as go through the grieving process.

Wherever you decide to be, your thoughts of your partner will be with you.
Big hugs
Thank you