Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Social Distancing and the Future of Airline Travel?

Social Distancing and the Future of Airline Travel?

Old Apr 10th 2020, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Distancing and the Future of Airline Travel?

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The scenario you're describing sounds hopefully realistic. Suppose the curve flattens in the UK or in Germany and in Canada as well at the same time and infections go down to zero or so. If only travellers from certain countries with the same or a lower infection rate came into Canada the travel would be possible and the 14 day quarantine wouldn't be required anymore. However I don't know if politicians think or would see it the same way.
I've read a few of your posts on other threads, it may be that once the world opens up a bit more and it would make sense to travel people like you and I would just need to decide to suck up the 14 day quarantine but then enjoy some time in our (other) home countries.

If the work from home / do school from home thing continues, but things start to relax at the same time and the pandemic comes to an end, I would consider flying back to Malta for 6-8 weeks or more, spending the first 14 days in isolation/quarantine at a nice villa with views of the sea. But that's only realistic in an optimistic scenario where it's actually safe or practical to do that.

I fear the travel deterrent in the form of the 14 day quarantine will remain for quite a while, if only to discourage people from traveling as a precaution to prevent as much spread as possible, even as we finish off the pandemic and start to go back to normal.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 6:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I've read a few of your posts on other threads, it may be that once the world opens up a bit more and it would make sense to travel people like you and I would just need to decide to suck up the 14 day quarantine but then enjoy some time in our (other) home countries.

If the work from home / do school from home thing continues, but things start to relax at the same time and the pandemic comes to an end, I would consider flying back to Malta for 6-8 weeks or more, spending the first 14 days in isolation/quarantine at a nice villa with views of the sea. But that's only realistic in an optimistic scenario where it's actually safe or practical to do that.

I fear the travel deterrent in the form of the 14 day quarantine will remain for quite a while, if only to discourage people from traveling as a precaution to prevent as much spread as possible, even as we finish off the pandemic and start to go back to normal.
I'm a rational, level headed sort of person and frankly I don't want to get in a tin can with numerous others and travel for any length of time in the foreseeable future. I wasn't a fan before to be honest, it was simply a means to an end. Now (or whenever we head back to 'normality') it's going to have to be something pretty bloody important to get me that close to other humans. Being a parent with a daughter in the UK, my mind has obviously gone down the 'if she dies, wtf do I do' rabbit hole and tbh I couldn't come up with any answer I liked.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Far too much travelling in the last 30 years
Old Apr 10th 2020, 7:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wont fly until this thing calms down a lot or there is a vaccine. I like flying, but I wouldn't risk it at this point. Once non-essential travel is allowed cross border again, I'll just keep my travelling via car between BC and California and do some exploring of the US west coast.

Looks like Air Canada is planning to add some international flights back in May, but I am not so sure the Canadian government will lift the travel restrictions on foreign nationals by then, or maybe they will and Air Canada knows something we dont.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 10th 2020 at 7:40 am.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

The reason, why I am following so much this subject is that I simply won't have neither a decent job, or possibly any sort of income, unless that 14 day quarantine requirement is lifted and I am able to fly to Canada and back again. ( sadly, I would have to take the trip twice) I can't do my job from home at all, in the field I am in, thus that 14 day quarantine requirement are 14 lost days, only accumulating cost, but not an income.

I wont fly until this thing calms down a lot or there is a vaccine. I like flying, but I wouldn't risk it at this point. Once non-essential travel is allowed cross border again, I'll just keep my travelling via car between BC and California and do some exploring of the US west coast.

Looks like Air Canada is planning to add some international flights back in May, but I am not so sure the Canadian government will lift the travel restrictions on foreign nationals by then, or maybe they will and Air Canada knows something we dont.
If things die down before there is a vaccine then travel would or should be allowed again, as the virus disappears like Sars. Regarding Air Canada planning to add flight in May, I am not certain, whether there is real an interest in flying tourists or business travellers, or it's just an effort to comply with any rules / regulations to keep up slots for take of or landing at airports, or to keep a minimum of airplanes flying for simple technical reasons?

Incidentally, the 14 day quarantine requirement also applies, if you're returning from the US back to Canada, as far as I know. Citizenship isn't the problem to me, as I am Canadian. However, if Air Canada is really adding international flights, they would only seem to fly Canadians and permanent residents, but not US citizens or citizens of other countries. Thus the choice in flights would be limited.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Apr 10th 2020 at 8:33 am.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If things die down before there is a vaccine then travel would or should be allowed again, as the virus disappears like Sars.

Incidentally, the 14 day quarantine requirement also applies, if you're returning from the US back to Canada, as far as I know. Citizenship isn't the problem to me, as I am Canadian. However, if Air Canada is really adding international flights, they would only seem to fly Canadians and permanent residents, but not US citizens or citizens of other countries. Thus the choice in flights would be limited.
Yes the 14 days does apply to returns from the US as well, but I wont be travelling anytime soon, next year at the very earliest assuming no emergency happens back home.

With current restrictions, I just don't seem how they will find enough passengers, but there is always cargo, who knows, they could very well pull the schedule between now and May too.

Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The reason, why I am following so much this subject is that I simply won't have neither a decent job, or possibly any sort of income, unless that 14 day quarantine requirement is lifted and I am able to fly to Canada and back again. ( sadly, I would have to take the trip twice) I can't do my job from home at all, in the field I am in, thus that 14 day quarantine requirement are 14 lost days, only accumulating cost, but not an income.
Most people I know would love to only have 28 days without income, they've all (myself included) not earned anything for a month now and I can't see any possibility of earning a penny for at least another 2 months. Just one month would without pay would be heaven in comparison!

Not a lot you can do tbh, you'll have to just suck it up and do it if required, or wait it out and see if the requirements are eased.

Old Apr 10th 2020, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Most people I know would love to only have 28 days without income, they've all (myself included) not earned anything for a month now and I can't see any possibility of earning a penny for at least another 2 months. Just one month would without pay would be heaven in comparison!

Not a lot you can do tbh, you'll have to just suck it up and do it if required, or wait it out and see if the requirements are eased.
No doubt. Anyone employed right now at full hours still is doing pretty well all things considered.

In a month my province went from 5.5% unemployment to over 7% and by next month I imagine will be even higher.

I never even got to start the job I was hired for end of February. The job offer was cancelled before I could be trained.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 12:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm a rational, level headed sort of person and frankly I don't want to get in a tin can with numerous others and travel for any length of time in the foreseeable future. I wasn't a fan before to be honest, it was simply a means to an end. .....
This, absolutely!
Old Apr 10th 2020, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a rational, level headed sort of person and frankly I don't want to get in a tin can with numerous others and travel for any length of time in the foreseeable future. I wasn't a fan before to be honest, it was simply a means to an end. Now (or whenever we head back to 'normality') it's going to have to be something pretty bloody important to get me that close to other humans. Being a parent with a daughter in the UK, my mind has obviously gone down the 'if she dies, wtf do I do' rabbit hole and tbh I couldn't come up with any answer I liked.
To each their own I guess...its never bothered me and the only reason i'm not travelling is because we aren't allowed to and it truly isn't safe...but if the government is cool with allowing people to travel for non-essential purposes again in a few months i'm not going to think much of it, if I want to go somewhere and it's allowed then i'll go.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a rational, level headed sort of person and frankly I don't want to get in a tin can with numerous others and travel for any length of time in the foreseeable future. I wasn't a fan before to be honest, it was simply a means to an end. Now (or whenever we head back to 'normality') it's going to have to be something pretty bloody important to get me that close to other humans.
+1 Hubby and I always took precautions when flying (even down to wearing a mask if taking an overnight flight), but right now, who knows how many asymptomatic people will be out and about once restrictions are lifted ? Yikes .....

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Apr 10th 2020 at 9:55 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 10:31 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Far too much travelling in the last 30 years
I do agree with this quite a lot actually. I have travelled rather a lot in the past, but not for the last 20 years as I was in France and Canada. I was always travelling for work before this and stayed put for a number years wherever I ended up. It is cheap travel for mass numbers of people for short durations that has made C19 such a bloody nightmare. They are all sardine canning around and it makes traceability impossible.

Two weeks before all this thing erupted, my colleague on a Tuesday told me how fed up she was with the weather and on Thursday morning sent me an email saying she’d be back in a week as she and her husband needed a break and had gone to Cuba. She got back the day before they closed it all down.

I don’t expect to travel. This perhaps sounds sad, but I’ve no family out of Canada, and not much desire to do so, except when my son leaves Uni and then I will up sticks and go and not come back. I do have holiday’s but not by air. It is this expectation that people now seem to have that they can bob in and out every couple of weeks, like bloody corks, that has not helped this.

We need to re-look at our ‘need’ to travel, and why we are doing it. If it’s just to tick something off a bucket list, it’s not worth it.

I am not anti flight, I am married to a commercial airline pilot, who is still flying, but not carrying bucket loads of people trying to avoid inclement weather. He is following very strict guidelines as are all the other pilots.

I agree entirely with these periods of isolation and it is the only thing that is going to protect our communities.

My neighbour is in her 80’s and her son is dying of cancer in NS he is in a hospice and she can’t get to him, and it is so horribly sad. She can’t cross her the border or fly...if she goes to NS she would be in self isolation for 14 days...and it’s unlikely he has 14 days. She has not complained once.

OrangeMango if you want to come and live in Canada and you want to partake of life here then it comes with the price of doing the right thing. Don’t let us down, or try to dodge or wrangle. This is a new life going forward...it’s not pleasant, or financially easy, but the other options aren’t great either...
Old Apr 10th 2020, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Just a thought but when the Canadian govt sends a plane to repatriate citizens who have been in high risk situations why on the flight home dont they deploy the emergency oxygen masks so the passengers dont get infected breathing in the filthy recycled air that we all breath when on a flight. i would be pissed off if i had spent 3 weeks quarantined on a cruise liner only to get infected during the rescue mission.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 11:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Just a thought but when the Canadian govt sends a plane to repatriate citizens who have been in high risk situations why on the flight home dont they deploy the emergency oxygen masks so the passengers dont get infected breathing in the filthy recycled air that we all breath when on a flight. i would be pissed off if i had spent 3 weeks quarantined on a cruise liner only to get infected during the rescue mission.
on the way back from the UK a few weeks ago, my daughter was sat next to an epidemiologist who worked for the WHO. She said that there is very little chance of contracting anything circulating in the air when on a plane.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
The oxygen generators only produce oxygen for a short time, only designed to get from cruise to a low enough altitude where oxygen levels are high enough to breathe.

Even with the mask on your still breathing in the cabin air.

Cabin air in aircraft is a mix of fresh and recycled and they have HEPA filters like medical facilities use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.